The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Shots Fired!! Game Stopped Twice.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15036712/detail.html
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is nothing on this link.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

It worked for me.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is nothing on this link.

Peace
I clicked on it and it came up. Try again and let me know.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Page Not Found

You have requested a page that cannot be found.

Please use the navigation or search box on this page to guide you to your desired content.

This is the message I keep seeing.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Page Not Found

Please use the navigation or search box on this page to guide you to your desired content.

Peace
I PM'd you the link. Try coping and pasting.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Based on only what is said in the article, would any of you have just stopped the game and discussed clearing the gym or suspending it IAW Case Book 2.8.1? Too dangerous? Not enough Law Enforcement available? Anyone ever done it?

Last edited by grunewar; Sun Jan 13, 2008 at 02:43pm.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Based on only what is said in the article, would any of you have just stopped the game and discussed clearing the gym or suspending it IAW Case Book 2.8.1? Too dangerous? Not enough Law Enforcement available? Anyone ever done it?
A couple of officials here in AZ cleared the gym early in the 3rd quarter after they had 3 fights break out and about 20 or so fans ejected.

They finished the game with just the teams, coaches and table.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
A couple of officials here in AZ cleared the gym early in the 3rd quarter after they had 3 fights break out and about 20 or so fans ejected.

They finished the game with just the teams, coaches and table.
I would totally agree with this!!!
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 05:08pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
I've officiated football games at both of these high schools and it can get pretty dicey in the stands which usually spills over to the field or court in this case. Since basketball fans are much closer to the court I would have no problem finishing the game with only the players, coaches, timer, and the book keeper. Much safer that way. Plus, I would wait a considerable amount of time after the game before leaving the school.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

I worked this match up 2 years ago, but @ Arlington. You had to go through metal detectors to get in. The AD said that the police would be there serving warrants since this was the game that the gang members would be @.

He said that it would be likely that fights would break out in the stands and if they did to ignore them if we could. It was unreal how many police officers were @ this game. They were everywhere!

Luckily we didn't have any problems, Arlington won easily! That year Deonta Vaughn was their point guard.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 06:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Page Not Found

Peace

The link worked for me. Evidently it doesn't like fans of "that team of north."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

More questions than answers!

I am appalled at this situation. What host administrator with half a brain would allow the fans to remain in that gym if multiple fights had broken out and how do weapons get into a public school basketball game? If something such as a death or serious injury to one of the spectators had occurred the person or their relatives could sue the school. If I was working this game and one incident had happened I would have asked the senior administrator to have the gym cleared. If my request was not complied with then I would suspend the game.

Here is another situation from San Francisco, CA:
The story is courtesy of kpix-tv (www.cbs5.com/sacred.heart.shooting.2.628790.html)

SF Dad Shot Dead Outside Daughter's Baskeball Game
CBS 5 CrimeWatch
Reporting
Joe Vazquez
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5 /KCBS /AP /BCN) ― A man shot to death outside his daughter's basketball game at Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory High School was identified by police Sunday as a San Francisco anti-violence activist and father of one of the country's leading young players.

Terrell Rogers was shot multiple times while across the street from the school gymnasium during halftime of Saturday night's girls game between top-rated Sacred Heart and visiting Archbishop Mitty High School of San Jose.

The fatal attack happened Saturday around 8:20 p.m. on the north side of Ellis Street between Franklin and Gough, near the Civc Center.

Capt. Al Casciato of the San Francisco Police Department said the victim walked across the street to a parking lot and was then shot several times by two men dressed in dark clothing who had apprached him.

Rogers collapsed and was pronounced dead at the scene; the gunmen fled and no arrests had been made as of Sunday.

Investigators would not discuss motives, but said they do not believe it was a random shooting, and indicated that the 39-year-old father of two from Pacifica was likely the intended target.

Rogers' daughter Tierra Rogers is a heavily recruited junior guard for Sacred Heart, a two-time state champion currently ranked by USA Today as the top high school girls basketball team in the country.

Terrell Rogers escaped the life of gangs and, seven years ago co-founded the local nonprofit group, Peacekeepers, that works to reduce violence in the city's Bayview-Hunters Point district. He still headed the group at the time of his death.

Rogers and the other groupmembers took what was once a housing unit in the Alice Griffith Housing Project in Hunters Point and transformed it into a safe haven for kids.

Neighborhood children said they would often go inside the Peacekeepers office and play video games. Rogers also held barbecues for the kids.

Leonard Howard, who described Rogers as his best friend, said the children looked up to him as a role model.

"Any time they had a goal they looked forward to, he'd look positive for them," said Howard. "If he could make it happen, then he would make it happen."

Meantime, Sacred Heart officials issued a statement Sunday offering condolences to the "grieving" Rogers family.

"Out of respect for the grieving family, members of the SHCP community who have lost a father and husband, and to assist with the investigation of the crime, SHCP's only public comment is that our prayers are with the family of the deceased," the school's statement read.

School officials also thanked fans, students, families and friends who were on campus when the shooting occurred and who "maintained calm while exiting events at their conclusion."

The game ended with a score of 51 to 34, a win for Sacred Heart, which is the oldest Catholic school in San Francisco.

Rick Gordillo, a parent of a freshman at Sacred Heart, said the school community is crushed and is wishing the best for Tierra who has been having a great year with the basketball team.

"I think it's tragic. I attended this school, my wife attended this school, my son, my brother. We have a long history in the family, and for us it's a tragic event," added Capt. Casciato.

The SFPD urged anyone with information about the shooting to contact police Inspectors Antonio Casillas or Robert Lynch at (415) 553-1149 or the anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 02:37am.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Both of these schools are part of IPS (Indanapolis Public Schools)....the school system is not very good but with the help of a new Superintendent, they are making some progress. Within Indy you have IPS and then you have township schools. Both are public but where you live determines where you go to school.

The IPS schools typically bus kids in from lower income areas and the kids come from broken homes/single parent households with absentee fathers and have more problems. This is actually not uncommon for fights to break out at these schools during the day and at athletic events at night.

I went to a township HS that is probably 6 miles from Broad Ripple and we had issues whenever we played them back in the late 80's. I can recall several fights at a Varsity football game and one during a VB hoops game.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Another officer observed two males had taken their coats off like they were going to fight, produced handguns and started shooting at each other," Thompson said.

There were no arrests.
I think this is what concerns me the most!