The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
In that case it is an intentional as a minimum and could easily be a flagrant. It sounds like there was intent to injure and thus is fragrant and a T
It was easily intentional but did not rise to the level of flagrant IMO. I'm very comfortable that I made the correct call even though I did not administer it 100% correctly.

As for the OP, after reading some of your posts it seems that you were in the mindset of "swinging elbow violation" and not foul. Obviously, the excessive swinging of the elbow without contact would have been a violation and no foul.

With contact, it is your judgment as to whether it is a common, intentional, or flagrant foul. If you do not deem it to rise to the level of intentional or flagrant, then it is a common foul and since the player had the ball it is a PC foul and no free throws are awarded. As noted, that is a correctable error.

Like I said before, we live and learn. I certainly learned something and got some clarification from this thread. Thanks for posting this.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
I reported it as swinging of the elbows, not PC.
One more note - there is no foul for "swinging the elbows," nor a mechanic for reporting such in NFHS.

You may very well know this, but I just wanted to note it as there is no specific rule for fouling with an elbow vs any other body part.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
One more note - there is no foul for "swinging the elbows," nor a mechanic for reporting such in NFHS.

You may very well know this, but I just wanted to note it as there is no specific rule for fouling with an elbow vs any other body part.
i agree its a violation unless you think its intentional or flagrant
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioref View Post
i agree its a violation unless you think its intentional or flagrant
That's not what I'm saying - You are right that there is a swinging the elbows violation. This is for if there is no contact.

If a player is swinging his elbows and makes contact, then you almost certainly have a common, intentional, or flagrant foul. But there is not a specific category of foul for swinging the elbows.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a mechanic for "excessively swinging of elbows" violation ... see mechanic #27 in the NFHS manual and page 200 of the IAABO manual.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
There is a mechanic for "excessively swinging of elbows" violation ... see mechanic #27 in the NFHS manual and page 200 of the IAABO manual.
Yes - but not for fouling with the elbow. That's my point. I'm obviously not being very clear.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes - but not for fouling with the elbow. That's my point. I'm obviously not being very clear.
Understood.