View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Varsity prep school game on Saturday. With thirty seven seconds left in the first half (they play sixteen minute halves) a kid jumps to block a shot, cleaning blocks it, but in doing so dislocates his shoulder. Screaming in pain, he knows what he did, because he had had some problems with the shoulder earlier in the season, and he pops the shoulder back in to place. I immediately sound the whistle, beckon the coach, and tell the other nine players to go to their benches. Coach is both the coach, and the trainer, and is administering to the kid, planning to ice the shoulder, and put the arm in a sling. I suggest to the opposing coach that we end the half and start the second half with 16:37 on the clock. He thinks it's a good idea, so I run it by the coach of the injured player, who agrees. We start the second half ten minutes later with 16:37 on the clock, and the injured kid iced up, and properly slinged, on the bench. (NFHS 2-3)
2-3?

2-3 covers issues that aren't covered by rule. This situation is definitely covered by rule. You allow the coach to remove the player, request a sub, the coach sends one in, you play the 37 seconds and you finish the half. THen the coach/trainer can attend to the player if need be.

There is absolutely no rule that allows you to do what you did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Jan 17, 2011 at 10:53pm.