The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

I had this situation (3 Man) last night VB A-32 is fouled by B-5 while setting a screen. B-5 pushes through the screen by A-32. Team A is awarded the ball out of bounds. Team A scores and the timer buzzed horn stating the foul was Team B’s seventh team foul and A-32 should have been awarded a one and one bonus. Team B's coach is upset!! Tried to explain the situation to him. He ends up getting a T for unsporting behavior by dropping the F-bomb.

What happens next?
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the error is still correctable:

A32 shoots 1 & 1 with the lane empty.

Team A shoots 2 FTs for the T and gets the ball at the division line.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I had this situation (3 Man) last night VB A-32 is fouled by B-5 while setting a screen. B-5 pushes through the screen by A-32. Team A is awarded the ball out of bounds. Team A scores and the timer buzzed horn stating the foul was Team B’s seventh team foul and A-32 should have been awarded a one and one bonus. Team B's coach is upset!! Tried to explain the situation to him. He ends up getting a T for unsporting behavior by dropping the F-bomb.

What happens next?
If the ball didn't become live after the team A score, you put A32 on the line for the 1-1 with nobody lined up. Then you have team A shoot the 2 free throws for the technical foul on the team B coach. Team A then gets a throw-in after the technical foul FT's at center opposite the table.

If the ball became live after the team A score but before the timer buzzed, then it would be too late to correct the error of not giving the merited free throws. In that case, team A gets 2 free throws for the technical foul on the team B coach, followed by a throw-in at center opposite the table.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just My Guess ???

I'll give it a shot. Correctable error (assuming the ball didn't become live after the Team A basket) and false double foul situation. Team A basket is still good. A32 gets the one and one opportunity, with nobody rebounding on the lane. Any Team A member(s) get two free throws for the technical foul, again with nobody rebounding on the lane. Team A gets the ball for a throwin at the division line opposite the table as part of the technical foul penalty.

My only question was whether, or not, the technical foul was flagrant, or not, to decide if we're going to sit the coach down, or make him sit out in the cold bus. My guess, if it wasn't flagrant the first time, is that after he sees all that transpires afterward, it will be flagrant a few minutes later.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 12:13pm.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'll give it a shot. Correctable error (assuming the ball didn't become live after the Team A basket) and false double foul situation.
Close. It's a false multiple foul.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What ??? I Don't Get A Cigar ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Thanks. I know that almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but can we make an exception here?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, it is not that either.

One was committed, the clock was started, and then, after time at run off the clock, the other was committed. It is just two separate, independent, unrelated fouls.
"...and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first..."
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Actually, it is not that either.

One was committed, the clock was started, and then, after time at run off the clock, the other was committed. It is just two separate, independent, unrelated fouls.
"...and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first..."
Right. It doesn't really have a label. It's just one foul followed by another.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

As the ball was passing through the net the horn was blown. Play was killed and took the procedures everyone stated.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right. It doesn't really have a label. It's just one foul followed by another.
So it's a false false-multiple foul. LSHISMP