The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

I have no idea

BV tonight. They paid homage to tomorrow's bears packer game with plenty of rough house stuff, but that's for another post.

I'm at table before game and visiting coach tells me he's going to use his delay game by lining up 4 players side by side, right on sideline facing stands and pass ball to each other and continue to run clock.

As a crew, we decided at half if he attempts this and defender/defenders are within closely guarded 6 feet we would call a violation, regardless of player handing to each other as they are being closely guarded without a 'break'.

Thankfully they won going away so didn't need to make a call. I'm really puzzled on this one. I know I've seen or heard this before

I just got home and haven't looked at case or rule book, thought I'd throw it out here.

I've seen this somewhere and can't recall. What say you???
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

9.10.1 SITUATION D:

Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt: (a) positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane; or (b) has four teammates surround dribbler A1. In both (a) and (b), the opponents are unable to get close to the ball.

RULING: This is considered to be a closely-guarded situation and a violation in five seconds in both (a) and (b), if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
9.10.1 SITUATION D:

Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt: (a) positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane; or (b) has four teammates surround dribbler A1. In both (a) and (b), the opponents are unable to get close to the ball.

RULING: This is considered to be a closely-guarded situation and a violation in five seconds in both (a) and (b), if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control.
XXX..............I knew it, just couldn't shake cobwebs. can't wait to email coach!!!
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
BV tonight. They paid homage to tomorrow's bears packer game with plenty of rough house stuff, but that's for another post.

I'm at table before game and visiting coach tells me he's going to use his delay game by lining up 4 players side by side, right on sideline facing stands and pass ball to each other and continue to run clock.

As a crew, we decided at half if he attempts this and defender/defenders are within closely guarded 6 feet we would call a violation, regardless of player handing to each other as they are being closely guarded without a 'break'.

Thankfully they won going away so didn't need to make a call. I'm really puzzled on this one. I know I've seen or heard this before

I just got home and haven't looked at case or rule book, thought I'd throw it out here.

I've seen this somewhere and can't recall. What say you???
Strange. Watching for closely guarded is about all you can do.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 04:41am
This IS My Social Life

Just Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
. . . use his delay game by lining up 4 players side by side, right on sideline facing stands and pass ball to each other and continue to run clock.
Had a team do this just yesterday. Two schools around here pull that out of the bag a couple of times each year. Easy call to make. This time the defense had the patience enough not to intentionally foul and the five seconds closely guarded call was not challenged.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

could 10.1.5 apply also?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Not if you call the five second violation.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
could 10.1.5 apply also?
Note: When you use periods, as in "10.1.5", people are going to check the case book because that's how they're numbered. If you use dashes, as in "10-1-5", they'll know you're talking about the rule book, because that's how the rule book is numbered. You can use whichever way you want, but if you want us to know what you're talking about, it's better to follow the standards.

Now, 10-1-5 can't be used because there's a specific case play that tells you to simply count to 5 and call the violation. Chances are, it may well lead to 10-4-1a technical foul from the head coach.