The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

pass to yourself

if an offensive player with ball control attempts a pass and it leaves his hands but never touches the floor, is it a travel???
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlu55 View Post
if an offensive player with ball control attempts a pass and it leaves his hands but never touches the floor, is it a travel???
Couple of points:

1. By rule and definition, it is impossible to pass the ball to oneself. A pass by definition is movement by a player who by throwing, batting or rolling the ball goes to another player.

2. If a player throws the ball and touches it before it hits the floor, it would be a travel. If the player is just tossing the ball between his hands and maintaining his pivot foot, then play on. Case book play 4.44.3 Situation D.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Couple of points:

1. By rule and definition, it is impossible to pass the ball to oneself. A pass by definition is movement by a player who by throwing, batting or rolling the ball goes to another player.

2. If a player throws the ball and touches it before it hits the floor, it would be a travel. If the player is just tossing the ball between his hands and maintaining his pivot foot, then play on. Case book play 4.44.3 Situation D.
I hope you don't mind a little help on #2 above -

2. If a player, who has picked up his dribble, throws the ball, moves his pivot foot, then catches the thrown ball, it is a violation.

It used to be an illegal dribble violation, but I seem to remember it was changed to a travel violation, which doesn't matter so much as the penalty is the same.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I hope you don't mind a little help on #2 above -

2. If a player, who has picked up his dribble, throws the ball, moves his pivot foot, then catches the thrown ball, it is a violation.

It used to be an illegal dribble violation, but I seem to remember it was changed to a travel violation, which doesn't matter so much as the penalty is the same.
Please allow a slight correction.

2. If a player, who has picked up his dribble, throws the ball, moves his pivot foot beyond the prescribed limits, then catches the thrown ball, it is a violation.

It is possible to move the pivot (by lifting it) and not travel.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're telling me! Must have had 5 times last night the girl lifted her pivot foot and passed, and the crowd is crying for a travel!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You're telling me! Must have had 5 times last night the girl lifted her pivot foot and passed, and the crowd is crying for a travel!
It's funny, cause if she'd have simply jumped off of both feet after establishing a pivot, no one would have said anything.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlu55 View Post

Concerning "pass to yourself," there's no such thing. That would not be a pass by definition.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2. If a player, who has picked up his dribble, throws the ball, moves his pivot foot beyond the prescribed limits, then catches the thrown ball, it is a violation.

I believe the commonly accepted meaning of "move the pivot foot" is "move the pivot foot to a new location on the floor", not "lift the pivot foot".
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't mind at all as long as you allow Mr. C. Rust to correct your correction.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 03:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I believe the commonly accepted meaning of "move the pivot foot" is "move the pivot foot to a new location on the floor", not "lift the pivot foot".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I don't mind at all as long as you allow Mr. C. Rust to correct your correction.
Yeah, I was picking nits.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Couple of points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Concerning "pass to yourself," there's no such thing. That would not be a pass by definition.
So good, it had to be said twice.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.