The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Forfeit

1st year ref here, and last week I was excited for my biggest game yet. Boys JV. I was planning on staying to watch the varsity game after, which was going to be televised locally. I imagine there were going to be a lot of fans there. As game time came closer and closer, the visiting team never showed up. My partner and I were deciding when to call the game. We figured game time was forfeit time, but we let the AD decide. He was going to give them 30 minutes, but he went to check his messages and found a voice mail from the visiting coach saying that they would not bring a JV team with them. I was very bummed. I took my $60 check and went home, but was wondering about calling a game. You guys ever have a forfeit at that level?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, never had it happen, but at least you got paid. Take the money and use your extra time for for Other Place pizza there in Olathe.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
1st year ref here, and last week I was excited for my biggest game yet. Boys JV. I was planning on staying to watch the varsity game after, which was going to be televised locally. I imagine there were going to be a lot of fans there. As game time came closer and closer, the visiting team never showed up. My partner and I were deciding when to call the game. We figured game time was forfeit time, but we let the AD decide. He was going to give them 30 minutes, but he went to check his messages and found a voice mail from the visiting coach saying that they would not bring a JV team with them. I was very bummed. I took my $60 check and went home, but was wondering about calling a game. You guys ever have a forfeit at that level?
Not exactly the same situation, but I can relate to your feelings. My "first varsity game" was scheduled for a certain day, at a certain place. My husband bought me a new garment bag for a present, I invited half the city, and practically put a neon sign on the roof of my house. I showed up an hour early like a good little ref, and all the doors were locked, no cars in the parking lot, nothing! Well, it was during Christmas break, and I figured people would start showing up pretty soon. I waited, and waited. Finally, I called the assignor. He had to call the AD at home and then call me back. Somehow, assignor had mis-read the school's schedule and that game was being played away (in another city, under a different association), and I didn't have a first varsity game that day after all. Talk about let-down...
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
$60 for a JV game?????

Our fees in St. Louis are:
$40 NonVarsity (2 man)
$66 Varsity (2 man)
$60 Varsity (3 man)
no milage
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
$60 for a JV game?????

$40 NonVarsity (2 man)
$66 Varsity (2 man)
$60 Varsity (3 man)
no milage
Ouch!! Varsity G/B DH in NW IA are $75 to $95.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a bunch of 2 games turned into one for various reasons (including last Saturday), but never an outright forfeit in hoops. Had one years ago in Volleyball. It was a good thing because the home team didn't have the required padding on the poles and stands and we weren't going to play either way.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
MJT,
How much 3 man are you running up there in your regular season? I'm just curious as this is the first year our playoffs are 3. We've been working 3 in central Iowa for quite a while now.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Snowstorm

About twenty-plus years ago I had a early evening, junior varsity game scheduled on a Saturday, at a school about forty-five minutes away from my home. The weather report that day called for a little snow, but around midafternoon it started snowing like crazy. I tried to call the school, and of course, since it was Saturday, I got no answer. I tried to call my commissioner and my partner and couldn't get hold of them. This was way before cell phones were invented. So figuring that the trip in the snow would take me a lot longer than forty-five minutes, I left early, giving myself about seventy-five minutes to make the trip. When I finally got there, just a few minutes before game time, I found the junior varsity cheerleading coach and a police officier assigned to the game in the parking lot. They, like, me, had not been informed that the game had been postponed due to the storm, which the police officier was able to finally determnine after using his radio. When I got home, I finally got hold of my commisioner, who informed me that the athletic director had called him just a few minutes after I had left for home, and or course, my commissioner couldn't get hold of me because I was on the road. The athletic director hadn't called me directly because he left his officials dirtectory in is office at school and he was calling from home on a Saturday. After not getting a check after several weeks, I called my commissioner, who contacted the athletic director, who said that I would not be paid since I had left home too early for the game. I worked for this comissioner for over twenty-years and this was the one and only time that he didn't cover my back. In my opinion, I didn't leave too early, because if there had been a game that night, I would have actually gotten there a little on the late side. I still hold a grudge against this school even though the athletic director and coaches are long gone, and my commisioner has passed away. I still think that I deserved that junior varsity check. That's the only time that I did not get paid for a game in twenty-six years.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
SE Iowa:

$80 VARSITY-JV DH
$70 JV DH
$50 JH DH
$45 JV OR 9TH SINGLE GAME
$30 JH SINGLE GAME
$65 3 MAN CREW
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Just tonight I went to "the country" to work a GJV/GV DH. That's how it is around here when you have to drive so much farther, they will have you double up to make it more worth your while. Plus, you work both games 3 person. After arriving, I was informed that the visitors don't have enough kids to suit up a JV squad so there will only be 1 game tonight. It was fine because they played in the earlier time slot which means we got home earlier but none of us knew and of course they only paid for the 1 game.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
About twenty-plus years ago I had a early evening, junior varsity game scheduled on a Saturday, at a school about forty-five minutes away from my home. The weather report that day called for a little snow, but around midafternoon it started snowing like crazy. I tried to call the school, and of course, since it was Saturday, I got no answer. I tried to call my commissioner and my partner and couldn't get hold of them. This was way before cell phones were invented. So figuring that the trip in the snow would take me a lot longer than forty-five minutes, I left early, giving myself about seventy-five minutes to make the trip. When I finally got there, just a few minutes before game time, I found the junior varsity cheerleading coach and a police officier assigned to the game in the parking lot. They, like, me, had not been informed that the game had been postponed due to the storm, which the police officier was able to finally determnine after using his radio. When I got home, I finally got hold of my commisioner, who informed me that the athletic director had called him just a few minutes after I had left for home, and or course, my commissioner couldn't get hold of me because I was on the road. The athletic director hadn't called me directly because he left his officials dirtectory in is office at school and he was calling from home on a Saturday. After not getting a check after several weeks, I called my commissioner, who contacted the athletic director, who said that I would not be paid since I had left home too early for the game. I worked for this comissioner for over twenty-years and this was the one and only time that he didn't cover my back. In my opinion, I didn't leave too early, because if there had been a game that night, I would have actually gotten there a little on the late side. I still hold a grudge against this school even though the athletic director and coaches are long gone, and my commisioner has passed away. I still think that I deserved that junior varsity check. That's the only time that I did not get paid for a game in twenty-six years.
Three words: Let. It. Go.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Three words: Let. It. Go.
It's only been 26 years, Bob. These things take time to get over.

Just teasin', Billy.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:05am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
$60 for a JV game?????

$40 NonVarsity (2 man)
$66 Varsity (2 man)
$60 Varsity (3 man)
no milage

Are these fees per person or to split amongst the crew?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Are these fees per person or to split amongst the crew?
Those are per person. I cannot answer about the "milage" stuff cuz I don't know what that is.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Those are per person. I cannot answer about the "milage" stuff cuz I don't know what that is.
Chris, Cut me a break. So I misspell. Are you the new 'Mr. Grammar"?