The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Broken Net...

Freshman boys, 2nd qtr, team A with the ball, pass ball to post player on baseline about three feet behind block. I am the lead (officiated three years), Post player squares up and shoots (being defended closely) I take the shooter all the way to the floor. After shooter returns to floor I glance over and see A-2 in perfect rebounding position ( I was sure the ball went through, but the net got me because it never moved) A-2 never attempts to rebound and B-1 grabs ball and starts up court. I blow the whistle and kill it right there. As I head out to my partner (first year, second game) I look up and notice the net is broken, I ask my partner if he saw it go through "I wasn't looking" was his reply. I head to the table, of course Coach A is pleading it went in, The AD was there and I asked if he could replace the net. No problem, While the net is being replaced I talked to the Official timer and scorer and asked if they had seen the play and did the ball go through as I thought. They both said "yes". Just about the time that the net if being finished up I tell coach B that his team will get the ball out of bounds on the baseline with an unrestricted throw in. He is upset that I talked to the table to confirm that the ball had indeed gone through, even though Coach B agreed that it was the correct call. I just told him we are moving on coach. Any thoughts?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Perfectly fine to ask the table for help....not sure on replacing the net unless it was severely broken in which case, was it like that before the game started?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

you did what you could and you did it by the book -- the table is part of the crew. It perturbs me when a coach says I agree with what you are doing but....tell him to stick a fork in it and move on. good job
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushmoreRef
....not sure on replacing the net unless it was severely broken in which case, was it like that before the game started?
Not sure as to what difference it makes when the net was broken.....it's broken......if you get a bad net, just stop play when it's convenient and doesn't affect play, and replace it.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I guess what I meant was, did the net break then or was it broke earlier when it could have been replaced without stopping the game....either way, not a problem...agree it should be fixed.