The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Coming out of the break between quarters I took a few seconds to ask the coach what he saw on that play and we had a good quick back-and-forth about what we each saw. The next time down the court he told me that he appreciated me asking him, which was nice.
Congrats on your first varsity game and I'm glad this little talk went the way it did. One word of advice...I wouldn't try this one again. If you talk to a coach that's already angry about the call and ask him what he saw, your likely to get an earfull that you've asked for.

Situation: You just called a PC foul on #22 who fouled out. Coach calls time out after his replacement dribbles the ball off his knee. Coming out after the T/O:

You: Coach, what did you see on that play?

Coach: "I saw a referee that sucks", or "I saw someone who cost me the game", or "I saw a 9 - 2 foul count", or "I saw that you don't know what the hell you're doing" etc........

If you're going to ask someone what they saw, ask your partners. Usually, they will tell you what they saw. Asking the coach is just playing with fire IMO. I'm not saying don't talk to coaches, but be very careful when you do. Silence cannot be misquoted.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 10:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Congrats on your first varsity game and I'm glad this little talk went the way it did. One word of advice...I wouldn't try this one again. If you talk to a coach that's already angry about the call and ask him what he saw, your likely to get an earfull that you've asked for.

Situation: You just called a PC foul on #22 who fouled out. Coach calls time out after his replacement dribbles the ball off his knee. Coming out after the T/O:

You: Coach, what did you see on that play?

Coach: "I saw a referee that sucks", or "I saw someone who cost me the game", or "I saw a 9 - 2 foul count", or "I saw that you don't know what the hell you're doing" etc........

If you're going to ask someone what they saw, ask your partners. Usually, they will tell you what they saw. Asking the coach is just playing with fire IMO. I'm not saying don't talk to coaches, but be very careful when you do. Silence cannot be misquoted.
Not saying you can use it every time, but I see nothing wrong with asking that question. And if the coach responds with one of your answers above, it's an easy T. No lost sleep either.