Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 03:04am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Hello All,
I appreciate the sentiment and welcoming nature of the members of this board.When I first joined you all made me (even as a scorekeeper) feel incredibly welcome to participate.I came here as a professional development tool to gain a better understanding of the game and feel as if you all have helped me succeed in that regard and have enjoyed the humor from our senior members. Through this board I have gained an entirely new respect for what you all do night in and night out.

Sincerely,
Derryl Trujillo (Official Scorekeeper Woodcrest Christian Varsity Boys/Girls Basketball-Riverside,CA)
Thanks, Derryl, now you've got me all verklempt. I may need an extra dose of meds before I can get to sleep tonight
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As the R, I check the book prior to the game and put a line under the last players name, so that shouldn't be able to happen without being noticeable.

That being said, I've never personally had to go back and check a book. Hmm....
I'm a little hazy on the details because this was a few years ago, but two of the problems were that I was delayed in getting the names into the book for some reason (through no fault of the coach from the visiting school) and didn't have all the names in when the official came to check the book at the 10:00 minute mark.

The other problem was that the visiting team's roster had 18 or 19 players, more names than I had spaces for. I skipped a player's name and number while hurrying to get the names in the book and squeezing some of them into the available spaces. Because of the number of players, even if the official wanted to draw a line under the name of the last player, there wouldn't have been anyplace to put it.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seems It Never Rains In Southern California ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Derryl Trujillo, Menifee, CA, Official Scorekeeper Woodcrest Christian Varsity Boys/Girls Basketball, Riverside, CA
With these credentials, highlighted above, you'll be doing the scorekeeping for NCAA Division I games in a few months. Next time UCLA, or USC, plays on ESPN, we'll be looking for you. Give us a little wave.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

That Is Oh So Last Week ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
You've got me all verklempt.
That was last week's Word of the Week. Let's move on. Isn't Hanukkah over?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 12, 2010 at 12:55pm.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 03:08pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You've seen a T called when the coach has supplied the list, but the scorer has not yet copied it at the 10 minute mark?

Seriously, he's putting us on.
Many years ago at a HS varsity game, we were the visiting team and the home scorer for the varsity game was nowhere to be found as the pre-game clock slowly wound down. The referees told our coach that if our roster was not in the home book by the 10 minute mark, it was going to be T on us.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

If no one was available to be home scorer, why did they not just make the visitor book the official scorer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Many years ago at a HS varsity game, we were the visiting team and the home scorer for the varsity game was nowhere to be found as the pre-game clock slowly wound down. The referees told our coach that if our roster was not in the home book by the 10 minute mark, it was going to be T on us.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
If no one was available to be home scorer, why did they not just make the visitor book the official scorer?
Because the same refs who would hold the coach responsible for that play are the ones who don't know you can appoint the V book as official. The fact is these guys didn't know the rule.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

UPDATE: Mr. Timer has been relieved of his duties, permanently.

I called the assignor on Tuesday and shared the situation with him. I learned that we were the third crew to have problems with this timer this season, which is only in it's 4th week. Since the rules state that the referee must approve the timer, the assignor has contacted the A.D. and told him that no referee from our association will approve this man as the timer. They have 3 weeks before the next home game. He included a copy of the NFHS instructions for timers and scorers so they might begin training a new timer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

The Instructions for & Duties of Scorer/Timer for Basketball Games is very useful as a training tool.

Is there not someone that does Sub-V timer there that might be able to step up?

NFHS Rule 2-4-3 is the rule you're quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
UPDATE: Mr. Timer has been relieved of his duties, permanently.

I called the assignor on Tuesday and shared the situation with him. I learned that we were the third crew to have problems with this timer this season, which is only in it's 4th week. Since the rules state that the referee must approve the timer, the assignor has contacted the A.D. and told him that no referee from our association will approve this man as the timer. They have 3 weeks before the next home game. He included a copy of the NFHS instructions for timers and scorers so they might begin training a new timer.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

I had my first hint of a problem with someone from the table in my game last night. No problems like the OP though. The scorer (Who when we introduced ourselves before the game let us know she was the superintendent and administrator on duty) kept looking away from us when we reported fouls. She would either be looking at someone else at the table or already looking down recording who she though the foul was on when we were reporting. Nothing to have someone replaced over, but rather annoying to say the least. At least the board operator/timer was making eye contact with us every time so he could fill her in if she missed something.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there not someone that does Sub-V timer there that might be able to step up?
Why would I know or even care?

Quote:
NFHS Rule 2-4-3 is the rule you're quoting.
Didn't believe me and had to look it up, eh?

Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I had my first hint of a problem with someone from the table in my game last night. No problems like the OP though. The scorer (Who when we introduced ourselves before the game let us know she was the superintendent and administrator on duty) kept looking away from us when we reported fouls. She would either be looking at someone else at the table or already looking down recording who she though the foul was on when we were reporting. Nothing to have someone replaced over, but rather annoying to say the least. At least the board operator/timer was making eye contact with us every time so he could fill her in if she missed something.
At the very least, you should tell her to not make asumptions regarding the foul and to wait for the signal.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

I believed you on the rule citation, I was just quoting the exact rule number for everyone's reference.

Concerning using a Sub-V Timer in place of the replaced V Timer, they would already have some training/experience, instead of bringing in someone that has not done table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why would I know or even care?

Didn't believe me and had to look it up, eh?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Don't worry Chseagle, some guys on here may say it is the student, but I think many are pretty lousy teachers! Hang in there and keep asking questions. If they don't like it hopefully they can resist the temptation to treat you in a in such a rude way.

I'm sure I'll take some heat for posting this, but I think someone needed to stand up for someone else on here! I know this site has been extremely valuable for me and has taught me a ton, and I'm very thankful for the years and years of experience that these guys have and all that they are willing to pass on. I only wish that some could do it in a more constructive and less degrading manner.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Finally a constructive "non-condescending" answer/

All I have been doing is mentioning my understanding of rules & yet almost everyone that responds is trying to turn my a$$ into the grand canyon with no rhyme/reason except to exert their manhood where it does not belong.

Like stated a million times before (over-exaggerated) I am wanting to learn the proper meanings/reasonings behind the rules, yet majority of the time instead of politely explaining the proper use/meaning of the rule I am being fed to the wolves for just asking for clarifications.

Sorry to say this but almost everyone on here miserably fails as teachers as cannot calmly explain with rational thinking how/why a rule is written compared to how it is understood.

BillyMac, your soapbox (to me) was only about 1-2 feet off the ground.

Here is an idea.

Give up your cushy lil gig as a timer or scorer or whatever the hell it is you do.

Write the exam, go to the floor training sessions and join your local board/association.

Everyone here would be much more receptive to your goofy questions.

Until then, stop the clock when I blow my whistle and start it when I chop time in.