The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

get me out of this mess

.2 seconds left (yes less than a second); ball at half court with visitors; tie game; so no way this game is doing anything except go to overtime, right?? these are crappy small school varsity girls who cannot even throw the ball half of the court.

I hand the ball to the girl to bring the ball in. She kind of drops it and then picks it up and looks up to bring the ball in bounds; suddenly, girl gaurding the inbounds decides to strip her; the ball is more than a foot behind the out of bounds line;

I pause for a second as the ball rolls away and then I blow my whistle and just look in shock

you know the rest of the story; they found the only way they could lose that game in regulation; mind boggeling

anyone have a suggestion of how I could have avoided that situation, realistically, I suppose we might as well make the assumption that this will only happen in these types of games, where kids are not very talented and have low basketball i.q.; anything you guys do when bringing ball in that would prevent something that foolish?

on a related note, lately I have been seeing a lot of 50/50 balls coming on throwin, meaning balls that are being deflected almost right out of the hand of the guy throwing the ball in bounds and right on the end of the out of bounds line (such that it would be legal if it is over the line); really close call and too close to call a T; anyone have suggestions how I can prevent those from happening?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

When dealing with a lower level of play, and suspecting some low basketball i.q, as you put it, I will take my hand and show the defender the invisible wall of the sideline by dropping my raised arm between the defender and thrower. If that isn't enough, I'll say, "Keep behind this." No problems. Usually making the wall is enough for them to get the hint.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
When dealing with a lower level of play, and suspecting some low basketball i.q, as you put it, I will take my hand and show the defender the invisible wall of the sideline by dropping my raised arm between the defender and thrower. If that isn't enough, I'll say, "Keep behind this." No problems. Usually making the wall is enough for them to get the hint.
I sometimes do the same thing. Unfortunately, the b-ball IQ being low to start with, many of the players still have no concept of what I'm talking about and I get the deer-in-the-headlights stare from them.

Boiseball, you should rejoice in the fact that a player rescued you from what would have obviously been such a painful overtime...take small victories when and where you can get them
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:11pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Don't put this on a high school kid.

Player IQ is not the question, I think.
Find me a good coach, like Coach P, who officiates, studies the rules and teaches the game to proven winners.
His players know because they are coached to know.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

You might just say, "don't reach through" and hope that 1) they are listening and 2) know what you are talking about. But it isn't your job to educate them. Preventative officiating only requires simple instructions. If it gets to the point of you having to get out a chalk board, it then ceases to be your duty to prevent it (assuming you had a duty all along).
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I make the motion, sometimes even bending at the waist to reach really low, and really high, and say, "Glass wall". If there are the blank stares, I say, "Understand?" I don't see this as instructing, I see it as self-defense.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I make the motion, sometimes even bending at the waist to reach really low, and really high, and say, "Glass wall". If there are the blank stares, I say, "Understand?" I don't see this as instructing, I see it as self-defense.
Consider this preventative officiating, along with making sure the defender gives some space in a small gym and the thrower's back is to the wall or bleachers.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 04:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I can't say I've done this in years. It's a varsity game -- if they don't know not to reach across, I can't help them at this point in their basketball lives.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I can't say I've done this in years. It's a varsity game -- if they don't know not to reach across, I can't help them at this point in their basketball lives.
I don't do it if I think there's any chance they should know better. There are varsity players who probably shouldn't be at that level, but find themselves in over their heads for whatever reason. I don't see any point in sticking it to them for something they've never been told, especially when it's so easy to "preventive officiate".
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't do it if I think there's any chance they should know better. There are varsity players who probably shouldn't be at that level, but find themselves in over their heads for whatever reason. I don't see any point in sticking it to them for something they've never been told, especially when it's so easy to "preventive officiate".
Preventatively officiate?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Preventatively officiate?
Okay, it's official. We've found our new Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy. Congratulations, MP. PS, we'll probably need to know your real name, at least for the purposes of cussing you out when you get too annoying.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, it's official. We've found our new Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy. Congratulations, MP. PS, we'll probably need to know your real name, at least for the purposes of cussing you out when you get too annoying.
Hey, check out my post on the great game winning shot if you think THAT was anal! Oh, and it's Marty. Former teacher. Yes, I did teach English.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, check out my post on the great game winning shot if you think THAT was anal! Oh, and it's Marty. Former teacher. Yes, I did teach English.
Way cool!! An English teacher!! I saw it. And the one in the thread about the Boise-ball partner. But this thread was the final straw. Now that you've been selected, and your scepter is firmly grasped, I'll just suggest that you don't necessarily correct every single error on this board. You'll just wear yourself out. Remember, "Cast not your pearls before .... " Well, remember that one, but I suppose it's probably not smart to say it here, eh? Let's see...

okay how about if I invoke in you Noblesse Oblige? "the moral obligation of those of high birth, powerful social position, etc., to act with honor, kindliness, generosity, etc." I'd put "the benefit of the doubt" into that list.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

OK, if rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength, then what the h-e-double toothpicks is sarcasm?

I'd like to thank the academy, and all the little people I stepped on to get where I am today. . .

Oh, and btw, I figure correcting errors is the best way to get my posting numbers up!
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
I hand the ball to the girl to bring the ball in. She kind of drops it and then picks it up and looks up to bring the ball in bounds; suddenly, girl gaurding the inbounds decides to strip her; the ball is more than a foot behind the out of bounds line;

I pause for a second as the ball rolls away and then I blow my whistle and just look in shock

you know the rest of the story; they found the only way they could lose that game in regulation; mind boggeling
Tell us the rest of the story. What did you call and how did you handle it? Reactions?