The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Is there not someone that does Sub-V timer there that might be able to step up?
Maybe you should make enquiries and call the school to find out. I suggest that because the OP is a basketball referee. He has nothing to do with a schools process for replacing and traiining a score board opertor, nor does he care I would assume. All the referee cares is that someone is there at the table to do the task and that the person does it efficiently and quietly.

I've sat in to run clock in an "emergency" when the regular guy didn't show up. I was given about 30 or 40 seconds of instruction on how to operate the 3-4 buttons and switches, and had no problems at all. It was quite simple and easy. To me, the job of a clock operator is to simply be an observer, an observer who makes correct responses in clock operation, and that's it.

The clock operator in my community is a somewhat odd fellow. He runs clock at the local Jr High, the High School, and down the road at the JC. He's very dedicated to his job and good at it. Though it's not a difficult job to be good at. I suppose we are just fortunate that somebody takes this mundane task so seriously and shows up. He's odd because he carries on a running monologue with his self through out the entire game. He describes the entire game as if he's a commentator, plus he narrates what he's doing with the clock, and then also talks to both scorers. He never shuts up, ever. He does this all in a monotone voice and just loud enough so only the table can hear him. Sounds kinda like this, "ok red ball, two points #12 red, reset the shot clock, foul on red # 11, stop the clock,..." and on and on and on.

Most visiting scorers only last a half, then they go sit in the stands where they can't hear him.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning using a Sub-V Timer in place of the replaced V Timer, they would already have some training/experience, instead of bringing in someone that has not done table.
Doing table isn't difficult. Any smart kid who can pay attention and focus can do the job. Heck, working the snack bar is harder.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Seriously, for the game clock, I can teach any half-way intelligent person that has watched any decent amount of basketball how to run the necessary parts of most clock systems in about 5 minutes.
5 minutes?

True story, no exageration, when I filled in on clock for varsity game after coachng a JV game, the operation was explained to me in about 30 seconds. The last 10 seconds was redundant. If a guy never played before it might bemore difficult. Or if such an operation was inherently difficult for an individual, they may need training.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
5 minutes?

True story, no exageration, when I filled in on clock for varsity game after coachng a JV game, the operation was explained to me in about 30 seconds. The last 10 seconds was redundant. If a guy never played before it might bemore difficult. Or if such an operation was inherently difficult for an individual, they may need training.

OK, I was being generous. Didn't want to dump on him too hard.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any smart kid who can pay attention and focus can do the job.
That's the key. It's difficult for some, especially when just starting out, to pay attention for the 70 minutes or so the game lasts. So, near the end, they start to watch the game and forget to start or stop the clock.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Sigh....

B.I.T.S. - I think you need a bigger clue by four.......
Well I certainly wouldn't argue with you on that...especially since I'm not sure what we're arguing about
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe you should make enquiries and call the school to find out. I suggest that because the OP is a basketball referee. He has nothing to do with a schools process for replacing and traiining a score board opertor, nor does he care I would assume. All the referee cares is that someone is there at the table to do the task and that the person does it efficiently and quietly.

I've sat in to run clock in an "emergency" when the regular guy didn't show up. I was given about 30 or 40 seconds of instruction on how to operate the 3-4 buttons and switches, and had no problems at all. It was quite simple and easy. To me, the job of a clock operator is to simply be an observer, an observer who makes correct responses in clock operation, and that's it.
+1

Quote:
The clock operator in my community is a somewhat odd fellow. He runs clock at the local Jr High, the High School, and down the road at the JC. He's very dedicated to his job and good at it. Though it's not a difficult job to be good at. I suppose we are just fortunate that somebody takes this mundane task so seriously and shows up. He's odd because he carries on a running monologue with his self through out the entire game. He describes the entire game as if he's a commentator, plus he narrates what he's doing with the clock, and then also talks to both scorers. He never shuts up, ever. He does this all in a monotone voice and just loud enough so only the table can hear him. Sounds kinda like this, "ok red ball, two points #12 red, reset the shot clock, foul on red # 11, stop the clock,..." and on and on and on.

Most visiting scorers only last a half, then they go sit in the stands where they can't hear him.
Funny stuff.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That was last week's Word of the Week. Let's move on. Isn't Hanukkah over?
its German, by the way
Old Mon Dec 20, 2010, 07:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Verklempt ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
Its German, by the way
Yiddish: a High German language with an admixture of vocabulary from Hebrew and the Slavic languages, written in Hebrew letters, and spoken mainly by Jews in eastern and central Europe and by Jewish emigrants from these regions and their descendants.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)