The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 02:37pm
#thereferee99

Anyone catch the HS Boys game on ESPN on 2/13?

The game featured a couple of D1 top 100 guys, and ESPN was pimpin' the college progression hard -- which is why the game was on, I assume.

Did anyone watch? (or work the game?) Fri 2/13 Lincoln vs St. Patricks @ Fordham (NIKE Super Six Tourney).

There were lots of goodies (3 pt goal awarded when kid was CLEARLY over the line, weird inbounding mechanics, blarge snafu, coaching box questions, etc)

Not worth talking about unless seen. Anyone?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TheViper
Awful officiating in this one. 3 or 4 times you had a double whistle with a block and a charge on the same play. This crew had obviously never worked together at all, and just simply didn't get it IMO.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:04pm
#thereferee99

I was noting the one officials' 'Block' mechanic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
Awful officiating in this one. 3 or 4 times you had a double whistle with a block and a charge on the same play. This crew had obviously never worked together at all, and just simply didn't get it IMO.
.. earlier in the game, where he raises both fists in a 'V' shape and then brings them down to the hips. Problem is, when your partner has a charge... kinda hard to 'hold your signal'. LOL

There were certainly some creative inbounding mechanics:
Ball passed into backcourt where offensive team touches near 28' mark near table. BC Violation --> ball taken out of bounds opposite table at the division line!

Then the wacky sequence of fouls and resulting inbound spots: Team A has ball for throw-in in FC, inbounding player standing in front of their bench -- FT line extended. foul on B3 fighting through a screen a couple of feet in front of the thrower, near the sideline. Ball inbounded tableside on the lane line extended!!

While ball at the disposal of the thrower from that spot, another foul on B3, this time on opposite side of the lane. Officials now have a throw in from lane line extended on opposite side (got it right!).

While ball is at throwers disposal from this new spot, we have a double foul on B4 and A4 on the opposite side of the lane -- tableside. The double foul occurs while the ball is at the disposal of the thrower... and they inbound... near the spot of the foul, lane line extended table side!!

At least Team A got to run all of their inbounds plays in that sequence.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
3 or 4 times you had a double whistle with a block and a charge on the same play.
So they worked a game on ESPN and had to go with a double foul 3 or 4 times?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:38pm
#thereferee99

I just remember the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
So they worked a game on ESPN and had to go with a double foul 3 or 4 times?
Trail with his fists in the air, poised to call the block. Lead comes quick with the charge, and trail has to 'retract' his actions.

----

that being said, I pirated a couple of things that one of the guys did. I liked the mechanics of his 5 second count on the endline transitioning into 10-second count. Stolen.

Also, on a block of shot that was held ball -- held ball signal, a quick hands together indicating block, and then held ball signal again. Stolen.

==
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I live in the Chicago area and we have the Comcast game of the week, which is the hit with area officials as you can pick up everyone's boo boos.

Downstate official has wrong kid on the line last week and you can see the discussion as he chases correct player off the line and puts wrong shooter there. He's a good official, but it's all there for replay over and over. Crew as a whole had bad mechanics, switches, blowing partner's lines, etc. Fun to watch the big boys be human. One guy, as C for foul shots, constantly raised arm for chop on the first toss of a two shot foul........?????

That said, I had about 40 seconds of highlights from a boys game I did on the Internet and I certainly impressed no one.

I'm sure the crew had 'tight collars' doing a national game on ESPN.

For me, it's a good learning tool to watch your peers.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Trail with his fists in the air, poised to call the block. Lead comes quick with the charge, and trail has to 'retract' his actions.

----

that being said, I pirated a couple of things that one of the guys did. I liked the mechanics of his 5 second count on the endline transitioning into 10-second count. Stolen.

Also, on a block of shot that was held ball -- held ball signal, a quick hands together indicating block, and then held ball signal again. Stolen.

==
Not following your descriptions, especially second one???
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:30pm
#thereferee99

Held ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Not following your descriptions, especially second one???
Player A1 jumps and attempts to shoot. B1 places hand on ball and A1 is not allowed to release his shot and returns to the floor.

Official raises both hands with thumbs raised indicating a Held Ball. He then brings one open palm down on the other indicating a blocked shot, and then back to the held ball signal.

I would then indicate direction and our throw-in spot, something that this crew seemed to NEVER do!

On the first, after a made basket, new trail brings his hands together at the sternum, and once ball is at the disposal of the player for throw-in begins his 5 second count (away from table) and leaves the other hand at the sternum, then once the team has team control, uses other hand for the 10-second count and brings the off hand to the sternum.

I liked the initiation of the process, and the keeping of the 'off hand' at or near the sternum while the other hand works. I'm tall with long arms, so this approach to 5 second to 10 second mechanic seems 'neater' than I've used. Stolen.

Last edited by referee99; Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 06:32pm.