The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Swinging Elbows: Violation or Foul?

I always thought that this was a personal foul against the player, but when looking at the mechanics in the manuals, the call appears to be a violation. Which is it?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

contact=foul
no contact=violation
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial
I always thought that this was a personal foul against the player, but when looking at the mechanics in the manuals, the call appears to be a violation. Which is it?
Excessive and dangerous swinging of the Elbows - without contact - is a violation.

Swinging with contact made is a Personal Foul.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. If contact is made, is it intentional or flagrant? Does it just depend on the severity of the contact?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. If contact is made, is it intentional or flagrant? Does it just depend on the severity of the contact?
It could be I, F, common or PC, depending on the situation.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It could be I, F, common or PC, depending on the situation.
And TC also.....
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Note there may not be contact.

Coach's teach to clear a rebound by clearing out. Elbows are involved. In my games they better stay down and tight.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

if a defender turns normally with elbows out and a defender has his ol face where it shouldnt be -- ie right on the pivoting player -- and gets it in the chin with an elbow what do you got?

i got no call. there is a difference between swinging and pivoting and protecting the ball.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:55pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Talking Elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Note there may not be contact.

Coach's teach to clear a rebound by clearing out. Elbows are involved. In my games they better stay down and tight.
Some coaches teach to chin and pivot as specified in rules reference below. You're gonna lose a game check when we bet on this one...

Rule 4 SECTION 13 EXCESSIVE SWINGING OF ARM(S)/ELBOW(S)
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s), even without contacting an opponent.
ART. 2 . . . A player may extend arm(s) or elbow(s) to hold the ball under the chin or against the body.
ART. 3 . . . Action of arm(s) and elbow(s) resulting from total body movements as in pivoting or movement of the ball incidental to feinting with it, releasing it, or moving it to prevent a held ball or loss of control shall not be considered excessive.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
if a defender turns normally with elbows out and a defender has his ol face where it shouldnt be -- ie right on the pivoting player -- and gets it in the chin with an elbow what do you got?

i got no call. there is a difference between swinging and pivoting and protecting the ball.
If the defender was at his spot first and the player with the ball pivots into him, that sounds like a Player Control Foul to me.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
Some coaches teach to chin and pivot as specified in rules reference below. You're gonna lose a game check when we bet on this one...

Rule 4 SECTION 13 EXCESSIVE SWINGING OF ARM(S)/ELBOW(S)
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s), even without contacting an opponent.
ART. 2 . . . A player may extend arm(s) or elbow(s) to hold the ball under the chin or against the body.
ART. 3 . . . Action of arm(s) and elbow(s) resulting from total body movements as in pivoting or movement of the ball incidental to feinting with it, releasing it, or moving it to prevent a held ball or loss of control shall not be considered excessive.
You're trying to apply NCAA rules to a discussion of NFHS situations.

S rule 4-24-8
It is not legal to swing arms and elbows excessively. This occurs when:
a) Arms and elbows are swung while using the shoulders as a pivot, and the speed of the extended arms and elbose is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or pivot foot.
b) the aggressiveness with which the arms and elbows are swung could cause injury to another player if contacted.

You might serve a suspension if you try to argue a rule using a ruleset that doesn't apply. Would that cost you a game check?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
If the defender was at his spot first and the player with the ball pivots into him, that sounds like a Player Control Foul to me.
Me too......
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the first time for me to talk on this site: . Please educate me on the process as I do not know how this works. I hope someone sees this answer. Anyway, the Rules book calls this a Violation if the elbow swinging is "excessive". If the swinging involves contact, then we have a "foul". Please contact me at [email protected]
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

why contact you via email -- this is a forum to discuss issues

THIS IS SIMPLE

NO CONTACT = VIOLATION (LIKE TRAVEL, OOB, 3 SECONDS, DOUBLE DRIBBLE ETC.)

IF CONTACT = COMMON FOUL, INTENTIONAL FOUL, FLAGRANT FOUL, TEAM CONTROL FOUL ETC.

THIS ALL COVERS THE TERM EXCESSIVE -- On a normal pivot with the offensive player chinning the ball and protecting it -- elbow to defnse contact will either be PC, Defensive foul or No call. Up to your judgement
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Me too......
Me three fwiw.....