The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60092-what-would-you-do.html)

truerookie Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:55am

What would you do?

I had this situation (3 Man) last night VB A-32 is fouled by B-5 while setting a screen. B-5 pushes through the screen by A-32. Team A is awarded the ball out of bounds. Team A scores and the timer buzzed horn stating the foul was Team B’s seventh team foul and A-32 should have been awarded a one and one bonus. Team B's coach is upset!! Tried to explain the situation to him. He ends up getting a T for unsporting behavior by dropping the F-bomb.

What happens next?

BktBallRef Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:03pm

Assuming the error is still correctable:

A32 shoots 1 & 1 with the lane empty.

Team A shoots 2 FTs for the T and gets the ball at the division line.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 706885)
I had this situation (3 Man) last night VB A-32 is fouled by B-5 while setting a screen. B-5 pushes through the screen by A-32. Team A is awarded the ball out of bounds. Team A scores and the timer buzzed horn stating the foul was Team B’s seventh team foul and A-32 should have been awarded a one and one bonus. Team B's coach is upset!! Tried to explain the situation to him. He ends up getting a T for unsporting behavior by dropping the F-bomb.

What happens next?

If the ball didn't become live after the team A score, you put A32 on the line for the 1-1 with nobody lined up. Then you have team A shoot the 2 free throws for the technical foul on the team B coach. Team A then gets a throw-in after the technical foul FT's at center opposite the table.

If the ball became live after the team A score but before the timer buzzed, then it would be too late to correct the error of not giving the merited free throws. In that case, team A gets 2 free throws for the technical foul on the team B coach, followed by a throw-in at center opposite the table.

BillyMac Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10pm

Just My Guess ???

I'll give it a shot. Correctable error (assuming the ball didn't become live after the Team A basket) and false double foul situation. Team A basket is still good. A32 gets the one and one opportunity, with nobody rebounding on the lane. Any Team A member(s) get two free throws for the technical foul, again with nobody rebounding on the lane. Team A gets the ball for a throwin at the division line opposite the table as part of the technical foul penalty.

My only question was whether, or not, the technical foul was flagrant, or not, to decide if we're going to sit the coach down, or make him sit out in the cold bus. My guess, if it wasn't flagrant the first time, is that after he sees all that transpires afterward, it will be flagrant a few minutes later.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 706895)
I'll give it a shot. Correctable error (assuming the ball didn't become live after the Team A basket) and <font color = red>false double foul situation</font>.

Close. It's a false multiple foul.

BillyMac Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:43pm

What ??? I Don't Get A Cigar ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706905)

Thanks. I know that almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but can we make an exception here?

Camron Rust Sat Dec 11, 2010 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706905)

Actually, it is not that either.

One was committed, the clock was started, and then, after time at run off the clock, the other was committed. It is just two separate, independent, unrelated fouls.
"...and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first..."

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 11, 2010 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 706928)
Actually, it is not that either.

One was committed, the clock was started, and then, after time at run off the clock, the other was committed. It is just two separate, independent, unrelated fouls.
"...and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first..."

Right. It doesn't really have a label. It's just one foul followed by another.

truerookie Sat Dec 11, 2010 04:40pm

As the ball was passing through the net the horn was blown. Play was killed and took the procedures everyone stated.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 11, 2010 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 706933)
Right. It doesn't really have a label. It's just one foul followed by another.

So it's a false false-multiple foul. LSHISMP