The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should UConn's Win Streak be counted all-around or just for Women?
Separate record for win streak 10 100.00%
Combined Men's/Women's 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
What is, is. You seem to be under the false impression that there can only be two separate records, one for men and one for women. There is #3 "the most" period. You may not care, but it still belongs, now, to UConn. Yes, there can be 'the most consecutive wins in women's soccer' or 'men's soccer'. But there is also going to be a 'most consecutive wins by a college team.' Whether that is a men's team or a women's team, I have no idea and I'm not interested enough to look it up. But I can tell you who has it for basketball.
Yup, what is, is. And the record for most consecutive wins by a basketball team is currently 436 and counting. The UConn wimmen have got a long way to go to match that. That record is held by the Mount Padgett Middle School Grade 1 Competitive Co-ed team of Portland, Ore...the famed Dexters.

It's true, it's true...and if you don't believe me, look it up.

Apples and oranges......
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 03:38pm
We don't rent pigs

NCAA Division 47B guy breaks weightlifting record for most bench presses in 1 minute, a record which has stood for 50 years.***

***Since he's Division 47B instead of DI, he was allowed to use lighter weights.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 03:39pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yup, what is, is. And the record for most consecutive wins by a basketball team is currently 436 and counting. The UConn wimmen have got a long way to go to match that. That record is held by the Mount Padgett Middle School Grade 1 Competitive Co-ed team of Portland, Ore...the famed Dexters.

It's true, it's true...and if you don't believe me, look it up.

Apples and oranges......
I don't believe you.

But I do believe in apples and oranges.

Merry Dexter

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
***Since he's Division 47B instead of DI, he was allowed to use lighter weights.
How much lighter does a 200 lb. weight weigh in Division 47B?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Seriously, now I will say it. You could just as easily compare this record to the Penn State volleyball streak, or Edwin Moses' hurdle streak. They're different sports. And whether the NCAA recognizes this, I don't know. Do they? Or is this just a reason for ESPN to bump up their ratings, and for women's basketball fans and employees to try to say their sport is on par with the men's game?

Parity does matter. It's why this streak isn't as impressive as Wooden's streak.
Do not misconstrue - I don't believe that what UConn has achieved is even remotely as impressive as what Wooden's team did. That was a phenomenal achievement and one that I probably won't witness in what is left of my lifetime. I never said nor intimated that women's basketball is even remotely on par with men's. However, the fact that I believe that what Wooden's team did is vastly more impressive is also irrelevant. Evidently the NCAA thinks the same as this is a headline from their website:
UConn eclipses UCLA with 89th win
Subheadline: Moore's career-high 41 leads three Huskies in double figures
I do know that if I'm on The Million Dollar Question and they ask me 'what college basketball team has the most consecutive wins', I'm going to say UConn and not the Mt Padgett Dexters.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I do know that if I'm on The Million Dollar Question and they ask me 'what college basketball team has the most consecutive wins', I'm going to say UConn and not the Mt Padgett Dexters.
And you'd go home broke.

The correct answer is the Wayland Baptist University womans team that won 131 consecutive college basketball games between Nov. 7, 1953 and March 20, 1958.

And if you don't believe me, look it up.

And btw, I knew that without having to look it up....because wimmens basketball is my life.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do not misconstrue - I don't believe that what UConn has achieved is even remotely as impressive as what Wooden's team did. That was a phenomenal achievement and one that I probably won't witness in what is left of my lifetime. I never said nor intimated that women's basketball is even remotely on par with men's. However, the fact that I believe that what Wooden's team did is vastly more impressive is also irrelevant. Evidently the NCAA thinks the same as this is a headline from their website:
I read that article on the NCAA web site. It feels to me like they are pushing too hard.

And just to take the discussion further off-track:

Top 10 all-time / all-divisions / all-sports win streaks
Wins Team Division Year(s)
137 Miami (Fla.) men’s tennis I 1957-64
130 BYU-Hawaii women’s tennis II 2002-05
109 Penn State women’s volleyball I 2007-10
92 North Carolina women’s soccer I 1990-94
89 Connecticut women’s basketball I 2008-current
89 Stanford women’s tennis I 2003-07
88 TCNJ women’s lacrosse III 1992-96
88 UCLA men’s basketball I 1971-1974
81 Washington-St. Louis women’s basketball III 1998-01
75 Concordia-St. Paul women’s volleyball II 2008-10

What is BYU-Hawaii? Did they combine teams? Is it a branch campus?

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 04:44pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
While I find it interesting, I don't really care in the end whether the NCAA recognizes a joint record. It's irrelevant to the discussion of whether it should be recognized as such; which is what we're having.

