The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

An Experiment

Had a game the other week where I had a 5-second call on an in-bounds play. As I was running by the bench, coach said "Felt like your count was a little fast."

So, that night, I went home and did an experiment to time my count. I used a stopwatch, started it, and without looking at it, did a 10-second count.

Come to find out, if anything, my count is too slow, by about a second and a half.

So, last Saturday, I recorded a few college basketball games and used my stopwatch to time a few officials' counts. Some officials were taking two whole seconds to make one count. Almost everyone's counts were too slow.

I did the same at a few high school games that I observed this week. Same result. Most officials take between 1.25 to 2 seconds to make one count.

Try it. Take a stopwatch, start it, do a 10-second count as you would during the game, and stop the stopwatch. Look at the result. Whatcha got??? When I did it, I got 13 seconds.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 06:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
When I first started I had a senior official tell me that every now and then when there's no pressure in the backcourt to take a peak at the clock as you're counting to get a feel for what the right timing speed should be. I still do it every now and again and it has helped me keep a pretty steady count. Not that it's perfect of course.....
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:12pm
Back from the DL

You might want to consider the source, Fiasco. That coach is unhappy with losing the ball. His desire to be objective does not equate yours.

Case in point from today: My partner hands the ball to a player for a front-court endline throw-in. The coach continues to shout instructions to that player, who is trying to listen to his coach. Meanwhile, the count goes on, and I'm sensing a five-second violation coming. I'm right. The coach, who was so caught up in his instructions and probably didn't pay attention to the count, exclaims, "that was a pretty fast five seconds!"

Sometimes, not everyone is paying attention to the same things we are.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

And if you're going to err, it's best to be on the slow side. It would be pretty embarassing to make a 10 second back court violation call when only 7 or 8 seconds have run off the clock.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Now I know why a 10-sec. BC usually ends up with the 35-sec. shot clock showing 22-24 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Had a game the other week where I had a 5-second call on an in-bounds play. As I was running by the bench, coach said "Felt like your count was a little fast."

So, that night, I went home and did an experiment to time my count. I used a stopwatch, started it, and without looking at it, did a 10-second count.

Come to find out, if anything, my count is too slow, by about a second and a half.

So, last Saturday, I recorded a few college basketball games and used my stopwatch to time a few officials' counts. Some officials were taking two whole seconds to make one count. Almost everyone's counts were too slow.

I did the same at a few high school games that I observed this week. Same result. Most officials take between 1.25 to 2 seconds to make one count.

Try it. Take a stopwatch, start it, do a 10-second count as you would during the game, and stop the stopwatch. Look at the result. Whatcha got??? When I did it, I got 13 seconds.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Now I know why a 10-sec. BC usually ends up with the 35-sec. shot clock showing 22-24 seconds.
Not necessarily. When do you start the shot clock?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

As stated by the shot clock instructions

The ball is legally touched by a player inbounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Not necessarily. When do you start the shot clock?
Anywho, it was meant as a joke hence why the EEK face afterwards.

Last edited by chseagle; Sat Dec 18, 2010 at 11:44pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
As stated by the shot clock instructions

The ball is legally touched by a player inbounds.
His point is that the backcourt count starts at a different time than the shot clock.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
His point is that the backcourt count starts at a different time than the shot clock.
Yep - the 10 second count doesn't start until team control is established.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Snaq, I was seeing the meaning.

Unfortunately how many coaches see it the same way as officials?

Most coaches think 10-secs. off the clock in the BC=Violation.

I seen a couple of situations like that last year where the shot clock went from 35 to 25 & no FC status with the coach requesting a violation be called.

Generally I've noticed there's about 1-2 sec. difference between the clock & the official's count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Last edited by chseagle; Sat Dec 18, 2010 at 11:56pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

I love doing this test when training new officials. Have them all line up, close their eyes, and begin the 10 second count. It is amazing to see the differences...and you are right. The majority take 15-20 seconds.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
It's almost impossible to count too fast without separating your shoulder.

And that's usually what I tell a coach when he says that to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
It would be pretty embarrassing to make a 10 second back court violation call when only 7 or 8 seconds have run off the clock.
About thirty years ago, I did exactly that, yet, I remember it like it was yesterday. Only eight seconds had run off the clock after a made free throw. Coach was so upset that I had to charge him with a technical foul. In discussing it with my partner on the ride home, we figured out that I probably continued a five second throwin count and tacked it onto my ten second count. Apologized to the coach the next time I saw him. This was before we were encouraged to change hands when changing counts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 19, 2010 at 11:56am.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 03:35pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Just had my son test me on a 10 count backcourt count. 10.05 seconds.

Happy times... Now if I could get that spin move in the post called correctly every time...
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
About thirty years ago, I did exactly that, yet, I remember it like it was yesterday. Only eight seconds had run off the clock after a made free throw. Coach was so upset that I had to charge him with a technical foul. In discussing it with my partner on the ride home, we figured out that I probably continued a five second throwin count and tacked it onto my ten second count. Apologized to the coach the next time I saw him. This was before we were encouraged to change hands when changing counts.

And how do you know the clock was started properly?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith