The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I know the rule book says that the coach must designate the starters at least 10 minutes before game time. What rule says that the coach must start the five players designated in the book? I did a girls varsity game a few weeks ago where the players came on the court to start the game. As everyone was getting set to play the home coach looked at his players and then sent a player off the bench to switch with another player. His book keeper told him he had the wrong five starters on the court. We allowed the switch but at halftime concluded that we were not sure how to legally handle it. I can't find anything in the rule book. I can assume that we could assess a team technical, but I don't have a reference for it.

Also, when you check to see if the starters are designated do you remember the numbers? I don't so I would readily admit I would not know if the correct five came on the court. Also, if this is a team T would it be irrelevant once the ball became live to start the game?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

The coach is required to start the players he'she designates prior to the 10 minute mark.

The scorer should check to ensure that the proper players start the game.

If the scorer informs the U or U1 that the proper players are not in the game, then the proper players must enter. If the coach chooses not to put the players in, then a team technical is charged and the starter(s) are changed.

Once the ball is tossed, it's too late to penalize.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef,

No argument here but at our next assoc meeting I want to discuss this so can you tell me how you get to this ruling in accordance with the rule book? Do you have a reference? Thanks.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

The only rule that addresses the requirement that the coach designate his starters is 3-2-1. 10-1-1-,2 adress the penalty. No other rule is necessary. The case play below addresses what happens if it's discovered at the ball is tossed.

3.2.2 SITUATION F:
Team A takes a time-out following about two minutes of play in the first quarter. The scorer signals the referee to the table for a discussion. The scorer indicates that although Team A No. 32 was a designated starter, No. 34 started instead and is still in the game.

RULING: No penalty can be assessed. The infraction had to be discovered and penalized before the ball became live to start the game. Once the ball became live, it was too late to penalize for this specific infraction. (10-1-2a Pen)
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I was hoping someone could help me with. Thanks a lot. No one made a big deal about the coach changing the starters in this game so it did not become a major thing but next time I will know.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

yeah, bballref is right. The coach has to designate the starters, and if he/she sarts someone else, the book has to be changes, and therefor penalty is a technical if discovered at the time of the violation.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

However, If a player is injured or sick he could change his starting lineup with no penalty.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
However, If a player is injured or sick he could change his starting lineup with no penalty.
Yes, but that would involve a situation where he notified the table or referee. We're talking about situations where the wrong players enter the floor.