The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 01:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
HBO isn't regular cable. I'm not sure what you want from me jrutledge. I was just mentioning a bizare situation. Sounds like no matter what I say during this post your going to have some kind of devils advicate advice. So sorry for whatever has you upset?
I realize that HBO is not regular cable, but you do hear similar language on network TV for example that you might think you would think you only hear on HBO. So I was wondering as well as Rich how do you come to that standard.

And I had moved on when you found something bizarre. And considering it was a Men's league I was a little more trying to figure out what was so bizarre or if there was a larger point. Again, you posted something on a discussion board and usually people ask questions are try to make a larger point which was very hard to figure out. I find many things bizarre and I do not post them here and expect people to not comment on them. If you asked "Does this happen to you...." or "Was my partner's actions bizarre" then you might have got the response you were looking for. I am not even sure what you were expecting anyone to say.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I realize that HBO is not regular cable, but you do hear similar language on network TV for example that you might think you would think you only hear on HBO. So I was wondering as well as Rich how do you come to that standard.

And I had moved on when you found something bizarre. And considering it was a Men's league I was a little more trying to figure out what was so bizarre or if there was a larger point. Again, you posted something on a discussion board and usually people ask questions are try to make a larger point which was very hard to figure out. I find many things bizarre and I do not post them here and expect people to not comment on them. If you asked "Does this happen to you...." or "Was my partner's actions bizarre" then you might have got the response you were looking for. I am not even sure what you were expecting anyone to say.

Peace
I wasn't looking for any responses really. I'll be sure to send a private message to you next time to see if it is exceptable to state.

Sometimes when conversations start they start with a statement not a question. You could have not commented but I see by other posts of yours on other threads that you are one of those guys that can't not comment.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 01:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I wasn't looking for any responses really. I'll be sure to send a private message to you next time to see if it is exceptable to state.
It is obvious you did not expect responses.

Quote:
Sometimes when conversations start they start with a statement not a question. You could have not commented but I see by other posts of yours on other threads that you are one of those guys that can't not comment.
That is interesting, this is probably the only thread I commented on today that was an OP. But then again you started a thread on a public board and then got upset by folks that commented. I was the second person that did not see the point and how long have you been here. Most new people ask a question, try to make a point or see if what they experienced happens to others. If anything was bizarre it was your OP and the way you responded when a couple of people responded. No sweat off my back, you do not see me posting stories and get upset when I get responses. That is usually how a discussion board works.

Now I know you are one of those guys.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 07:33am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Is there a list of words you get?
Obviously, BillyMac hasn't read this thread yet or there would be a picture of George Carlin posted......
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Would any or all of you allow a player to yell sh*t in a high school game? Note "yell" as in everybody in the gym can hear it. I wouldn't. Our association directs our officials to call it and the leagues we serve have told us they don't want it allowed either. The NFHS rulesmakers have also told us to call it in a very specific POE that they issued.

I can see leeway in Mens Wreck, guys, but would you allow the same behavior in one of your high school games?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 08:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yell it so the entire gym heard it = No. I would consider it unsporting.

Whack!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Would any or all of you allow a player to yell sh*t in a high school game? Note "yell" as in everybody in the gym can hear it. I wouldn't. Our association directs our officials to call it and the leagues we serve have told us they don't want it allowed either. The NFHS rulesmakers have also told us to call it in a very specific POE that they issued.

I can see leeway in Mens Wreck, guys, but would you allow the same behavior in one of your high school games?
If a player yelled it out after turning the ball over? Honestly? I'd probably not even notice it.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nope. T'd a player once already this season for exactly that behavior...
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

T in this part of Rome.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 11:23am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Well, to me it's a biological function and not a profanity.
I don't think there's any question that "sh*t" is profanity. Otherwise, we wouldn't put symbols in place of letters.

I also believe in some leeway for adult rec, but if the league says to enforce it, do it. If you're looking for a reason to hold the whistle, case 10.4.1 E says to do just that until after the shot, and even though that case mentions the head coach or bench personnel, I think the same would apply to players, too.

BTW, in my second year, I had a T for that word in the first minute of a seventh-grade boys game. I'm the L, and during a rebound, I clearly hear "SH*T!" I blast my whistle and raise my first, only to realize I don't know which one said it! My partner confirmed the young potty-mouth, and the table exchange went something like this:

Me: "Red, 12, technical foul, profanity."
Coach: "What did he say?"
Me: "Well, I can't repeat it."
Coach (points to 12): "HEY! WHAT'D YOU SAY?!"
12: (unintelligible whining)
Coach: "Aw, sit down! You're killing me."
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You can walk up to the coach and repeat it quietly.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I don't think there's any question that "sh*t" is profanity. Otherwise, we wouldn't put symbols in place of letters.
I do it because there's a filter in place here. No other reason. That doesn't mean that it's globally recognized as a profanity. I can't abbreviate assistant coach as ***. coach here either and that's not a profanity, certainly.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

I also believe in some leeway for adult rec, but if the league says to enforce it, do it. If you're looking for a reason to hold the whistle, case 10.4.1 E says to do just that until after the shot, and even though that case mentions the head coach or bench personnel, I think the same would apply to players, too.

BTW, in my second year, I had a T for that word in the first minute of a seventh-grade boys game. I'm the L, and during a rebound, I clearly hear "SH*T!" I blast my whistle and raise my first, only to realize I don't know which one said it! My partner confirmed the young potty-mouth, and the table exchange went something like this:

Me: "Red, 12, technical foul, profanity."
Coach: "What did he say?"
Me: "Well, I can't repeat it."
Coach (points to 12): "HEY! WHAT'D YOU SAY?!"
12: (unintelligible whining)
Coach: "Aw, sit down! You're killing me."
You can't repeat it quietly to an adult coach? You really think you can't?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the game was being televised on local public access (cable) before 9pm. And that's why he coulnd't repeat it.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't abbreviate assistant coach as ***. coach here either and that's not a profanity, certainly.
Speak for yourself. I consider 'assistant coach' as profanity, abbreviated or not!