The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Stopped the Game

Had situation on Saturday. About 3 Mins remaining in a CYO game my partner blows the whistle and tells me we have a problem at the other end of the court. The roof started to leak and was dripping water near the lane line by the low block. He wanted to know what we should do. I told him that we would have to stop the game because a kid could get hurt. We informed the coaches that the game had to be stopped. The home coach who was leading 24 to 4 wanted to finish the game. I informed him that he could be liable but that my partner and I would not remain on the court as now that we were aware of a dangerous situation we would not continue the game unless it could be corrected. I am sure he had the kids best interests at heart. (Not!) The parish coordinator finally arrived at the gym, we explained the situation to her and she agreed that the game was over.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfpdi View Post
The home coach who was leading 24 to 4 wanted to finish the game.
If the wet section of the gym was on his frontcourt side, you could have told him you would finish the game on the other (dry) half of the gym only and all points scored by either team would count for the team whose frontcourt you were in.

Or - you could have done what I would have done with that jerk - smacked him upside the head with a frying pan (I carry one in my bag).
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

I had a varsity doubleheader last season postponed due to the host school (not mine) having the same issue!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy ...

Varsity prep school game on Saturday. With thirty seven seconds left in the first half (they play sixteen minute halves) a kid jumps to block a shot, cleaning blocks it, but in doing so dislocates his shoulder. Screaming in pain, he knows what he did, because he had had some problems with the shoulder earlier in the season, and he pops the shoulder back in to place. I immediately sound the whistle, beckon the coach, and tell the other nine players to go to their benches. Coach is both the coach, and the trainer, and is administering to the kid, planning to ice the shoulder, and put the arm in a sling. I suggest to the opposing coach that we end the half and start the second half with 16:37 on the clock. He thinks it's a good idea, so I run it by the coach of the injured player, who agrees. We start the second half ten minutes later with 16:37 on the clock, and the injured kid iced up, and properly slinged, on the bench. (NFHS 2-3)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Varsity prep school game on Saturday. With thirty seven seconds left in the first half (they play sixteen minute halves) a kid jumps to block a shot, cleaning blocks it, but in doing so dislocates his shoulder. Screaming in pain, he knows what he did, because he had had some problems with the shoulder earlier in the season, and he pops the shoulder back in to place. I immediately sound the whistle, beckon the coach, and tell the other nine players to go to their benches. Coach is both the coach, and the trainer, and is administering to the kid, planning to ice the shoulder, and put the arm in a sling. I suggest to the opposing coach that we end the half and start the second half with 16:37 on the clock. He thinks it's a good idea, so I run it by the coach of the injured player, who agrees. We start the second half ten minutes later with 16:37 on the clock, and the injured kid iced up, and properly slinged, on the bench. (NFHS 2-3)
2-3?

2-3 covers issues that aren't covered by rule. This situation is definitely covered by rule. You allow the coach to remove the player, request a sub, the coach sends one in, you play the 37 seconds and you finish the half. THen the coach/trainer can attend to the player if need be.

There is absolutely no rule that allows you to do what you did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Jan 17, 2011 at 10:53pm.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 10:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
We use this tool once a year in football.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
2-3?

2-3 covers issues that aren't covered by rule. This situation is definitely covered by rule. You allow the coach to remove the player, request a sub, the coach sends one in, you play the 37 seconds and you finish the half. THen the coach/trainer can attend to the player if need be.

Maybe so, but I generally like the way it was handled....the rules do allow the periods to be shortened by an agreement between the coaches and the Referee. They just don't permit the extra time to be added to a later period. Technically, the only legal manner to have done something similar would be to declare 1st half over (with all in agreement) and start the 2nd half normally.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfpdi View Post
Had situation on Saturday. About 3 Mins remaining in a CYO game my partner blows the whistle and tells me we have a problem at the other end of the court. The roof started to leak and was dripping water near the lane line by the low block. He wanted to know what we should do. I told him that we would have to stop the game because a kid could get hurt. We informed the coaches that the game had to be stopped. The home coach who was leading 24 to 4 wanted to finish the game. I informed him that he could be liable but that my partner and I would not remain on the court as now that we were aware of a dangerous situation we would not continue the game unless it could be corrected. I am sure he had the kids best interests at heart. (Not!) The parish coordinator finally arrived at the gym, we explained the situation to her and she agreed that the game was over.
What type of chemicals do they use to wax gym floors that make coaches go brain dead in this types of situations?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Maybe so, but I generally like the way it was handled....the rules do allow the periods to be shortened by an agreement between the coaches and the Referee. They just don't permit the extra time to be added to a later period. Technically, the only legal manner to have done something similar would be to declare 1st half over (with all in agreement) and start the 2nd half normally.
One could interpret at-the-time that the shortening of the periods was meant for each quarter to be reduced by the same amount, and therefore use 2-3 to add the 37s to the 2nd half.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
2-3?

I'd do it differently, myself. We'd take the halftime break there, come back and play the remaining :37 on the clock. Then I'd give them a minute and then start the second half.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Better, imo:

Take "half time" now.

Then, play the remaining :37 seconds on the first half (start with POI and use the horn, and the last second shot, etc.). Then "immediately" start the second half with a throw-in to the team having the arrow.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'd do it differently, myself. We'd take the halftime break there, come back and play the remaining :37 on the clock. Then I'd give them a minute and then start the second half.
I just really don't see the point in not finishing out the half. The was a varsity HS game. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go over real well at the state association office.

This time, it was 37 seconds. How much time is allowable the next time it happens? 1 minute? 5 minutes? Makes no sense to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I really don't see the point of doing anything beyond normal in Billy's situation? Did it take an hour to get the kid off the court or something?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I really don't see the point of doing anything beyond normal in Billy's situation? Did it take an hour to get the kid off the court or something?
Not to speak for Billy but I'm sure this is why is chose to do what he did:

Quote:
..Coach is both the coach, and the trainer, and is administering to the kid, planning to ice the shoulder, and put the arm in a sling...
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not to speak for Billy but I'm sure this is why is chose to do what he did:
Didn't catch the nuance there. In that case (assuming the coach needs to leave the court to tend to the player), I'd probably go with Camron's suggestion. End the first half there with approval of both coaches.