The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

When you just mess up...

I had a game tonight, and I made a mistake. 51 seconds left to go, Home 65-Visitors 61. At the line, shooting 2 FTs. I blew an IW on second shot (three man, I'm C, one partner is T). I thought shot did not hit rim on FT, T says it did (he says that it grazed the rim on the way down). I, realizing the mistake, signal jump ball for IW with no team control. Home team goes crazy over IW, as they got the rebound (though they also had the arrow). H1 comes down the court, and screams (at no one in particular) "That's f---ing bullsh-t." I blow my whistle, and calmly issue the T. After I do it, H1 then goes "I don't give a f---". Second T, out of here.

1.) I know that as C, I have flight of the ball, but was I correct in calling it even if it was on the other side of the rim from me? Officials manual seems to be a little vague to me about responsibilities of T on FT....should T have been watching flight of ball?

2.) This is a little more philosophical: When you know you made a mistake, how do you handle the people getting upset? Of course I do feel a little bad for making the wrong call, but I don't feel one bit remorseful about the two Ts and subsequent ejection.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:08am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
I had a game tonight, and I made a mistake. 51 seconds left to go, Home 65-Visitors 61. At the line, shooting 2 FTs. I blew an IW on second shot (three man, I'm C, one partner is T). I thought shot did not hit rim on FT, T says it did (he says that it grazed the rim on the way down). I, realizing the mistake, signal jump ball for IW with no team control. Home team goes crazy over IW, as they got the rebound (though they also had the arrow). H1 comes down the court, and screams (at no one in particular) "That's f---ing bullsh-t." I blow my whistle, and calmly issue the T. After I do it, H1 then goes "I don't give a f---". Second T, out of here.

1.) I know that as C, I have flight of the ball, but was I correct in calling it even if it was on the other side of the rim from me? Officials manual seems to be a little vague to me about responsibilities of T on FT....should T have been watching flight of ball?

2.) This is a little more philosophical: When you know you made a mistake, how do you handle the people getting upset? Of course I do feel a little bad for making the wrong call, but I don't feel one bit remorseful about the two Ts and subsequent ejection.
Yes, Trail should assist on free throw violations.

By the time the inadvertent whistle went off, the home team had the ball. Apologize and let home team throw it in.

Good luck.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

If I make a mistake, I will definitely allow the coach to vent more, but they still can cross that line and earn a T. I probably would tell the coach, "I know I messed up, but I cannot do anything about it now." A player will get "a little" more latitude, but not as much as he said. You had no choice but to give the player a T.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

I do believe this is a sign as to where we are going as a society, with respect to foul language.

It's all too common. Personally, I very rarely use profanity, and never infront of women or children, Period.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

If H had the ball, I would've gone to POI. Home ball. As for the T, Whack and Whack were both justified as I am totally intolerant of that kind of language.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 08:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just a thought, but how many would go with a flagrant on the first one?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 08:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Me.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Me.
Me two.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
If H had the ball, I would've gone to POI. Home ball.
It doesn't matter if H had the ball or not. You always go to the POI on an inadvertant whistle. In this case, the POI was the alternating possession arrow.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
It doesn't matter if H had the ball or not. You always go to the POI on an inadvertant whistle. In this case, the POI was the alternating possession arrow.
It depends. Did H have the ball before or as the whistle sounded, or was the ball still loose on the whistle?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Scraper1,
Why go to the arrow when one team is already holding the ball ?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Scraper1,
Why go to the arrow when one team is already holding the ball ?
Scrapper isn't saying that. He's saying that it's a mistake to say "sometime you go to the arrow and sometimes you go to the POI." You always go to the POI and the POI is back to the team in control, or to the arrow if no team is in control, (or to the FT or throw-in if appropriate)
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I think if someone uses the F word an ejection is totally justified. If the coach argues that one, he isn't getting my attention the rest of the evening.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Scrapper isn't saying that. He's saying that it's a mistake to say "sometime you go to the arrow and sometimes you go to the POI." You always go to the POI and the POI is back to the team in control, or to the arrow if no team is in control, (or to the FT or throw-in if appropriate)
Agree with POI, but:
  • Ball glances rim with little deflection and home team grabs the ball.
  • Scrapper1 says the whistle went off before Home team had ball.
  • mick says the whistle went off after the Home team had the ball.
Only original poster knows, I think.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Only original poster knows, I think.
Indeed I do. Sorry the OP was vague on that. The ball hit the backboard, grazed the rim, I blew whistle, then Home gets rebound. It all happened pretty fast, so the rebounding action continued, and then as they returned to the floor, they realized that the play had been blown dead before the rebound.

Also, I considered flagrant, however I had had no issues with foul language prior to this, and he didn't really direct it at me personally, but after reading this, I'll probably consider the flagrant more heavily next time.