The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Technical foul Overtime

What are the NCAA and NFHS rulings?

A1 scores a basket just as time expires to tie the game. The Ball travels through the basket and B1 grabs the ball and SLAMS it to the ground. B1 is assessed a Technical foul. When do you shoot the Free Throws? Are they part of the 4th quarter? Or does OT begin with shooting the Free throws? Is there a jump Ball?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 10:03am
In Memoriam

NFHS...see case book play 5.6COMMENT B.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 10:36am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post

A1 scores a basket just as time expires to tie the game. The Ball travels through the basket and B1 grabs the ball and SLAMS it to the ground. B1 is assessed a Technical foul. When do you shoot the Free Throws? Are they part of the 4th quarter? Or does OT begin with shooting the Free throws? Is there a jump Ball?

Zoochy:

JR referenced NFHS Casebook Play 5.6 Comment B: If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied. If the score is not tied, the free throws are administered unless the outcome of the game will not be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been a part of the fourth quarter. In this case, if any overtime period is necessary, it will start with a jump ball. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over
to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw. (R5-S6-A4)

I have a couple of questions. (1) When B1 slammed the ball to the floor, did the ball go from his hands to the floor and then directly back to his hands or did it go into the stratosphere after making contact with the floor? (2) Was B1's slamming the ball to the floor, one of frustration due to the fact that Team A had sent the game into overtime or because he was upset with the officiating.

I am sure that this is a play where one HTBT, but it sounds like it could have been overlooked.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Zooch, the 4th qtr. ended when the horn sounded. The score is tied, so OT is required.

The T came after the horn, so the OT is started with the FTs and A gets the ball for the throw-in. No jump ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

This play did happen, but not in my game. I am guessing the ball bounced really high. Even I asked the question, could the Technical been overlooked. I did find the NFHS case play. Since the people involved did not believe my ruling, I am using this site as a vehicle for my support.
Also, I am would like to know if NCAA, men or women, have a different ruling?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

this sounds like a bad T. Kid is unhappy that their defense failed, no harm or intent meant.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This play did happen, but not in my game. I am guessing the ball bounced really high. Even I asked the question, could the Technical been overlooked. I did find the NFHS case play. Since the people involved did not believe my ruling, I am using this site as a vehicle for my support.
Also, I am would like to know if NCAA, men or women, have a different ruling?
This site is "more believable" than the case book?

In NCAA, the T is still shot as part of the OT. In NCAAW, we would then go to the POI, which is the jump ball to resume the OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
this sounds like a bad T. Kid is unhappy that their defense failed, no harm or intent meant.
Kid has a right to be unhappy. S/he needs to learn to express it appropriately.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since the people involved did not believe my ruling, I am using this site as a vehicle for my support.
Uh-oh...how did they handle it?

Quote:
It makes no difference plus, we have no idea why the kid's mad. He may be steamed over a call that was made before the tying shot. Kids have to learn to control their emotions. Had he just slammed the ball and caught it, no biggie. But when he slams it and it bounces high into mthe air for everyone to see, WHACK!

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Kid has a right to be unhappy. S/he needs to learn to express it appropriately.
Bob I do agree with you about the right and that they need to express it differently but I do not think that this is a warranted T. However i quick 5 second chat once things calm down a bit will help and teach them more than a T here will.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob I do agree with you about the right and that they need to express it differently but I do not think that this is a warranted T.
Ah! So you were there?

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah! So you were there?
No I wasn't I was going by the OP and 1 assumption based on years of playing, coaching and officiating. Albeit my assumption does have margin for error but how the question was posed and from past experiences I came to my assumption that it was player frustration that they lost their 2 point lead at the buzzer. If its for an unsporting act then I am wrong in my assumption.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob I do agree with you about the right and that they need to express it differently but I do not think that this is a warranted T. However i quick 5 second chat once things calm down a bit will help and teach them more than a T here will.
Coaches teach... officials enforce rules.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah! So you were there?
so maybe he could tell us just how he screwed up the administration.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No I wasn't I was going by the OP and 1 assumption based on years of playing, coaching and officiating. Albeit my assumption does have margin for error but how the question was posed and from past experiences I came to my assumption that it was player frustration that they lost their 2 point lead at the buzzer. If its for an unsporting act then I am wrong in my assumption.
I agree that it's possible that the T wasn't warranted. But, it's at least equally likely that it was.

The questions to ask are those that Mark D. asked in post #3, and until they are answered I would give the benefit of the doubt to the official.

Besides, the question was about "what to do" not "whether to issue the T."
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Oh, I don't know. A T is a pretty teachable moment, too.

I don't know whether I'd have called it or not, but I'm certainly not going to sh1t on an official who decided it was worthy of a T.