The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 09:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And thank God for that. It's bad enough that we occasionally have to hear what players, and coaches, say about our calls. Imagine if we had "hear" what they really thought about each and every call?
World's second oldest official joke....

Can I get a technical foul foul for what I'm thinking?
No.
Good. I think you're an azzhole.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

For those who assert that the ball hitting the backboard is to be considered a try with no judgment involved, consider these questions....

Will you call a shooting foul when A1 is fouled when throwing an overhead alley-oop pass to A5 (exactly like they've already done 10 times that night) but the foul causes the pass to go a little high and hits the far edge of backboard instead of being caught? Two or three shots or the ball OOB?

If A5 catches the ball similar to the previous play when the ball is just off the backboard and is still above and near the rim such that it just might go in, how may of you are going to call goaltending on A5 (the backboard in this question is only relevant given the specific situation we're discussing, not GT in general)? If hitting the backboard makes it a try, this would be GT.

A3, at the FT line, gets fouled when trying to pass the ball to A4 cutting from the corner. Due to the foul, A3's can't release the ball cleanly. The pass is not touched by any B player but hits the corner of the backboard. Is that a try?

The fact that hitting the backboard grants another dribble doesn't remove the need to judge whether it was a try or not. I think we can come up with several examples of the ball making contact with the board that are not a try.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I might be inclined to call it a shot if it's near the end of a quarter or half. But, if A1 randomly throws a long ball from behind the division line with 2:34 to go in the 2nd quarter down by 7, I am not inclined to call it a shot.

JMO
Agreed.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 07:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lucy, You Got Some 'Splainin' To Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The fact that hitting the backboard grants another dribble doesn't remove the need to judge whether it was a try or not. I think we can come up with several examples of the ball making contact with the board that are not a try.
Well thought out post. However, how do you explain the ruling in 9.5 SITUATION A such that this is not an illegal dribble?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 08:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well thought out post. However, how do you explain the ruling in 9.5 SITUATION A such that this is not an illegal dribble?
One of the problems we have is that there is another case book play....4.15.4SitC(c) that uses the specific wording of a player throwing the ball against their own backboard "in an attempt to score(try).". In the RULING, it also says "Once the ball is released on a TRY, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble."

And that's why it can be argued both ways with some legitimacy imo.

My personal take is that I'm too stoopid to read minds. If someone throws it against the backboard, I'm considering it as being a try.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It makes no difference what his intent is. We can't read minds, nor depend on a player telling us what he meant to do.
...that's why we get the big bucks...to make JUDGEMENT calls.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 01:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...that's why we get the big bucks...to make JUDGEMENT calls.
In that case, it should be a violation for the player who tosses off the back board and jumps up to dunk it.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Back, Back, Back, Back, Gone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If someone throws it against the backboard, I'm considering it as being a try.
So you agree with the guys over at over at 60 Seconds On Officiating that "throwing the ball and hitting the backboard of the team in possession is always considered a try for goal".

I originally thought otherwise, but 9.5 SITUATION A now has me agreeing with them. I've already moseyed on over there and apologized. Hopefully they'll put me back on their email list, and stop deleting my comments.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 07:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So you agree with the guys over at over at 60 Seconds On Officiating that "throwing the ball and hitting the backboard of the team in possession is always considered a try for goal".

I originally thought otherwise, but 9.5 SITUATION A now has me agreeing with them. I've already moseyed on over there and apologized. Hopefully they'll put me back on their email list, and stop deleting my comments.
How can you agree with that in light of the language used in casebook play 4.15.4SitC(c) that says it has to be a try? What's the call according to that case play if you judged it as a pass instead of a try?

I love arguing both sides......
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Push, I Want My 10% ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I love arguing both sides.
Can't win. Can't lose.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 08:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Can't win. Can't lose.
Yup.

See post #35.