The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
the jury must still be out !

from my previous "free throw" thread a couple of days ago , I thought the concensus from you old timers was ; its not a violation but a "T" .
If preventive officiating didnt catch it before the first of 2 throws , then direct team b to occupy their spots and if they dont ,then a "T" ? Or a "T" for delay of game . Isn't it kind of like having 6 players on the floor for team b during a live ball, do you administer a "T" because you didnt count them before handing the ball to the kid? 10.1.5, c does fit for the sit. before the first throw and it's a warning and then a "T" .
I Know what you said before Welpe (re my "free throw OP ), but to me it's a refusal to abide by the rule more than a delay. Plus i can't envision a coach refusing to put 2 players in the first 2 lane spots after warning him and giving the players time to run over. In my OP the coach already refused by calling his 5 players over for a huddle when the lead was ready to , (and did !) administer the first f t .
Sorry , but I'm not convinced by rule that this is not a violation. 8-1 says either team may be charged with a violation . 9-1 penalties are all violations and not "T"'s , (including lane space requirements from 8-1-4)
And what of the further complications of D.O.G. procedures If it's following a time out or intermission as in 8-2 ? no warning there, or waiting for the coach to comply ! And you guys who don't want to abide with a "normal " 10 count ; what are you going to do here , a smoke break? As always ,I'll go with the concensus but it would be nice if it made sense and was easy for an old man to remember!
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Jury Foreman Is Asked To Read The Verdict ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
The jury must still be out.
It's only a violation after a timeout, or an intermission. It's a technical foul all other times.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
from my previous "free throw" thread a couple of days ago , I thought the concensus from you old timers was ; its not a violation but a "T" .
If preventive officiating didnt catch it before the first of 2 throws , then direct team b to occupy their spots and if they dont ,then a "T" ? Or a "T" for delay of game . Isn't it kind of like having 6 players on the floor for team b during a live ball, do you administer a "T" because you didnt count them before handing the ball to the kid? 10.1.5, c does fit for the sit. before the first throw and it's a warning and then a "T" .
I Know what you said before Welpe (re my "free throw OP ), but to me it's a refusal to abide by the rule more than a delay. Plus i can't envision a coach refusing to put 2 players in the first 2 lane spots after warning him and giving the players time to run over. In my OP the coach already refused by calling his 5 players over for a huddle when the lead was ready to , (and did !) administer the first f t .
Sorry , but I'm not convinced by rule that this is not a violation. 8-1 says either team may be charged with a violation . 9-1 penalties are all violations and not "T"'s , (including lane space requirements from 8-1-4)
And what of the further complications of D.O.G. procedures If it's following a time out or intermission as in 8-2 ? no warning there, or waiting for the coach to comply ! And you guys who don't want to abide with a "normal " 10 count ; what are you going to do here , a smoke break? As always ,I'll go with the concensus but it would be nice if it made sense and was easy for an old man to remember!
I. Not after a TO.
A. Direct B to occupy the spaces; if they refuse, it's a T
B. If officials fail to notice B not in the spaces:
1. If discoverd after the ball is at the disposal, and before the FT ends -- violation (delayed)
2. If discoverd after the FT ends -- too late to penalize

II. After a TO (resumption of play)
A. Violation if B not in spots
1. If FT missed, re-administer
a. If B still not in spots, T
2. If FT made, and another FT is to follow, go back to A.

See 9.1.2A, 9.1.2B, 10.1.5A, 10.1.5C
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 02:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time For Popcorn ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not after a TO. After a TO.
Intermissions?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
As always ,I'll go with the concensus but it would be nice if it made sense and was easy for an old man to remember!
Why not just learn the rules and go by them? They ain't that hard to remember and I'd wager Lark's left one that I'm a heckuva lot older than you are. And whether the rules make sense or not just isn't relevant. They just are.