The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I have been umpiring fastpitch softball for about 15 years now and have been considering doing some baseball as well.I have progressed through the ranks and now do mainly higher level ball in three codes.(NFHS,NCAA,ASA)I passed my NFHS baseball test last year,but have umpired strictly softball games.My question to this forum is do many of you guys/gals umpire both softball and baseball.Other than the rule differences,is there any complications switching back and forth? My main concern is being able to call a consistant strike zone when doing both.I developed a very good,consistant zone in fastpitch softball and dont want to disrupt that groove,if you will.Any thoughts either way will be greatly appreciated.I am considering doing about 75% Softball and 25% Baseball at this point.I absolutely love the game of Softball,but have always had that itch for baseball since my high school playing days.Thanks.

Jeff
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
I have been umpiring fastpitch softball for about 15 years now and have been considering doing some baseball as well.I have progressed through the ranks and now do mainly higher level ball in three codes.(NFHS,NCAA,ASA)I passed my NFHS baseball test last year,but have umpired strictly softball games.My question to this forum is do many of you guys/gals umpire both softball and baseball.Other than the rule differences,is there any complications switching back and forth? My main concern is being able to call a consistant strike zone when doing both.I developed a very good,consistant zone in fastpitch softball and dont want to disrupt that groove,if you will.Any thoughts either way will be greatly appreciated.I am considering doing about 75% Softball and 25% Baseball at this point.I absolutely love the game of Softball,but have always had that itch for baseball since my high school playing days.Thanks.

Jeff
I began umpiring baseball in 1966 at the ripe age of 14. I worked a lot of baseball until about 1975 when I moved to FL. My job didn't permit any regular type of schedule, but I would work some scrimmages and practice games at the lower college levels. It didn't mean that much to me because it was no different than working high school ball.
Over the years, I picked-up a game here or there, but got so tired of the long, drawn out games and dealing with the BS the Billy Martin wannabes threw at the umpires, I said the hell with it and moved over to ASA.

I prefer SP because I like a game with some action. I work FP, but only when necessary.

As I stated before, of the umpires I know which work both, many treat softball, the mechanics and rules as an afterthought to their baseball game. I've seen regular baseball umpires basically mock softball folks as not being a "real" umpire because they don't work the real game. One of those is the gentleman who is instrumental in the maintenance of this site, Carl Childress.

So, I pretty much stay clear of a game I no longer can stand to watch, let alone umpire. When I do watch a baseball game, I am more often watching the officiating than the players.

So, it's obviously your decision, but remember, you will still be finishing up your single game on one field while the SP softball guys will have finished two for just about the same amount of money and enjoying that alternative adult beverage when you are just getting to the end of the 7th inning.

Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Like Mike, I started working baseball games at 14 and did exclusively baseball for the next 8 years. After moving to eastern Pa, I started playing fastpitch and then umpiring it. While I played, I might ump a total of 20-30 games a year and was a player first, then an umpire. At 33, my knees were bad enough that I had to ice each for a couple of hours after every game - it wasn't any fun to play anymore. When I quit playing, I got serious about umpiring and now work around 300 games a year. I got back into calling baseball games because they were having to cancel games due to an umpire shortage. I work some high school ball, Legion, and some wood bat adult ball - for a total of maybe 35 games a year.

As for working baseball - I use the same strikezone as I call in the upper level (men's major) games. It takes the baseball players about an inning to get used to it and then I have no impact on the game. Where I find my baseball is weakest is on the bases - recognizing balks. As far as the rest of it goes, good timing is good timing in both games. Judgement is judgement in both games.

I've let the high school assignors know that I am a softball umpire that also works some baseball games. I've let them know that I am serious about softball and should not be given any critical baseball games. They are greatful for the semi-warm body that that I put onto the field.

As for the differences in baseball & softball rules, Roger Greene has a terrific document showing Fed baseball & softball differences. Roger's kind of a regular here and will most likely gladly send you a copy if you ask him. For the most part, this is no more difficult than tracking the differences amongst ASA, Fed, and NCAA - and I get a copy of John Bennett's book every year - let me know if you want his email address.

