The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Record broken (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60225-ncaa-record-broken.html)

chseagle Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:08pm

NCAA Record broken

UConn Women broke the NCAA Record for consecutive wins in NCAA Basketball with their 89th straight victory.

Welpe Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:22pm

Cue NCAA Men's v. Women's argument in 3...2...1...

BillyMac Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:32pm

Apples And Oranges ...

I don't care what the eighty-nine wins in a row were for. Even if were a game of "Chutes and Ladders", that's a pretty impressive feat. It is what it is.

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:34pm

To me, it's like the streak of national wrestling championships Iowa ran up in the 80s. It's impressive, but it's not that impressive.

Geno is no Coach Wooden.

Wooden's record stands.

BillyMac Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:41pm

One Person's Opinion ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709131)
Geno is no Coach Wooden. Wooden's record stands.

"My grandfather would have been thrilled. He would have been absolutely thrilled to see his streak broken by a women’s basketball team. And he thought, especially in the last 10 years, that the best basketball was played at the collegiate level, and it wasn’t by the men." (Greg Wooden, grandson of former UCLA coach John Wooden)

just another ref Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:43pm

It just total apples and oranges. If there's some guy who wins 90 NCAA games of chess in a row, does he break the record?

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 709132)
"My grandfather would have been thrilled. He would have been absolutely thrilled to see his streak broken by a women’s basketball team. And he thought, especially in the last 10 years, that the best basketball was played at the collegiate level, and it wasn’t by the men." (Greg Wooden, grandson of former UCLA coach John Wooden)

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Would Wooden have been thrilled? Probably. But I do not buy that women are playing the best basketball. Your average NAIA division II school would destroy the UConn women's team.

It's an impressive streak, I'm not saying it isn't. I enjoy watching girls and women play basketball, but whether it's "better" is purely subjective and aesthetic. By any objective standard, it's not true.

As some caller said on the radio, "The women are better at the fundamentals. The fundamentals are boring."

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 709133)
It just total apples and oranges. If there's some guy who wins 90 NCAA games of chess in a row, does he break the record?

+1

By the same token, they need at least 30 more wins to tie the record. Cael Sanderson won 119 wrestling matches in a row.

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709136)
+1

By the same token, they need at least 30 more wins to tie the record. Cael Sanderson won 119 wrestling matches in a row.

Correction, Dan Gable won 181 matches in a row, so sit back folks, it's going to be a while.

chseagle Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22pm

There was some discussion during the broadcast concerning the era differences between the UCLA 88 win streak & UConn Women's current streak.

Now as far as ESPN is concerned, the next big game is gonna be UConn vs. Stanford on the 30th.

Although the score says otherwise, Florida State did do their best to try & stay in the game.

just another ref Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709134)

As some caller said on the radio, "The women are better at the fundamentals. The fundamentals are boring."

I don't even buy that they are better at the fundamentals. It's just that the fundamentals are all they have. Not a lot of 360 degree tomahawk jams in the women's game.

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 709162)
I don't even buy that they are better at the fundamentals. It's just that the fundamentals are all they have. Not a lot of 360 degree tomahawk jams in the women's game.

It probably depends on how you define fundamentals. FT percentages? Shooting percentages? I'm not sure what those comparisons would reveal, but just thinking "out loud."

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:31pm

I remember being glued to the TV as Austin Carr made basket after basket. I might scan a headline or maybe not with the UConn win. Probably not since I know the outcome.

"Doesn't that tofu taste just like meat?"

"No. It doesn't."

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 709167)
I remember being glued to the TV as Austin Carr made basket after basket. I might scan a headline or maybe not with the UConn win. Probably not since I know the outcome.

"Doesn't that tofu taste just like meat?"

"No. It doesn't."

LOL, the true vegetarians I know don't want it to taste like meat.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709170)
LOL, the true vegetarians I know don't want it to taste like meat.

True vegetarians are not a happy lot. As a whole.