And a headline on the NCAA's splashpage is hardly proof they count it as an official record. It's good publicity, so there's no surprise that a publicity whore like the NCAA would try to take advantage of it that way. And it's just those headlines I find to be ridiculous. UConn did not eclipse UCLA, any more than Geno eclipsed Wooden.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

BYU-Hawaii is an affiliate campus of BYU (or BYU-Provo), there's also BYU-Idaho (used to be Ricks College). Each campus has it's own admissions & administrative departments as well as athletics programs.

There's also BYU-Salt Lake, which is a branch campus of BYU-Provo. There's also BYU-Nauvoo & BYU-Jerusalem (neither has athletics, mainly theological studies) which are travel study programs (1-2 semesters).

BYU-Idaho has only intramural athletics, however when still as Ricks College they had one of the best JC Football programs in the nation, as well as being the largest JC in the US. As Ricks became BYU-Idaho, the athletics program changed to intramural by result of the LDS Church First Presidency in order to not create a conflict with BYU-Provo Athletics with the 2 being 5 hours apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I read that article on the NCAA web site. It feels to me like they are pushing too hard.

And just to take the discussion further off-track:

Top 10 all-time / all-divisions / all-sports win streaks
Wins Team Division Year(s)
137 Miami (Fla.) men’s tennis I 1957-64
130 BYU-Hawaii women’s tennis II 2002-05
109 Penn State women’s volleyball I 2007-10
92 North Carolina women’s soccer I 1990-94
89 Connecticut women’s basketball I 2008-current
89 Stanford women’s tennis I 2003-07
88 TCNJ women’s lacrosse III 1992-96
88 UCLA men’s basketball I 1971-1974
81 Washington-St. Louis women’s basketball III 1998-01
75 Concordia-St. Paul women’s volleyball II 2008-10

What is BYU-Hawaii? Did they combine teams? Is it a branch campus?

Last edited by chseagle; Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 05:26pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And you'd go home broke.

The correct answer is the Wayland Baptist University womans team that won 131 consecutive college basketball games between Nov. 7, 1953 and March 20, 1958.

And if you don't believe me, look it up.

And btw, I knew that without having to look it up....because wimmens basketball is my life.
It wouldn't be the first time. I'm impressed! Off the top of your head with the number and dates even! But, hey, wimmens basketball is your life. I understand.
I should have specified 'NCAA' - my bad. I can appreciate how they got so good. I've been to Plainview, TX, (reminds me of the desert in Iraq), and I went to a Baptist college like theirs where you couldn't drink or smoke, or (for women) cross the campus in a pair of shorts. For women there was nothing left to do but play basketball. At that time they should have still been playing half court.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:14pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
BYU-Hawaii is an affiliate campus of BYU (or BYU-Provo), there's also BYU-Idaho (used to be Ricks College). Each campus has it's own admissions & administrative departments as well as athletics programs.
Almost right. I am a former student at Ricks College and a graduate of BYU (Provo). BYU-I (formerly Ricks College) does not have an athletic department. They quit playing intercollegiate sports 1 year after the name change was made. I used to work in the league they played basketball in and it used to be a great place to ref.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't it UConn who "rigged" the start of the game in cooperation with the other team to let a player score two points to break a scoring record?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Upon further review....

The NCAA did NOT sponsor womans basketball as a sport during the 1950's. Does that mean that any records set by universities playing major college womans university basketball games during that period just didn't happen? At that time, Wayland Baptist University won 131 consecutive womans basketball games at the major college level. That should be the recognized major college womens basketball record for consecutive wins, not the crappy l'il 89 game streak of UConn's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_streak_(sports)

In the immortal words of the late and great philosopher, BillyMac...I'm mad as hell and I'm just not going to take this anymore."

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 05:21pm.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I've got a question. Do they use the same basketball? Or is there a difference?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I added a bit more to my comments as my wife (CHSLadyEagle) was a student there during the transitional period. She filled in some of the blanks I missed.

Several were of discord over the name change to BYU-Idaho, as they were wanting it changed to BYU-Ricks. My wife was one of them protesting the name change.

She'd rather it be called BYU-Ricks or Ricks University with regular athletics participating in either NCAA Div. II or III Athletics. Looking at current enrollment BYU-Idaho could participate in NCAA Div. I-AA Athletics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Almost right. I am a former student at Ricks College and a graduate of BYU (Provo). BYU-I (formerly Ricks College) does not have an athletic department. They quit playing intercollegiate sports 1 year after the name change was made. I used to work in the league they played basketball in and it used to be a great place to ref.