Addition - Jeff, I will be down in your area on the 20th, working a couple of Kutztown games, at noon. I think the games are at KU's field, but they might be at Lyon's park.

Steve M

[Edited by Steve M on Sep 6th, 2003 at 12:11 PM]
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have any problem moving between baseball and softball. To me, the games are so different, there's no confusion.

In the late 1960s, I used to play semipro baseball on some nights and slow pitch softball on others, and people would assume that SP would mess up my timing for baseball. But the difference between hitting a baseball fired from 60 feet and hitting a SP lob is so great, it's like thinking that playing billiards could throw off your tennis game. In fact, SP might have helped me keep my eye on pitches in baseball.

I started at 16 in 1966 umpiring the 13–15 league I had played in. Four bucks a game. In fact, I still have my indicator from back then. It's a Rawlings, made of stainless steel, and I think it cost 49 cents. Embossed on it is something seldom seen today on an indicator: "Made in USA."
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Steve: Let me know for sure the field you will be at for the Kutztown games.I would like to stop up to meet you in person.Lyons is only 20 minutes from my house and is where our County and some Distict Playoffs games are held.It is also where the ASA Womens Major games are played.I umpired there quite a few times this year.Kutztown University is about the same distance away for me as well if your games are there.
Jeff
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the imput.I originally began umpiring fastpitch at the high school level because it fit well with my time constraints.I get off work at 2:30 PM and the games begin at 4:15.A good Varsity contest will only take an hour and 15 minutes or so.My children are getting older now so I do have more time available.Mike raised a good point as baseball definitely is a lot more drawn out and time consuming.If I decide to do some baseball,I believe I will do it the way Steve does.I would keep my softball umpiring as a top priority,and fill in with less critical baseball games.
Jeff
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Steve: Let me know for sure the field you will be at for the Kutztown games.I would like to stop up to meet you in person.Lyons is only 20 minutes from my house and is where our County and some Distict Playoffs games are held.It is also where the ASA Womens Major games are played.I umpired there quite a few times this year.Kutztown University is about the same distance away for me as well if your games are there.
Jeff
Jeff,
I talked with Judy today - via email. The games are at Kutztown. Game time is noon, so I'll plan on being there around 11:15-11:30.

Steve M
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

After 18 years of straight softball, I added baseball to my summer this year. I had never umpired baseball before and I found it a challenge.

I am definitely more serious about softball over baseball but I found it a nice diversion. The major problem I had was calling Balks. I am getting it, but it is different.

Here is what I found to be some differences.

* Calling Balks
* Players leading off and being able to be picked off. 2 times the players tried the hidden ball trick. I have never seen that in softball.
* Players stealing home on the pitch. A rarity in softball because of the leadoff rules.
* Parents seem to be a little calmer at the youth baseball level vs parents attitudes at girls JO softball games.
* Girls at the 12-15yr old level have better skills than boys at that age level. Even on boys traveling teams, it seems that girls can make some of the routine plays easier than the boys.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 06:05pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Other than the rule differences,is there any complications switching back and forth? My main concern is being able to call a consistant strike zone when doing both.
Jeff
Jeff,
I enjoy working both games, fastpitch and baseball, and at all levels. LL--->Adult
I very much enjoy the rule and mechanic differences.
Changing from big diamond to little diamond is a good mental simulant for me.
...But I only wear heather grey.
mick

Simulant? That's like pretending to think, I think.

[Edited by mick on Sep 9th, 2003 at 06:51 AM]
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti

* Parents seem to be a little calmer at the youth baseball level vs parents attitudes at girls JO softball games.
I believe this is because these parents haven't bought into the "win at all cost or my kid doesn't get a scholarship" bull.

Some parents believe they are being cheated out of financial aide if a call doesn't go their way. And yes, there are some very gullible parents in softball.