View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
Maybe you should make enquiries and call the school to find out. I suggest that because the OP is a basketball referee. He has nothing to do with a schools process for replacing and traiining a score board opertor, nor does he care I would assume. All the referee cares is that someone is there at the table to do the task and that the person does it efficiently and quietly.

I've sat in to run clock in an "emergency" when the regular guy didn't show up. I was given about 30 or 40 seconds of instruction on how to operate the 3-4 buttons and switches, and had no problems at all. It was quite simple and easy. To me, the job of a clock operator is to simply be an observer, an observer who makes correct responses in clock operation, and that's it.
+1

Quote:
The clock operator in my community is a somewhat odd fellow. He runs clock at the local Jr High, the High School, and down the road at the JC. He's very dedicated to his job and good at it. Though it's not a difficult job to be good at. I suppose we are just fortunate that somebody takes this mundane task so seriously and shows up. He's odd because he carries on a running monologue with his self through out the entire game. He describes the entire game as if he's a commentator, plus he narrates what he's doing with the clock, and then also talks to both scorers. He never shuts up, ever. He does this all in a monotone voice and just loud enough so only the table can hear him. Sounds kinda like this, "ok red ball, two points #12 red, reset the shot clock, foul on red # 11, stop the clock,..." and on and on and on.

Most visiting scorers only last a half, then they go sit in the stands where they can't hear him.
Funny stuff.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith