The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

First varsity boys game

I started doing varsity girls last year, and had my first varsity boys game last night. A couple notes:

1. I got a call from my primary assignor asking if I would take this game -- 1 h 40 minutes away! Game fee will cover approximately half of my mileage.

2. I think I did OK. I had two great partners and tried to match their game. I might have missed a minor travel and maybe a couple of other things, but I didn't have a "stinker" -- you know, the call that has everyone in the gym either screaming at you or scratching their heads asking "what the heck was that?" I made one or two calls as L on C's side of the lane, but they were double whistles. Still working on the different PCA's for 3-person.

3. Two smallish teams that play basically the same game. We had about 30 fouls in the first half, including a double T that partner called in the 1Q. It was right after a shooting foul where the shooter ended up on the floor. The fouler kinda stood over him in a threatening way (not quite taunting), and the shooter's teammate got up on the fouler's face. One coach said "isn't that a little quick?" Partner replied: "Should I have waited until they threw a punch?" Didn't have any further trouble that night.

4. Second half went much smoother. Oh yeah: to complete my initiation and to make sure I didn't get home quickly, we went to overtime (sorry Padgett).

I didn't tell my partners that it was my first varsity game until afterwards. Didn't want them to worry about me. It was good.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Partner replied: "Should I have waited until they threw a punch?" Didn't have any further trouble that night.
Beautiful response and quite accurate, too.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:29am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hoorah!

Quote:
I didn't tell my partners that it was my first varsity game until afterwards. Didn't want them to worry about me. It was good.
And even more importantly, they didn't notice! Good job.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I started doing varsity girls last year, and had my first varsity boys game last night.

I got a call from my primary assignor asking if I would take this game -- 1 h 40 minutes away! Game fee will cover approximately half of my mileage.
You were wise to take the game, even if you had to drive through a blizzard to get there. If you hadn't, you might be doing nothing but junior varsity girls next year.

Assignors have a long memory when it comes to the officials that'll go out of their way to help them out when necessary. If they don't, they damnwell should.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Congrats, mbyron! Glad it went well...
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You were wise to take the game, even if you had to drive through a blizzard to get there. If you hadn't, you might be doing nothing but junior varsity girls next year.

Assignors have a long memory when it comes to the officials that'll go out of their way to help them out when necessary. If they don't, they damnwell should.
Exactly my thinking. I have moved up faster than average, and I attribute that partially to trying to help out.

I also attribute it partially to the gang here. You know who you are.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have moved up faster than average, and I attribute that partially to trying to help out.
You know, I've noticed that myself. Every association is full of the guys who always complain about their partners, their assignments, locations, the gym the have to ref in, the coaches they have to ref against, how many games they're not getting, etc etc etc.

I decided last year to make a concerted effort not to be "one of those guys" and be the guy in the association that my assignor thinks of when he thinks "now, I need a guy I know I can rely on who's not going to be a whiner." I don't turn games down, even if it means working with a guy I don't especially like or against a coach I've had problems with or in a gym that's a little further than I want to drive that day.

And, just a few weeks ago, during my evaluation, he said pretty much that (that I was a guy he could always rely on), and my name has come up in discussions of which JV officials to put in the "transition pool" next year.

So, I think it helps a LOT to be "low maintenance" and just be the guy that can be relied on.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
You know, I've noticed that myself. Every association is full of the guys who always complain about their partners, their assignments, locations, the gym the have to ref in, the coaches they have to ref against, how many games they're not getting, etc etc etc.

I decided last year to make a concerted effort not to be "one of those guys" and be the guy in the association that my assignor thinks of when he thinks "now, I need a guy I know I can rely on who's not going to be a whiner." I don't turn games down, even if it means working with a guy I don't especially like or against a coach I've had problems with or in a gym that's a little further than I want to drive that day.

And, just a few weeks ago, during my evaluation, he said pretty much that (that I was a guy he could always rely on), and my name has come up in discussions of which JV officials to put in the "transition pool" next year.

So, I think it helps a LOT to be "low maintenance" and just be the guy that can be relied on.
Not to run this thread off topic, but here is a very good post by BITS about working with assigners Quick Question.....
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to add this to the original post (and I apologize in advance for tooting my own horn).

I think my best call of the night was actually a no-call. One partner (very professional, very solid official) was L and I was C. H1 was driving the lane, went up, and crashed into V1, who was set and vertical. H1 crashed to the floor, missing his shot.

We both held our whistles. Then I look at L and he's making this signal that says "straight up and down!" H1 initiated the contact, but V1 was put at no disadvantage (he was big, and didn't budge).

So we head the other way, and I'm thinking, "good patient whistle, good no-call." It was certainly not a perfect game or even my best, but I nailed that one!
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Congrats on your first boy's varsity game and from the sound of it, a quite successful one at that!

Out of curiosity, how long have you been officiating basketball?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Atta boy!
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Out of curiosity, how long have you been officiating basketball?
I'm curios too. Mbyron's posts have great credibility. Hard to believe it's his first B/V game. Like he's been around forever. Hardly ever disagree with him.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I'm curios too. Mbyron's posts have great credibility. Hard to believe it's his first B/V game. Like he's been around forever. Hardly ever disagree with him.
Just goes to show the power of professional writers...
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 07:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Was Surprised Also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
mbyron's posts have great credibility. Hard to believe it's his first B/V game. Like he's been around forever. Hardly ever disagree with him.
Agree. It almost knocked my socks off. I did a "Danny Thomas Spit-Take" and then double checked the poster's username.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. It almost knocked my socks off. I did a "Danny Thomas Spit-Take" and then double checked the poster's username.
What were we saying about confidence vs. ego?