The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I might be inclined to call it a shot if it's near the end of a quarter or half. But, if A1 randomly throws a long ball from behind the division line with 2:34 to go in the 2nd quarter down by 7, I am not inclined to call it a shot.

JMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If it's a try when A1 throws the ball against the backboard, runs, catches and dunks it, (and it is) then it's a try in this case, too. Always.
I agree with BktBallRef 100%.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Own Backboard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Case book play 9.5(a)?
9.5 SITUATION A: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official
constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it
strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 09, 2011 at 07:38pm.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Case book play 9.5(a)?

Hey JR...just to play Devil's advocate here...

that case play is in regards to the Dribble Rule, which I know you are well aware. So are we using this case play to "sell" or "justify" the call?

Let us pretend that after the call...

... the player, that threw the ball from Backcourt, said to his teammate..."Hey Joe, I was PASSING that ball to you...why didn't you jump up and catch it?" (Team Control?)

...would you think that you missed the call with that statement?

Not being a smart-a$$ here...just discussing things.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is A Great Caseplay ...

Quote:
Case book play 9.5(a)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; and catches the ball. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19
Jurassic Referee has hit upon a great caseplay here. The case play never actually uses the words "shot", or "try", but rather implies that a shot, or a try, had to have taken place because that's only way that A1 can legally catch the ball without it being an illegal dribble:

NFHS 9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 . . . A try for field goal.
ART. 2 . . . A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

There's nothing in the caseplay to indicate that the ball was touched by another player, including an opponent. So the NFHS must have ruled this to be a try, because that's the only option left.

Thus, throwing the ball and hitting the backboard of the team in possession is always considered a try for goal.

I owe the good people over at 60 Seconds On Officiating an apology. They really did locate Jimmy Hoffa's grave.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 09, 2011 at 08:22pm.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official
constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it
strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)
Yet, it doesn't declare it a try....it doesn't even mention a try. The references don't refer to a try either. While it may be "like" a try in some ways, I don't really believe it is necessarily a try.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yet, it doesn't declare it a try....it doesn't even mention a try. The references don't refer to a try either. While it may be "like" a try in some ways, I don't really believe it is necessarily a try.
What other rule basis would there be for the case play, then?
Special exemption?
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Egg, Meet Face ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
... the player, that threw the ball from Backcourt, said to his teammate..."Hey Joe, I was PASSING that ball to you...why didn't you jump up and catch it?"
Here is the similar hypothetical play that I brought to the attention of 60 Seconds On Officiating:

A1, who has ended his dribble, throws an alley oop pass to A2. A2 gets blocked out at the last second and doesn't come anywhere near catching, or even touching, the alley oop pass. The pass from A1 hits the top right corner of A1's backboard and rebounds immediately back to A1, who catches the rebounded ball and dribbles out of the lane.

I've changed my mind. I now think that this is legal. Based on 9.5 SITUATION A, I think that 60 Seconds On Officiating may have been right.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

These Are Trying Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What else could it have been to be ruled a legal play. No other player, including an opponent, touched the ball. That only leaves try.

Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:54pm
We don't rent pigs

But the situation in point is not about the dribble violation. As stated above, the case does not mention a try, in other words does not say, "it's okay because it is considered a try." In the discussion at hand, whether or not it was a try is the key. If not, it is a backcourt violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 07:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But the situation in point is not about the dribble violation. As stated above, the case does not mention a try, in other words does not say, "it's okay because it is considered a try." In the discussion at hand, whether or not it was a try is the key. If not, it is a backcourt violation.
The key is, if it's not a try, the other situations are also violations; including the guy who throws it off the BB before catching it and dunking it.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 08:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The key is, if it's not a try, the other situations are also violations; including the guy who throws it off the BB before catching it and dunking it.
Either that, or this case constitutes a special exception. Where else does the description of a try include the phrase "a team using its equipment"??

It would be much simpler if it simply stated that if any player throws the ball off his own backboard, it shall be considered a try.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the similar hypothetical play that I brought to the attention of 60 Seconds On Officiating:

A1, who has ended his dribble, throws an alley oop pass to A2. A2 gets blocked out at the last second and doesn't come anywhere near catching, or even touching, the alley oop pass. The pass from A1 hits the top right corner of A1's backboard and rebounds immediately back to A1, who catches the rebounded ball and dribbles out of the lane.

I've changed my mind. I now think that this is legal. Based on 9.5 SITUATION A, I think that 60 Seconds On Officiating may have been right.
I think that would be legal also...the player "used his equipment" to get another dribble.

IMO...nothing to do with Team Control.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 08:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I think that would be legal also...the player "used his equipment" to get another dribble.

IMO...nothing to do with Team Control.
The idea being that the player had a legitimate reason for throwing the ball against his own board, as opposed to throwing it against the opponent's board.
Reasonable.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let us pretend that after the call...

... the player, that threw the ball from Backcourt, said to his teammate..."Hey Joe, I was PASSING that ball to you...why didn't you jump up and catch it?" (Team Control?)

...would you think that you missed the call with that statement?
It makes no difference what his intent is. We can't read minds, nor depend on a player telling us what he meant to do.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 09:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Enough Technicals Fouls In The Whole Wide World ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
We can't read minds.
And thank God for that. It's bad enough that we occasionally have to hear what players, and coaches, say about our calls. Imagine if we had "hear" what they really thought about each and every call?