The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

boys midschool game

I don't have a question or need an answer.

But, I find it interesting that the MSBV coach came to both whistles before the start of the game and said something like" my team hasn't won yet this year. I don't expect they will tonight, but why not just let them play and not call many violations or fouls".

I said thanks coach as I always do,"I just call the game the way I see it for the level of the kid's".

During the game, all the coach did was yell that the other team was fouling his players and where were the calls?? At that level, you can call fouls on every play, anyways.

It is just amazing how many times a coach will say "let m play", but he only means his team.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I had a middle school game on Saturday where the coach (maybe a first time coach) came to my partner and I and basically said "we haven't really scored double digits yet this year. my kids haven't mastered dribbling yet and i was hoping you guys could go easy on the traveling calls and violations."

I'm thinking.... my gosh, its February and your kids still can't friggin' dribble????

I let my veteran partner handle that conversation!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
I my kids haven't mastered dribbling yet and i was hoping you guys could go easy on the traveling calls and violations."
"I'll tell you what, Coach. We'll only call the ones we see. OK?"
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I don't have a question or need an answer.

But, I find it interesting that the MSBV coach came to both whistles before the start of the game and said something like" my team hasn't won yet this year. I don't expect they will tonight, but why not just let them play and not call many violations or fouls".

I said thanks coach as I always do,"I just call the game the way I see it for the level of the kid's".

During the game, all the coach did was yell that the other team was fouling his players and where were the calls?? At that level, you can call fouls on every play, anyways.

It is just amazing how many times a coach will say "let m play", but he only means his team.

beachbum:

Your comment was an excellent response to the coach's plea. And it should be a good guide for officiating sports below the H.S. level.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

White, black, beige, or color similar to jersey, players must wear the same color

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
I'm thinking, my gosh, its February and your kids still can't friggin' dribble????
And they still can't figure out what color headbands, and wristbands, to wear either.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And they still can't figure out what color headbands, and wristbands, to wear either.
Or why they just got a T for stepping out on the floor to b!tch about a no call on a play 40 feet away while trying to see through 8 other players.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Or why they just got a T for stepping out on the floor to b!tch about a no call on a play 40 feet away while trying to see through 8 other players.
Or why a boy who is 6'10 can LEGALLY reach "over the back" of a player who is 5'10" and still not get a foul.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:49am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Or why a boy who is 6'10 can LEGALLY reach "over the back" of a player who is 5'10" and still not get a foul.
Geez...had this in travel team ball a few years ago...6'4" 8th grade girl along with her 6'2" teammate grabbing all the rebounds left and right, and I hear the other coach yelling over the back. During a dead ball, I told him there's no such thing as over the back...his response: they're killing my girls for the rebounds. The two were just standing there and the ball was coming to them on the rebound. I almost wanted to die when he said that. I know the father of the 6'4" girl, who used to play college ball and stands 7'0", and he looked at me and just chuckled and shook his head.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

As a "Yet to be" ref, but former player and coach, I think some of the frustration comes from the no calls on displacement during rebounding.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
As a "Yet to be" ref, but former player and coach, I think some of the frustration comes from the no calls on displacement during rebounding.
I would agree with you if I hadn't seen too many plays where it was a clean reach and the coach was screaming for "over the back," and it happened right in front of him.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:25am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I would agree with you if I hadn't seen too many plays where it was a clean reach and the coach was screaming for "over the back," and it happened right in front of him.
Ditto...my scenario, the coach was right there. He was just frustrated he was being outrebounded (or probably because he wishes he had a girl anywhere near 6'). Found out later (from the 7'0" dad) the rebounds were like 50-10.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

With respects to "over the back". I tell my kids all the time, if you dont put a body on them, you will never get that call. Sometimes the players and coaches think it is a foul because there is contact. I always thought a player had to perform the fundamentals of boxing out before there is a call.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
With respects to "over the back". I tell my kids all the time, if you dont put a body on them, you will never get that call. Sometimes the players and coaches think it is a foul because there is contact. I always thought a player had to perform the fundamentals of boxing out before there is a call.
We're not looking at fundamentals, per se. But you're right, contact can be incidental on this. The offender needs to push or hold or go through the opponent for the contact to be a foul.

I have heard coaches yell at their kids, "if you would have boxed out, you'd have gotten that call."
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

As a side note..Last night, I have two boys go up for a rebound. Official who is trail, Calls a foul on my bigger kid, #55. I mentioned to him that he pushed #4, who is also on our team. He had already reported the foul...but he consulted with the other official, I guess to confirm that my guys were the only guys. And then he said he had an inadvertent whistle, took the foul away and gave us the ball. I considered it a victory for me..but I wasn't sure he could do that. To say the least, the other coach wasn't very happy.

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 12:11pm.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
As a side note..Last night, I have two boys go up for a rebound. Official who is trail, Calls a foul on my bigger kid, #55. I mentioned to him that he pushed #4, who is also on our team. He had already reported the foul...but he consulted with the other official, I guess to confirm that my guys were the only guys. And then he said he had an inadvertent whistle, took the foul away and gave us the foul. I considered it a victory for me..but I wasn't sure he could do that. To say the least, the other coach wasn't very happy.
He absolutely can do that. Good job on his part, and he'll pay more attention next time.