The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Forfeit Video

Intentional foul, 2 technical fouls, and forfeit.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Where is game management during all this? A coach getting ejected and sticking around like that is bad news and game management or an assistant coach needs to be on top of this quick. I know CHSealge would be all over this stat!

Also, I'm not exactly sure what the 2nd T was for? Camera kind of pans up when the calling official whistles the 2nd T. It just looked weird when it came back and the T was issued while the coach had his back turned and I couldn't hear the coach. First T was definitely earned though.

The only problem I have with this is the pointing and gesturing by the official who issued the 2nd T. I don't mind giving the heave ho after the initial whistle but after I'm done. There's a point where the official is actually walking towards the irate coach and pointing towards the door! If I'm ejecting a coach, I'm getting away from him stat.

On a side note, gotta love our "unbiased" camera people at work haha
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Where is game management during all this? A coach getting ejected and sticking around like that is bad news and game management or an assistant coach needs to be on top of this quick. I know CHSealge would be all over this stat!

Also, I'm not exactly sure what the 2nd T was for? Camera kind of pans up when the calling official whistles the 2nd T. It just looked weird when it came back and the T was issued while the coach had his back turned and I couldn't hear the coach. First T was definitely earned though.

The only problem I have with this is the pointing and gesturing by the official who issued the 2nd T. I don't mind giving the heave ho after the initial whistle but after I'm done. There's a point where the official is actually walking towards the irate coach and pointing towards the door! If I'm ejecting a coach, I'm getting away from him stat.

On a side note, gotta love our "unbiased" camera people at work haha
I heard someone yell that one of the teams had 6 players on the floor, & it sounds as if the coach yelled something he should not have.

Thank the coach for the forfeit as he made a travesty of himself & his team, hopefully that school/school district reprimanded him for his actions.

Concerning game management, I was asking myself the same question.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps the camera angle is poor but I don't see anything resembling an intentional foul in that video...even if it was an end-game situation where the fouling was "deliberate" through overplay. The ball handler got caught in a trap and was slinging the ball around when the defender tried to grab at it and perhaps got some arm....but also had a bunch of ball. He got slung around as the ball handler kept trying to keep the ball away from the defense. A foul, sure....but not intentional as far as I can see.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 03:57am.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Lurking long enough, need help creating post.

I have been lurking around the basketball forum for some time now. Like the fact that, for the most part, everyone here seems to be genuine in wanting to maintain a courteous and professional atmosphere and help officials at all levels continue to improve.

In my 17th season officiating basketball. Done everything from 2nd grade kids up to adult rec. Haven't yet joined my state association, mainly because I used to work swing-shift and/or attended college classes at night.

Just when you think you've seen it all, something new comes your way, gotta love the game. Also believe you learn something new every season no matter how long or what levels you officiate.

***Anyway... I am attempting to post my first question for others to comment and will wait to see if this appears as a comment on someone's already existing post or as my own.

???? Question:

AAAA 8th grade boys. (NFHS Rules with some youth mods.)
Team A inbounding in FC from baseline. Has 3 players stand shoulder-to-shoulder (interlocking arms around waists) about a foot inside 3pt arc. Inbound pass from baseline to player cutting behind this "wall" who then makes 3pt attempt.

Legal?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I heard someone yell that one of the teams had 6 players on the floor, & it sounds as if the coach yelled something he should not have.

Thank the coach for the forfeit as he made a travesty of himself & his team, hopefully that school/school district reprimanded him for his actions.

Concerning game management, I was asking myself the same question.
I don't doubt he said/did something in addition. Just was weird since the camera panned away when we would of seen what got him the 2nd T. Again, I trust the officials judgement on the court. Also I only counted 5 players. If a 6th one came in, he probably was a sub at the table who mistakenly thought we was beckoned in.

This is an easy forfeit as the head coach failed to comply with the technical foul penalty.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perhaps the camera angle is poor but I don't see anything resembling an intentional foul in that video...even if it was an end-game situation where the fouling was "deliberate" through overplay. The ball handler got caught in a trap and was slinging the ball around when the defender tried to grab at it and perhaps got some arm....but also had a bunch of ball. He got slung around as the ball handler kept trying to keep the ball away from the defense. A foul, sure....but not intentional as far as I can see.
The intentional, from what I noticed, was from white 22 bearhugging the ball handler.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
***Anyway... I am attempting to post my first question for others to comment and will wait to see if this appears as a comment on someone's already existing post or as my own.

???? Question:

AAAA 8th grade boys. (NFHS Rules with some youth mods.)
Team A inbounding in FC from baseline. Has 3 players stand shoulder-to-shoulder (interlocking arms around waists) about a foot inside 3pt arc. Inbound pass from baseline to player cutting behind this "wall" who then makes 3pt attempt.

Legal?
It could be a team technical foul if it restricted an opponent's movement.

10-1
A team shall not:

Art. 10... Allow players to lock arms or grasp a teammate(s) in an effort to restrict the movement of an opponent.

Also in the future, if you wish to make a new thread, you can scroll down to the bottom of main basketball forum and click the new thread button. Also welcome to the forums!

Official Forum Member

#20 is fouled. #23 is in the bottom right of the video when the foul occurs.

#20 is set to take the free throws, all other players behind the 3 point line, when the first technical foul is called. #23 then switches places with #20. #23 is in the free throw semicircle after the 2nd technical foul and is still there when the game is forfeited. I wonder if the officials noticed.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was a bit curious too, but I chalk it up to a bad angle though the calling official could of come out stronger with his preliminary signal. There's no way a coach should be confused about what was called on a play like an intentional foul IMO.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 07:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Are You Confusing Your Forums ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Like the fact that everyone here seems to be genuine in wanting to maintain a courteous and professional atmosphere and help officials at all levels continue to improve.
The Official Forum ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

It looks like on the video that they are trying to foul earlier in the play...get the first one so you don't have to have situations like this.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:32am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Intentional foul, 2 technical fouls, and forfeit.

It seems as though the lady in front of the person who shot the video was a little too anxious to get out of there... she gathered her stuff up within two seconds of the official saying the game was over. She was ready to GTFO!

As far as the play goes, I have no problem with an intentional called, but they might have been able to get away with a common foul and moved on. They were obviously trying to foul, and I didn't see anything too over the top for what the fouling team did to warrant the intentional foul. However, if the official saw an intentional foul there, I have no problem with it.

How come the calling official bailed out from staying table-side after calling the intentional foul? It seems to me that this would be a good time for the calling official to go over to the coach and tell him what he saw. Calmly, I think this situation could've been avoided. Was this a college game? That's the only thing that I could think as to why the official went opposite table. I think the coach was wondering why an intentional was called, and no one gave him an ear or explanation....

However, I have no problem with the forfeit. He made a complete a$$ of himself after he was ejected.

Lastly, "He should be calling a tech on that kid... It should be a tech."
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
That's what I was thinking.

And if there is going to be an X on the play, one has to come up with that soon after the whistle. Iow, don't surprise everyone with an X at the table. That's just mho.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:46am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
That's what I was thinking.

And if there is going to be an X on the play, one has to come up with that soon after the whistle. Iow, don't surprise everyone with an X at the table. That's just mho.
The new trail did come up with the X immediately.