The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Girls SP championship game. At the bottom of the fifth, mercy rule comes into effect, visitor losing. Both managers are aware, team that is down wants to continue play. Ump says so long as losing team is willing to continue, ok. Sixth inning starts. In the middle of the visitor's line-up, an ineligible player bats, hits a HR & two runs score. Home team protests player, ump sends one runner back to base, calls batter out. Play continues. Visitors score 6 runs, mercy rule no longer in effect. Home comes up to bat. Has one runner on base & batter in box. Home manager then screams that the game was over on mercy rule and pulls his team off field. Umpire now says official scorekeeper didn't notify him of mercy situation & calls game with home team winner.

Is this a win for home team by mercy rule or a forfeiture by ego win for visitor? (League rules state: Once a game has started, managers cannot intentionally forfeit a game by removing his/her team from the playing field.)
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by digher38
Girls SP championship game. At the bottom of the fifth, mercy rule comes into effect, visitor losing. Both managers are aware, team that is down wants to continue play. Ump says so long as losing team is willing to continue, ok. Sixth inning starts. In the middle of the visitor's line-up, an ineligible player bats, hits a HR & two runs score. Home team protests player, ump sends one runner back to base, calls batter out. Play continues. Visitors score 6 runs, mercy rule no longer in effect. Home comes up to bat. Has one runner on base & batter in box. Home manager then screams that the game was over on mercy rule and pulls his team off field. Umpire now says official scorekeeper didn't notify him of mercy situation & calls game with home team winner.

Is this a win for home team by mercy rule or a forfeiture by ego win for visitor? (League rules state: Once a game has started, managers cannot intentionally forfeit a game by removing his/her team from the playing field.)
First, welcome to the board.

Let me be the first to attack this situation. I'm sure I'll be corrected later.

I do not think I would allow the game to continue in a championship game after mercy rule. There are two reasons off the top of my head. First, IT'S A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Follow the rules. I could see an exhibition game, but not the final. Unless this is a typo, you said that the team that was down wanted to continue. Why would the home team want to continue? Second, there is a liability now put on the umpire if someone gets hurt. You do have a responsibility now.

As for the bonus softball, if the home team is up to bat, they cannot pull their team off the field during their half of the inning unless the umpire calls it due to uncontrollable circumstances like weather or darkness.

This was just a nasty situation that shouldn't have even occured. From what you said, the umpire called the game due to the mercy rule... just an inning later. Home team should've won, just not the way that happened.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The game ended after 4 1/2 innings. Anything after that didn't happen.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by digher38
Girls SP championship game. At the bottom of the fifth, mercy rule comes into effect, visitor losing. Both managers are aware, team that is down wants to continue play. Ump says so long as losing team is willing to continue, ok....
Bummer, sounds like the umpire messed up. If the coach of the winning team did not protest at this point, then it sounds like the coach messed up, too.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Cecil. Officially, the game ended once the run rule conditions were met. Game officially over. Regardless of how many "extra" innings or half innings were played after that, the official score will be score after 4 1/2 innings.

It's the same idea as bottom of the 7th - game over as soon as home team has the lead.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

If you allow play to continue beyond its legal limit ("mercy rule", time limit, regulation game, for example), you are open for litigation if someone gets injured. Even if both teams want to continue. The game is OVER. Sign the book and leave. If they want to continue for any reason, they can do their own umpiring.

Bob
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob & the rest. When you've got a "game ending" condition, the game is over - period. The times I have run into teams wanting to continue, I have reminded them that the game is officially over and their insurance may not be in effect if they continue.

Steve M
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I agree with Bob & the rest. When you've got a "game ending" condition, the game is over - period. The times I have run into teams wanting to continue, I have reminded them that the game is officially over and their insurance may not be in effect if they continue.

Steve M
Story time.

A couple of years ago, I'm BU in a "D" (actually lower) level game. One team is completely dominating the other and is up by 13 in the top of the 5th inning. R1 on 1B, ball hit to the shortstop and F4 turns and walks into RF. F6 just stand there with the ball. Next ball goes to F1 who turns around and throws it to the fence in dead center.

Well, now I've caught on to what they are doing. They figure they are in total control and want another at bat. I stop the game and talk to the manager (who happens to be the pitcher). I tell him I'm on to the shenanigans and the next misplay I judge intentional, I will forfeit the game to their opponent. That's when he fessed up and admitted they just want another at bat.

Much to my pleasure, they couldn't get any runs in the bottom of the 5th. They're opponent put a few more runs on the board in the top of the 6th and the superstars faltered again in the bottom half.

Well, the rain started. No thunder, no lightning, just rain. The weaker team came to within 3 runs and loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the 7th. That is when the superstars started whining about the rain. After the next batter blooped one into short RF, the manager/pitcher turned to me and told me the rain was affecting the game and that I HAD to stop the game.

I told him in a voice loud enough for his entire infield to hear that lightning would have to strike 2B before I stop THIS game. I then reiterated my threat concerning intentional misplays should he decide to attempt to prolong the game long enough to force our hand and stop the game.

They lost the lead, but one the game in the bottom of the 7th because the LF slipped on the wet grass and couldn't make a catch.

I see that guy every now and then. He gives me a dirty look, but I guarantee that he now plays to win as early as possible.

Softball is just like a boxing match. If you don't KO your opponent when you have the opportunity, you don't deserve to win.

Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
If you allow play to continue beyond its legal limit ("mercy rule", time limit, regulation game, for example), you are open for litigation if someone gets injured. Even if both teams want to continue. The game is OVER. Sign the book and leave. If they want to continue for any reason, they can do their own umpiring.

Bob
Bob's got it....

Feel free to continue to play, but I'm leaving and the game is officially over!
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Is "I tell him I'm on to the shenanigans and the next misplay I judge intentional, I will forfeit the game to their opponent" supported in the rules other than travesty and 10-1?
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Is "I tell him I'm on to the shenanigans and the next misplay I judge intentional, I will forfeit the game to their opponent" supported in the rules other than travesty and 10-1?
Yes. The rule is 5-4E.
Quote:
FORFEITED GAMES. A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases: ... If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Thanks, I forgot.
WMB, where's my coffee?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I also agree with Bob. Let them play, but the game is over and I'll watch from the stands. It's sad that in this day our thoughts on what to do during a game must go to what you're liable for (lawsuits, etc.) But I've heard the horror stories. I got into umpiring because the gals can't play without them and I love the game, but I'm not putting myself and my family's future at risk for it.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I assume that "the gals can't play without them " is similar to
"the players need us when the play isn't obvious".
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Sorry about that. I've been around women's (gals) fastpitch softball in one aspect or another for about 15 years, so it's what I'm most comfortable talking about. My wife is the one that stands up for all umpires when others are running umps down she simply states "the gals can't play without them".

I make a lot of mistakes generalizing, so I'm sorry. When I explained to someone about working a tournament with a man, a woman, and myself using "3-man mechanics" I was asked "what did you do to the woman, then?" Color my face red!!!!