The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Foul Off Ball During Shot

From an earlier thread, the respected Daryl H. Long wrote "The tricky part is if the foul occurs before ball is in flight on tap or try....A1 jumps to shoot. B2 fouls A2. Because of continuation rule it does not matter if ball has been relesed or not. A1 is allowed to continue the try and the goal will be counted if successful. Play will then resume with either a throw in by A at spot nearest B2's foul or by free throws (1 and 1 or 2)."

But....I am reading from from NCAA rule Book (old copy 2003) PLAY: A1 is in possesion of ball and in the act of shooting when A2 is fouled by B2. RULING: Assess B1 with the foul committed against A2. A1's try shall count when successful. Administer the bonus free throw or award ball to Team A at designated spot...

Question: If shot is good, does A2 shoot ONE bonus free throw?

Thanks!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer View Post
From an earlier thread, the respected Daryl H. Long wrote "The tricky part is if the foul occurs before ball is in flight on tap or try....A1 jumps to shoot. B2 fouls A2. Because of continuation rule it does not matter if ball has been relesed or not. A1 is allowed to continue the try and the goal will be counted if successful. Play will then resume with either a throw in by A at spot nearest B2's foul or by free throws (1 and 1 or 2)."

But....I am reading from from NCAA rule Book (old copy 2003) PLAY: A1 is in possesion of ball and in the act of shooting when A2 is fouled by B2. RULING: Assess B1 with the foul committed against A2. A1's try shall count when successful. Administer the bonus free throw or award ball to Team A at designated spot...

Thanks!
If the shot is good, then A2 will shoot one-and-one or two shots depending on the bonus situation. If Team B is not in the penalty, Team A will have a throw in out of bounds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If the shot is good, then A2 will shoot one-and-one or two shots depending on the bonus situation. If Team B is not in the penalty, Team A will have a throw in out of bounds.
Thanks for the input, AllPurposeGamer! But did I quote the rule book incorrectly? It says , "Administer the bonus free throw" ...singular....one free throw. What am I missing here?
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input, AllPurposeGamer! But did I quote the rule book incorrectly? It says , "Administer the bonus free throw" ...singular....one free throw. What am I missing here?
You have quoted the case book play correctly. I am not sure why it says that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

This play should have happened in the Notre Dame vs Georgetown tonight. The officials ruled 'no shot'. The player was just starting the 'Act of shooting' when the whistle for the foul sounded. In real time you could not tell if the player had started the shooting motion. But they replayed the foul/shot. When it was in slow motion you could see that he was starting the motion to shoot. The amazing part is that the announcers had the correct interp of the continuation rule.

Last edited by Zoochy; Thu Dec 30, 2010 at 08:43am.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are reading correctly. Few people actually understand the real meaning of this terminology. The 2nd FT is actually the "bonus". It is awarded as a "bonus" for making the first. At 10 fouls, we're actually in the automatic bonus, not double bonus. The rule you cited is talking about bonus free throw situation...one where a player may earn the extra shot.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You are reading correctly. Few people actually understand the real meaning of this terminology. The 2nd FT is actually the "bonus". It is awarded as a "bonus" for making the first. At 10 fouls, we're actually in the automatic bonus, not double bonus. The rule you cited is talking about bonus free throw situation...one where a player may earn the extra shot.
Thank you for that clarification, Mr. Rust, I learned something today. Now, strictly speaking, is the rule book following its own definitions here? Could the wording be improved? Rule book says, "Bonus Free Throws Art. 1. One type of bonus free throw is a second free throw that is awarded for each common foul..... provided that the first free throw for the foul is successful. Art. 2. The other type of bonus free throw occurs starting with the offending team’s 10th team foul in a half..."

So the original interpretation I quoted says to, "Assess B1 with the foul committed against A2. A1's try shall count when successful. Administer the bonus free throw or award ball to Team A at designated spot" ... but and I know this is strictly speaking here... one cannot award a "bonus free throw" because that is defined as the second free throw... as defined above.

Let me ask it this way: If the second free throw is the "bonus"....what the heck is the first one called?
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 07:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Let me ask it this way: If the second free throw is the "bonus"....what the heck is the first one called?
A free throw.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
A free throw.
Right, and Thank You, Sir! So the original interpretation should read "Assess B1 with the foul committed against A2. A1's try shall count when successful. Administer the (bonus) free throw or award ball to Team A at designated spot""
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
So the original interpretation should read "Assess B1 with the foul committed against A2. A1's try shall count when successful. Administer the free throw(s) or award ball to Team A at designated spot""
Fixed it for ya.......

You administer a bonus free throw only if:
1) the first free throw is successful after a team is charged with their seventh, eight and ninth fouls
2) a team has committed 10 fouls
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:38pm
Administrator

Quote:

Thanks!

As soon as I finish this post I am emailing this thread to Daryl. There will be no living with him now. I will I ever be able to conduct one of our legendary 13 hour pre-games (he asks me a question when we leave Toledo, and I finish with my answer about the time we get to Hartford) as we drive from Toledo to Hartford, CT, for a AAU basketball tournament.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're in the bonus, you administer a bonus FT.

If it's 1 & 1, you administer a second bonus FT if the first is successful.

If they're in the double bonus, you administer a second bonus FT wheter the first is successful or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
As soon as I finish this post I am emailing this thread to Daryl. There will be no living with him now. I will I ever be able to conduct one of our legendary 13 hour pre-games (he asks me a question when we leave Toledo, and I finish with my answer about the time we get to Hartford) as we drive from Toledo to Hartford, CT, for a AAU basketball tournament.

MTD, Sr.
That'll be your fault for emailing it to him.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 04:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That'll be your fault for emailing it to him.

Tha's all right, Junior has to officiate with him next Tuesday not me. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio