The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Then Seattle is not a good city for you as when you land you are in the city of SeaTac. To get into Seattle takes a 15-30 minute drive.
I don't need to be lectured about a place where I've actually lived. SEA to the city is a cakewalk compared with the drive from Madison to Chicago.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Can tell your not from the area 'Chitown' is like nails on a chalkboard to any decent Chicagoan.
That might be a cultural thing, I hear that by people that grew up and lived their all the time. As a matter of fact I know many people that call it "The Chi."

Peace
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

LMAO True it can be a cakewalk of a drive depending on which route you take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't need to be lectured about a place where I've actually lived. SEA to the city is a cakewalk compared with the drive from Madison to Chicago.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 08:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm guessing it beats the drive from O'Hare to Chicago. Just a guess, though, since I've never been to Seattle.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That might be a cultural thing, I hear that by people that grew up and lived their all the time. As a matter of fact I know many people that call it "The Chi."

Peace
Any favorite term by Chet Coppock is not high on my list.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will say O'Hare is my least favorite airport.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I will say O'Hare is my least favorite airport.
I flew out of O'Hare for the first time in 5 years in November. Miserable, miserable experience. I had to interview a potential new employee for my company and then head directly to Kansas City, so I had little choice. I got yelled at by the TSA and the ridiculed when I refused to go through the nude-o-scope (I refuse to subject myself to unnecessary radiation just cause it makes Ma and Pa Kettle feel safer when they fly once every 5 years).

I won't fly any airlines that even *connect* at O'Hare, which is why I've flown nothing but Northwest (now Delta) for the past 5 years.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Rich,

I noticed in another thread that hockey is your favourite sport and that you would officiate it if you could skate. Well I live in Canada and I played hockey for 20 years but I couldn't see myself refereeing hockey. Once you stop going to those cold arenas on a regular basis it's hard to go back. I do have friends who officiate hockey and they're always trying to get me involved. But I've got a full basketball schedule at this point and of course the two seasons conflict. Hockey is a great sport; watching a great goal, a great save or a great check is as exciting as any play in any sport (IMHO).
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I flew out of O'Hare for the first time in 5 years in November. Miserable, miserable experience. I had to interview a potential new employee for my company and then head directly to Kansas City, so I had little choice. I got yelled at by the TSA and the ridiculed when I refused to go through the nude-o-scope (I refuse to subject myself to unnecessary radiation just cause it makes Ma and Pa Kettle feel safer when they fly once every 5 years).

I won't fly any airlines that even *connect* at O'Hare, which is why I've flown nothing but Northwest (now Delta) for the past 5 years.
I go to O'Hare several times a year. My mom flies out of O'Hare several times a year to go to conferences twice during the summer and she drives up here to fly out of Chicago as opposed to flying out of St. Louis or the Quad Cities Cities. I also have picked up many people at Midway as well.

I love O'Hare as most flights I take are obviously from there and I go there often to pick up friends and family when they come to Chicago. It is easy to get in and easy to get out of. Midway is a nightmare to get to at many times a day, while O'Hare is 20 minutes from my house and even on the worst day of traffic it is relatively easy to get to. Midway would take me an hour get to and I have no idea when I can get back. I can leave late to pick someone up at O'Hare, park and be at the terminal so fast that I can do this all in my sleep. And having been to the Miami and LAX and DFW, I would take O'Hare any day over those I mentioned and the wait to get on a plane. I do not travel as much as others, but I have had very good experiences for the most part (other than United Airlines who I hate until this day). It just shows that we all want different things when we travel.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I go to O'Hare several times a year. My mom flies out of O'Hare several times a year to go to conferences twice during the summer and she drives up here to fly out of Chicago as opposed to flying out of St. Louis or the Quad Cities Cities. I also have picked up many people at Midway as well.

I love O'Hare as most flights I take are obviously from there and I go there often to pick up friends and family when they come to Chicago. It is easy to get in and easy to get out of. Midway is a nightmare to get to at many times a day, while O'Hare is 20 minutes from my house and even on the worst day of traffic it is relatively easy to get to. Midway would take me an hour get to and I have no idea when I can get back. I can leave late to pick someone up at O'Hare, park and be at the terminal so fast that I can do this all in my sleep. And having been to the Miami and LAX and DFW, I would take O'Hare any day over those I mentioned and the wait to get on a plane. I do not travel as much as others, but I have had very good experiences for the most part (other than United Airlines who I hate until this day). It just shows that we all want different things when we travel.

Peace
I live near MSN (Madison). I can get there about 30 minutes before the flight, there's no traffic, parking is $10 a day in the garage, and I'm usually upgraded into first class (because of my frequent flyer status). I pay with always having a connection.

Last year was the first year in about 7 that I was below 120K BIS (butt-in-seat) miles. I hope I make it 2 years in a row.

The worst part of travel is....the travel.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Rich,

I noticed in another thread that hockey is your favourite sport and that you would officiate it if you could skate. Well I live in Canada and I played hockey for 20 years but I couldn't see myself refereeing hockey. Once you stop going to those cold arenas on a regular basis it's hard to go back. I do have friends who officiate hockey and they're always trying to get me involved. But I've got a full basketball schedule at this point and of course the two seasons conflict. Hockey is a great sport; watching a great goal, a great save or a great check is as exciting as any play in any sport (IMHO).
+1. Ovechkin's famous goal is among the top plays of the decade.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Chicago is my second favorite city.

All the rest are tied for first.

-from a real old officials joke.......
Funny, but Chicago has the BEST pizza!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Funny, but Chicago has the BEST pizza!
Chicago Deep Dish YUM!!!

Just like Philadelphia has the best cheesesteaks
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's even more a cakewalk now thanks to the Sounder
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I got to my V game about midway through the 1st qtr & a newbie was working alone. Not only that, he had a yellow lanyard and metal whistle.
I told the AD & V HC I would get dressed quick and help him out till the partner arrived. Got onto the court before the 1st qtr ended. Partway through the 2nd qtr, I saw the partner [who would be the R in our game] arrive. During a break, I motioned him over to take my place. And at HT, I gave the newbie a spare unused fox40 and smitty.
Awesome story! I show up an hour early, besides the fact it is the right thing to do, for that same reason: I would love to walk in for the 5pm JV game and see only one official. I would love to step up and get to work with a new guy. I started 15 years ago and I still remember the "varsity" guys that would actually talk to me and try to help me out. You sir are a class act.