The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Here are some pictures of my Leather Luster experiment. Let me know what you think.

http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/shoes.htm
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Did your Reeboks have gray or white lettering on the sides and white lettering on the tougue?

My new ones did so I had to color that first. Otherwise they are very black and shiny.

I finally got bags for my shoes this year to protect the rest of my equipment from whatever may be on the shoes. Don't need black getting on my knickers.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Are these shoes genuine leather?

I ask because I've had problems getting Leather Luster to properly dry on shoes with synthetic leather.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I should have clarified this on my page; these are the all black Reeboks. I took a sharpie to the white Reebok on the tongue and side first, but this came off when I applied the cleaning solution. The actual LL turned the white a nicer, more uniform shade of black.

After applying the coats, I waited around 6 hours to apply the second coat. When drying, I left outside to bake in the hot Missouri sun. Average temp was like 90 degrees. The wind was still so I didn't have to worry about any dirt/dust blowing on them. If it wasn't as hot out, I think it would've taken a little longer for them to dry. Shoe bags are a must for these I am sure.

These are a synthetic material. I was amazed at how nice they turned out. I haven't ran or anything in them. It will be interesting to see how the LL wears in normal usage.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

advise to users of LL. . .
-make sure you strip off old before each use. if not you will cause your shoes to crack.
-make sure your dry completely. you do not want any moister to get caught inside and ruin the leather (or sythetic)

grantsrc- your shoes are beautiful
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

They look nice, but

Post some pics half-way through the season, after one of those 3" rain games.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Looks pretty nice right now, I personally would not have done the sole of the shoe but it still looks good. I'd be interested in how they stand up after one game. Keep us updated.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

If you have trouble getting the Leather Luster to dry, you can bake your shoes in the oven (200 degrees for 20 minutes, then check--bake longer if needed). I haven't tried this myself, but a fellow official gave me that suggestion.

What is it with officials and their shoes?!? *wink*

Diana

Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deeno27
If you have trouble getting the Leather Luster to dry, you can bake your shoes in the oven (200 degrees for 20 minutes, then check--bake longer if needed). I haven't tried this myself, but a fellow official gave me that suggestion.

Diana
The directions specifically say "Do not bake" on them, now I'm not saying that I disagree with your statement or anything, I'm just saying what the directions say.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by deeno27

Diana
The directions specifically say "Do not bake" on them, now I'm not saying that I disagree with your statement or anything, I'm just saying what the directions say.
I agree, I put mine outside in the sun. That worked well. It helps that we've had a string of 90 degree plus days.