The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'm not sure how that would really clarify anything that isn't already clear. I don't think anyone is arguing that a catch and shoot (or lob in your example) is not possible with .3 or less. It's the number of taps that is in question that can be possible in .3 or less. I'm not sure it's easily analyzed or possible to say without a doubt what can happen in that amount of time. You kind of just have to hope the clock starts on time and determine if the last tap occurred prior to the horn sounding. That's why we get paid the big bucks...
Actually if I remember correctly, it was determined that a catch and shoot could not be done with LESS than .3. Catch and shoot was possible if .3 was on the clock hence the reason the NBA rule states a catch and shoot is possible with .3 on the clock rather than NFHS which would be illegal.

As far as the editorial clarification, I don't think it's needed. Usually a clarification is needed when there is a misunderstanding about a situation. I don't know an official alive who would allow your "loophole" JAR.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 06:58pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Actually, and I can't believe I'm the only one to pick up on this, the thread title said 0.02 seconds. We just talked about tenths of seconds on another thread, but never in my life have I seen a clock with hundreths of seconds!

Let's hope that never evolves.
There is at least one model of scoreboard that I've seen at both a local JuCo and a local grade/high school gym where the clock shows hundreths of a second when the clock is stopped with less than a minute remaining.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Actually, and I can't believe I'm the only one to pick up on this, the thread title said 0.02 seconds. We just talked about tenths of seconds on another thread, but never in my life have I seen a clock with hundreths of seconds!

Let's hope that never evolves.
There is one in our league.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountyhoops View Post
What then happens to the possession to Team A from the intentional foul at half court. Does the technical foul erase that. i thought that given the ball had become dead. the technical was shot first and then the intentional, giving the ball back to Team A for a half court possession on the intentional.
Since the technical foul is the last one shot, it trumps the others before it. That is not rule book speak, but that is how I remember the concept.