The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Working a game, and my partner tells me of working with a partner who blew a call right in front of him.

First dead ball after he goes up to his partner and says, "see this whistle? Next time you make a call right in front of me I'm gonna shove it up your a$$!"

I got a laugh. Later in the game we were working, I'm trail, he was lead. player in "the gray area" of just below free-throw line extended away from me (2 person) rises up to shoot and came back down. Player may have kept a toe down on the floor. Partner was squared up on the player in question, and I almost blew. Suddenly a thought of a whistle up my as$ entered my mind. , I let him make the call!

All good.
how could you think of putting air in your whistle if..."Player may have kept a toe down on the floor." either he did or he didnt yes its that simple lol and the thought of making a call in front of a P and a whistle up your a$$ well...that should never stop you from calling a violation or foul
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 07:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Had a play in my MS boys game Thursday night. Player was out of bounds (legally), got one foot (other off floor) in bounds then touched the ball. I was in the L and made no call. My partner in the T calls the play dead stating he was still out of bounds.

We discussed the play and we both saw the play as above. I made no call thinking you only need one foot in to re-establish inbound status. She called it because he did not have two feet in bounds. What is the correct ruling? I could not find it in either the rule book or case book.
I actually did this once. It was my first year, and likely within my first 10 games, too. After I made this mistake, it didn't feel right, and that was all the education I needed to know not to do it again.

I'm not sure what you ultimately did, but get together with your partner under the guise of a rule interpretation, correct your partner, and give the ball back to the team that deserves it.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 12:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I had a very good D1 official observe my game at camp this summer. He said to my partner, "He was the last one to touch it before going out, so he can't be. . . what?" We all looked at him stupidly until he said, "He can't be the first one to touch it. Ok?"

Sigh. Not exactly the same, but these kinds of simple misunderstandings shouldn't happen at that level.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rule is different than the HS rule...which may be why the D1 said what he did.

NCAA 9-4-1 makes it a violation for a player to be the first to touch a ball, after establishing inbounds status, after stepping out of bounds "under his/her own volition."
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The NCAA rule is different than the HS rule...which may be why the D1 said what he did.

NCAA 9-4-1 makes it a violation for a player to be the first to touch a ball, after establishing inbounds status, after stepping out of bounds "under his/her own volition."
That rule applies to players who run purposely OOB (usually to avoid or evade a defender and usually along the endline) and then receive a pass. Where as the HS rule makes it an immediate violation when the player leaves the court.

The D1 guy just got it wrong. Any player whose momentum takes him off the court can be the first to touch, except if dribbling the ball.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 02:37pm.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's incorrect. That rule applies to players who run purposely OOB (usually to avoid or evade a defender and usually along the endline) and then receives a pass. Need to look at 9-4-1a:

"a. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of
bounds as permitted by Rule 7-5.6.b, does not receive the pass along
the end line by a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after his
or her return to the playing court.
"
No. I posted the correct rule.

The subsection you posted references the rule (7-5.6.b) that says following a made basket, anyone from the offense may be out of bounds on the endline so they can receive a pass. If they are out of bounds (as allowed by this rule) and do not get a pass, they still may come inbounds and receive a pass without a violation. In all other instances under NCAA rules (men and women), a player may not return inbounds and be the first to touch the ball.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 02:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
No. I posted the correct rule.

The subsection you posted references the rule (7-5.6.b) that says following a made basket, anyone from the offense may be out of bounds on the endline so they can receive a pass. If they are out of bounds (as allowed by this rule) and do not get a pass, they still may come inbounds and receive a pass without a violation. In all other instances under NCAA rules (men and women), a player may not return inbounds and be the first to touch the ball.
I removed that reference....my post is corrected above.