The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Tax question....

Just double checking (I actually think I asked this last year...if so, my bad)...

Camp fees are "tax-write-off-able", correct?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Just double checking (I actually think I asked this last year...if so, my bad)...

Yes.

Now if we can just determine if massages are.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

With or without the happy ending?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 02:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's To Cut The Cake, Officer ...

Quote:
I'll ask my accountants, Dewey, Cheatem & Howe, on Sunday. It's visiting day at the prison. That reminds me. I need to buy a file, and bake a cake.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Generally yes, but consult your tax professional. I immediately have a handful of qualifications and caveats that come to mind.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
With or without the happy ending?

Without. We all know that we don't officiate because of the tons of fun that we experience from the activity.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

PM me, please!!!

Quote:

PM me your bank account information & pin number. I'll be happy to have my tax man look into it for you. We're having a beer summit on Sunday. We'll raise a glass to you.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Generally yes, but consult your tax professional. I immediately have a handful of qualifications and caveats that come to mind.
Really? To me, camp fees are a no-brainer. The deductions I use are mileage (to games/camps/meetings), association dues, camp/clinic fees, and uniform/equipment purchases. I don't get into any of what I view as "gray area" deductions such as cell phone expenses, home office expenses, food, laundry etc...
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
Really? To me, camp fees are a no-brainer. The deductions I use are mileage (to games/camps/meetings), association dues, camp/clinic fees, and uniform/equipment purchases. I don't get into any of what I view as "gray area" deductions such as cell phone expenses, home office expenses, food, laundry etc...
That's about my strategy too. I will also deduct assignor fees, but not everyone pays those.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 01:24pm
Administrator

Quote:

ILRef80:

Why would you think that meals, laundry, etic, are gray areas. I agree that the home officie expense is an impossible standard to meet but not some of the other areas.

If you and your partner(s) eat together after the game and discuss rules and mechanics that makes the meal deductable. Think about all of the officiating laundry you do over the course of the year, go to a laundrymat and see how much it costs to wash (including soap, bleach, etc.) and dry just one load, and you have a good idea of how much you spend on laundry and then add drycleaning to that cost.

I am a member of NASO, so I also purchase the NASO Game Fee Replacement Insurance, and that is a dollar for dollar deduction.

If you have loan on the car that you use for officiating, the pro-rated amount of interest on the loan is an interesst deduction. The interest deduction is not covered in the mileage deduction.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 01:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seriously ...

Quote:
Laundry
My accountant allows me $5.00 per week for laundering my own uniforms.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 01:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My accountant allows me $5.00 per week for laundering my own uniforms.

Billy:

$5.00 per week. Surely (I am sorry Leslie), he can't be serious. Read my previous post about doing laundry at a laundrymat. You will spend about $5 per load (including soap and bleach), on average. And I am sure you don't wash your dark colored clothing with your light colored clothing. And then there is drycleaning. Permanent press slack are a fallacy. I have always drycleaned my basketball officiating and umpiring slacks.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I also purchase the NASO Game Fee Replacement Insurance, and that is a dollar for dollar deduction.
It is highly doubtful that will ever pay for itself. With a RARE exception, you always spend more on insurance than the benefits you will ever receive. If that were not the case, no company could ever make a profit selling insurance.

Insurance should only be bought when you can't afford to take the loss yourself. For most people, losing a few game fees is not a major loss and certainly not worth the cost of buying the insurance year after year. Instead, just deposit the insurance premium in a savings account. In 2-3 years, you'll have enough to pay for whatever games you're likely to miss over your career.

The same thing applies with any other insurance...only insure what you can't afford to cover...set your deductibles as high as possible, up to what you can cover when the need arises. Don't get them as low as possible so you don't have to spend when something happens, you're just paying it all in advance and paying more. You just don't realize it since it is paid over time.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 01:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is highly doubtful that will ever pay for itself. With a RARE exception, you always spend more on insurance than the benefits you will ever receive. If that were not the case, no company could ever make a profit selling insurance.

Insurance should only be bought when you can't afford to take the loss yourself. For most people, losing a few game fees is not a major loss and certainly not worth the cost of buying the insurance year after year. Instead, just deposit the insurance premium in a savings account. In 2-3 years, you'll have enough to pay for whatever games you're likely to miss over your career.

The same thing applies with any other insurance...only insure what you can't afford to cover...set your deductibles as high as possible, up to what you can cover when the need arises. Don't get them as low as possible so you don't have to spend when something happens, you're just paying it all in advance and paying more. You just don't realize it since it is paid over time.

Camron:

I have collected three times from NASO (one neck injury and three knee injuries, including one surgery).

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 01:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Already Know, I'm A Bad Boy ...

Is one allowed to deduct the cost of a black belt?