The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Extra duty

Tonight my crew was lounging around in the locker room before getting dressed for our varsity game.

Game manager came in and asked us if one of us would mind finishing the JV game as one of the officials pulled a leg muscle. I said I would and dressed in time to work part of the third and the entire fourth quarter. JV guy tried handing me the ball between quarters and I gave it back to him.

Easy quarter+. Then I was the R for the varsity game, 3-person. Blowout.

Heading to Chitown now for a hockey game in the late morning...
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Tonight my crew was lounging around in the locker room before getting dressed for our varsity game.

Game manager came in and asked us if one of us would mind finishing the JV game as one of the officials pulled a leg muscle. I said I would and dressed in time to work part of the third and the entire fourth quarter. JV guy tried handing me the ball between quarters and I gave it back to him.

Easy quarter+. Then I was the R for the varsity game, 3-person. Blowout.

Heading to Chitown now for a hockey game in the late morning...

Can tell your not from the area 'Chitown' is like nails on a chalkboard to any decent Chicagoan.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Can tell your not from the area 'Chitown' is like nails on a chalkboard to any decent Chicagoan.
I know. That's why I used it. I'm pretty well-traveled because of my job and to be quite honest, Chicago is my least favorite major city in the United States.

I'd refer to SF as Frisco, but I actually like SF.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 05:41am
Archaic Power Monger

You're a good egg, Rich. I wish you had been one of the three varsity officials that sat in the stands last week while I worked my JV game by myself.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know. That's why I used it. I'm pretty well-traveled because of my job and to be quite honest, Chicago is my least favorite major city in the United States.

I'd refer to SF as Frisco, but I actually like SF.
Must be your proximity to it. Chicago is one of my 3 favorite cities in the world, and the only one in the US.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:26am
I miss being on the floor

He's probably a Packer fan....

Hey Rich...Go Hawks!!!
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:51am
In Memoriam

Chicago is my second favorite city.

All the rest are tied for first.

-from a real old officials joke.......
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
You're a good egg, Rich. I wish you had been one of the three varsity officials that sat in the stands last week while I worked my JV game by myself.
Sux. Like Rich, I've seen a senior official who arrived early for the game, go help out a fellow official going solo. I know allot of us wouldn't have an issue with that. Can't believe they left you hanging.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Must be your proximity to it. Chicago is one of my 3 favorite cities in the world, and the only one in the US.
It's a typical reaction from beyond the cheddar curtain. Something to do with an inferiority complex that most cheese heads have. Even if packers win today, fans still have to live in Green Bay.

Sign at a Green Bay night club...... Two tooth minimum.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow!!!
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:05am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I got to my V game about midway through the 1st qtr & a newbie was working alone. Not only that, he had a yellow lanyard and metal whistle.
I told the AD & V HC I would get dressed quick and help him out till the partner arrived. Got onto the court before the 1st qtr ended. Partway through the 2nd qtr, I saw the partner [who would be the R in our game] arrive. During a break, I motioned him over to take my place. And at HT, I gave the newbie a spare unused fox40 and smitty.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:21am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Been there, done that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
And at HT, I gave the newbie a spare unused fox40 and smitty.
Last weekend at Rec Ball, one of our newbies arrived to work with me and no whistle. I too carry several spares.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Modus Operandi ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Last weekend at Rec Ball, one of our newbies arrived to work with me and no whistle.
Probably expected you to make every call, inside, and outside, of your primary, as usual. Wanted you to take a hint.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
It's a typical reaction from beyond the cheddar curtain. Something to do with an inferiority complex that most cheese heads have. Even if packers win today, fans still have to live in Green Bay.

Sign at a Green Bay night club...... Two tooth minimum.
I've lived in Wisconsin for 9 years. Before that I lived in PA, TN, LA, WA, and MA (including in or near Philadelphia, New Orleans, Seattle, and Boston). My favorite US city is probably Seattle (it's the only one I'd live in again of the ones I've lived in before).

Trust me when I say that the best result of that game today (for me) would've been some natural disaster in which nobody got hurt but both the Bears and Packers would've lost the game. I think the main reason I don't like Chicago is that I like cities where I land at an airport and am already there. The drive from Madison to Chicago is my least favorite drive in the world and why I don't like going to the city. I'd rather drive to Minneapolis.

And the hockey game was great -- I'm a Flyers fan and they won 4-1.

On day I'll actually go to Green Bay. I've umpired college baseball in DePere, but have never actually been in Green Bay.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Then Seattle is not a good city for you as when you land you are in the city of SeaTac. To get into Seattle takes a 15-30 minute drive.

Quote:
I've lived in Wisconsin for 9 years. Before that I lived in PA, TN, LA, WA, and MA (including in or near Philadelphia, New Orleans, Seattle, and Boston). My favorite US city is probably Seattle (it's the only one I'd live in again of the ones I've lived in before).

Trust me when I say that the best result of that game today (for me) would've been some natural disaster in which nobody got hurt but both the Bears and Packers would've lost the game. I think the main reason I don't like Chicago is that I like cities where I land at an airport and am already there. The drive from Madison to Chicago is my least favorite drive in the world and why I don't like going to the city. I'd rather drive to Minneapolis.

And the hockey game was great -- I'm a Flyers fan and they won 4-1.

On day I'll actually go to Green Bay. I've umpired college baseball in DePere, but have never actually been in Green Bay.