The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Backcourt violation?

Ok, here's a play that someone mentioned to me and I wanted opinions. A1 is holding the ball in his frontcourt near the midcourt line. The referee is standing nearby and is straddling the midcourt line; one foot in the frontcourt, one foot in the backcourt. A1 pivots and steps on the ref's "frontcourt" foot.

Is this a backcourt violation, just as if the official were straddling the OOB line? I think so.

But here's the tricky twist. What if we change it so that it's not the referee straddling the line, but another player instead? Is it still a backcourt violation? Because now, the OOB analogy doesn't work. It's not a violation to touch another player who is OOB while holding the ball. In that case, it's only a violation for the ball to touch the player who is OOB. So is it a backcourt violation to touch a player who is in the backcourt while holding the ball?
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Ok, here's a play that someone mentioned to me and I wanted opinions. A1 is holding the ball in his frontcourt near the midcourt line. The referee is standing nearby and is straddling the midcourt line; one foot in the frontcourt, one foot in the backcourt. A1 pivots and steps on the ref's "frontcourt" foot.

Is this a backcourt violation, just as if the official were straddling the OOB line? I think so.

But here's the tricky twist. What if we change it so that it's not the referee straddling the line, but another player instead? Is it still a backcourt violation? Because now, the OOB analogy doesn't work. It's not a violation to touch another player who is OOB while holding the ball. In that case, it's only a violation for the ball to touch the player who is OOB. So is it a backcourt violation to touch a player who is in the backcourt while holding the ball?
I'm not calling B/C violation on either one.

The second one is easy for the reason you said. It isn't an out-of-bounds on a player for touching an out-of-bounds player so it would seem logical that it would apply to B/C as well.

The second is is tougher, but I don't see where the rulebook says that an official who is straddling the H/C line is in B/C. An official isn't a player so I don't think player location applies.
__________________
"To learn, you have to listen. To improve, you have to try." (Thomas Jefferson)
Z
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:21am
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
The official is part of the court...so if they step on my frontcourt foot, that's part of the frontcourt. No b/c call there...now, depending on how heavy the player is and how good a stomp they get on my little piggies, I might just go ahead and blow the whistle really loud right in their ear just to pay them back, but that would be an inadvertant whistle and they'd get the ball back...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco (Dallas), Texas
Posts: 167
I'm not penalizing a kid because I'm stupid enough to be out of position.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
not to sound like an a$$ but this probably will come off as such. how do you or the people you know come up with these I mean really talk about absurd. Out of curiosity why is said official breathing down the players neck where when he pivots he hits his foot? instead of penalizing any team I think this ref should be hit with a T and flogged by rosie o'donnel
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
not to sound like an a$$
Too late.

Quote:
how do you or the people you know come up with these
This was asked by a student in our New Applicants' Class.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:04pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
The official is part of the court...so if they step on my frontcourt foot, that's part of the frontcourt. No b/c call there.
I'm with Rocky. Sounds logical to me...and it can also be defended(vaguely) by rule, if necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco (Dallas), Texas
Posts: 167
Smile

[QUOTE=rockyroad]The official is part of the court...QUOTE]

Which court is the official part of...if the official landed stadling the line, did he lift his backcourt foot...or maybe his frontcourt foot...or maybe he was dribbling at the time, in which case we should determine whether all three points entered the frontcourt...of course he could have come from OB, which further complicates things...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 412
Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have played in a game, it was decided simply. With 6 seconds left we threw a long pass to do a fast break. THe official steps in the way, gets the ball on him and it goes OOB. Other teams ball, we lose by one.

Officals can surley be out of position
__________________
All posts I do refers to FIBA rules
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:39pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
[QUOTE=Kajun Ref N Texas]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
The official is part of the court...QUOTE]

Which court is the official part of...if the official landed stadling the line, did he lift his backcourt foot...or maybe his frontcourt foot...or maybe he was dribbling at the time, in which case we should determine whether all three points entered the frontcourt...of course he could have come from OB, which further complicates things...
Well, if the official in question is M&M Guy then we would have to make sure that all SIX point were across half-court...his two legs and the 4 legs of the walker he uses!!

Budump-bump ching!!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:48pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
[QUOTE=rockyroad]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas

Well, if the official in question is M&M Guy then we would have to make sure that all SIX point were across half-court...his two legs and the 4 legs of the walker he uses!!
You'd have to use the Seven-Point rule if the official was Ron Jeremy.

Wait a minute.....

The rule only references things that touch the floor. Seven feet in the air doesn't count.

Nevermind.....
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
Officals can surley be out of position
Yes, they can. But don't call me Shirley.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
So the consensus is that both situations are legal? Even tho the person is touching in the backcourt in both cases? If the ref is part of the floor, and is touching the backcourt, doesn't that make him in the backcourt? I just want to have some good rationale before I go back to the class with an answer.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Well, if the official in question is M&M Guy then we would have to make sure that all SIX point were across half-court...his two legs and the 4 legs of the walker he uses!!

Budump-bump ching!!
Hey!

When I finally catch up to you I'm gonna stick one of those walker legs up your...er...hmm...in your case would it be down your...

Oh, never mind.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:06pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
So the consensus is that both situations are legal? Even tho the person is touching in the backcourt in both cases? If the ref is part of the floor, and is touching the backcourt, doesn't that make him in the backcourt? I just want to have some good rationale before I go back to the class with an answer.
Yes. Yes. Yes but only the part of the official that is actually touching the backcourt.

Your rationale is "What Would Woddy Do?"

or.....

The player's foot touched the part of the official located in the front court. Using the exact same logic, if he hadda stepped on the backcourt foot, the player woulda stepped in the backcourt.

Foot touching in the frontcourt = frontcourt; foot touching in the backcourt = backcourt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backcourt violation lukealex Basketball 41 Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:48am
Backcourt violation? Jimgolf Basketball 26 Fri Aug 26, 2005 03:01pm
Backcourt violation? BADAMFS Basketball 2 Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:08am
Backcourt Violation ? tnroundballref Basketball 28 Thu Feb 05, 2004 08:20pm
Backcourt Violation or not KEmerick12 Basketball 6 Tue Feb 29, 2000 06:37pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1