The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Designated starters

GV last night. I went over to the table with about 11 minutes left. (Captains at 12 minutes here and to the table right afterwards. May have been 11:15 or so on the clock when I walked over.) Noticed the visiting scorer was copying the official book. No biggy, I have other things to do.

So I chatted with the timer (the BV coach and a fine baseball umpire), took a bunch of air out of the basketball (it bounced up to my neck when I dropped it), and checked the possession arrows, etc. I also found out that a good sportsmanship report I sent after a previous game was read and appreciated by all -- I didn't even know it had been published.

With about 7 minutes on the clock, I finally got the official book and immediately noticed that the starters weren't marked. Actually, there were numbers next to the players and I thought that the ones marked "1" were the starters, so I asked the timer (as a coach, I figured he'd set me straight). He immediately called over the GV coach and brusquely told him that he needed to designate his starters. Whoops. The coach went down the list and picked five players as if he really didn't know who he was starting. Maybe he was just looking for the names in the book.

In the meantime, I signed the other book (the visiting scorer was nowhere to be found) and I had the timer enter the scorers in that book as well. I passed on assessing the technical foul, mainly because I would've had that fixed at 11 minutes had the book not been in the hands of the visiting scorer.

So, question for the group: Would it be better at 11 minutes to say to the visiting scorer -- "I need the official book for a minute and I'll give it right back to you" or simply do what I did? This little voice inside my head says I should've taken the book at 11 minutes just in case the visiting coach/scorer had made a big deal about this. As it was, we had no problems and the game was as you would expect between 4-7 and 0-10 teams (a 33-28 final that was 22-17 after 3 quarters).
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
GV last night. I went over to the table with about 11 minutes left. (Captains at 12 minutes here and to the table right afterwards. May have been 11:15 or so on the clock when I walked over.) Noticed the visiting scorer was copying the official book. No biggy, I have other things to do.

So I chatted with the timer (the BV coach and a fine baseball umpire), took a bunch of air out of the basketball (it bounced up to my neck when I dropped it), and checked the possession arrows, etc. I also found out that a good sportsmanship report I sent after a previous game was read and appreciated by all -- I didn't even know it had been published.

With about 7 minutes on the clock, I finally got the official book and immediately noticed that the starters weren't marked. Actually, there were numbers next to the players and I thought that the ones marked "1" were the starters, so I asked the timer (as a coach, I figured he'd set me straight). He immediately called over the GV coach and brusquely told him that he needed to designate his starters. Whoops. The coach went down the list and picked five players as if he really didn't know who he was starting. Maybe he was just looking for the names in the book.

In the meantime, I signed the other book (the visiting scorer was nowhere to be found) and I had the timer enter the scorers in that book as well. I passed on assessing the technical foul, mainly because I would've had that fixed at 11 minutes had the book not been in the hands of the visiting scorer.

So, question for the group: Would it be better at 11 minutes to say to the visiting scorer -- "I need the official book for a minute and I'll give it right back to you" or simply do what I did? This little voice inside my head says I should've taken the book at 11 minutes just in case the visiting coach/scorer had made a big deal about this. As it was, we had no problems and the game was as you would expect between 4-7 and 0-10 teams (a 33-28 final that was 22-17 after 3 quarters).
This is why I like to check the book at 14 and then do the captain's meeting at 12, although most in this area check the book when you do.

Yes, I'd take the book from the visiting scorer and check it then as he has at least 10 minutes to finish after you are done.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
This is why I like to check the book at 14 and then do the captain's meeting at 12, although most in this area check the book when you do.

Yes, I'd take the book from the visiting scorer and check it then as he has at least 10 minutes to finish after you are done.
If we went over at 14 minutes, the book wouldn't be done. Here we do captain meeting at 12 and go to the table right after. It's a well known protocol in the state. Even then, we frequently run into timers/scorers that are not at the table.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

If the official book is ready and the visitor is copying the info, I will ask them to let me borrow it for a minute while I do my thing. Sometimes they give me the stink eye, but that's not really my problem. There will be plenty of time for them to finish copying the info when I bring it back.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
.......took a bunch of air out of the basketball (it bounced up to my neck when I dropped it........
???

That's about right, isn't it? The ball is supposed to bounce up to between 49 and 54 inches. That's neck-high for you, isn't it?

Just couldn't help myself
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
???

That's about right, isn't it? The ball is supposed to bounce up to between 49 and 54 inches. That's neck-high for you, isn't it?

Just couldn't help myself
Bad Woddy! Bad, bad Woddy!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If the official book is ready and the visitor is copying the info, I will ask them to let me borrow it for a minute while I do my thing. Sometimes they give me the stink eye, but that's not really my problem. There will be plenty of time for them to finish copying the info when I bring it back.
Same here.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This little voice inside my head says I should've taken the book at 11 minutes just in case the visiting coach/scorer had made a big deal about this.
I wouldn't advise this in general, but in this case listen to the little voice. Who gets in trouble if they're still working on the book at 8:00, you or the scorer?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I wouldn't advise this in general, but in this case listen to the little voice. Who gets in trouble if they're still working on the book at 8:00, you or the scorer?
Well, to be honest, neither (in this case). I knew in that environment I could do pretty much whatever I wanted and nobody was going to say anything. I am kinda fond of following the rules, though.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

That's exactly why I prep my Varsity Girls scorebook during the JV boys game.
All R has to do is count up players and match to teams and sign the book.Speaking of the practice of having R sign the book below the last listed player so that no more can be added-how many areas use this practice?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
That's exactly why I prep my Varsity Girls scorebook during the JV boys game.
All R has to do is count up players and match to teams and sign the book.Speaking of the practice of having R sign the book below the last listed player so that no more can be added-how many areas use this practice?
The practice here is to right the number of names in the book in the space below the last name and to draw a line through the remain spaces.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Here its draw a line through the remaining spaces and R initials both sides!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Round here we have the coaches sign the book under their roster.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Round here we have the coaches sign the book under their roster.
I've taken to doing the same.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

As we rarely have a single game at a site, I think the book has been ready at the 10 minute mark exactly one time this year. It's not something I can worry about.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith