The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:03pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
...Team A player (guy who got fouled) casually dribbles to basket and takes a layup on the way to the bench for timeout.

R calls technical foul.
Despite the various rulings, citations, etc....in the end, R=OOO
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Would It Be Over ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What did A1 do with the ball after the lay-up? I'm telling A1 to bring me the ball.
And, for sake of argument, if he didn't comply?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
A better solution is to report the timeout & start the clock right away so his coach can chew him out for goofing off instead of coming to the bench.
Can't find it, I am sure we don't start the timeout until ALL players have returned to the bench.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Got It Covered ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Can't find it, I am sure we don't start the timeout until all players have returned to the bench.
IAABO Mechanics Manual: Page 79, I: State and signal to the timer to start the timing device when both teams are near their respective bench areas.

NFHS Manual, Page 38, 2.4.4.B.4: Within the reporting area, give the appropriate timeout signal again for the type of timeout (30 sec or 60 sec), verbally indicate the team color, verbally and visually give the player number or head coach (indicate by forming the shape of a “C” with the hand) making the request, and direct (visually/verbally) the timer to begin the timeout period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Mechanics Manual: Page 79, I: State and signal to the timer to start the timing device when both teams are near their respective bench areas.

NFHS Manual, Page 38, 2.4.4.B.4: Within the reporting area, give the appropriate timeout signal again for the type of timeout (30 sec or 60 sec), verbally indicate the team color, verbally and visually give the player number or head coach (indicate by forming the shape of a “C” with the hand) making the request, and direct (visually/verbally) the timer to begin the timeout period.
And I don't even start this (NFHS) sequence until the teams are at their benches, considering I'm finding the other (non-calling) coach first and informing him/her whether it's a 30-second or 60-second timeout.

There's no way in God's green earth I'm whacking a kid over this. There's no delay -- I don't care where the basketball is until I've finished reporting the timeout and there's no way we're going to be delayed *that* long.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 12:40pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So why not let him shoot around for the next 30 or 60 seconds?
This does not address my question. How does one layup during the dead ball that starts a time-out delay the game? Maybe there is justification for a technical foul in this situation (although I don't think there is); but whatever the justification is, it CAN'T be that he is delaying the game.

And for those who say that the T is for failing to pass the ball immediately to the nearest official, you need to read the whole article. The T is for delaying the game by not passing the ball immediately to the nearest official. He's NOT delaying the game in any way.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

There is no "delay" here. The only applicable rule is the one prohibiting practice during a dead ball. Technically speaking, this player has violated this rule and the penalty would be a technical foul. In practice, this would not be a good call unless it persisted.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's Gonna Show ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The only applicable rule is the one prohibiting practice during a dead ball. Technically speaking, this player has violated this rule and the penalty would be a technical foul.
I think that your missing Jurassic Referee's point. NFHS 2-7-4 (The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules, this includes: prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves) is part of Rule 2, Officials and Their Duties. There are no penalties listed for this rule. Fouls and Penalties are listed under Rule 10 and there is no rule, foul, or penalty for practicing during a dead ball under Rule 10.

I'm sure that Jurassic Referee will be along shortly to post something sarcastic, or, maybe, we'll get the newer, kinder, gentler, sweeter Jurassic Referee.

Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
What is that old saying, "don't do anything to make them remember you?" I think that applies big time here. The best compliment we can recieve as officials is to not be even noticed.
I am certainly not brewing up a pot of T here but I cannot wait for this myth to die a slow, miserable death.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm sure that Jurassic Referee will be along shortly to post something sarcastic, or, maybe, we'll get the newer, kinder, gentler, sweeter Jurassic Referee.
Naw, JR is just waiting for Nevada's response.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I am certainly not brewing up a pot of T here but I cannot wait for this myth to die a slow, miserable death.
Good point. Making the tough call is part of our job, and if you do that you will be noticed.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't relevant to the enforcement of the play in question, but I thought I'd share this story from a game I had last year, to possibly shed some light on this "additional practice."

Boys 8th grade game...
I'm L in transition on a press break. A1 gets the ball and dribbles across half court and inside the 3-pt line to finish breaking the press. HC for A requests time out which my partner grants (I'm guessing the coach wanted the time out as soon as they crossed half court, but there was some delay in that communication).

A1 decides to take the final dribble and shoot, while B4 stands puts his hands up and steps in A1's path to stop him. A1 runs into B4 and is deflected to the side. All of this happened within a second or 2 following the whistle. In other words, I didn't think B4 explicitly sought contact or was acting unsportsmanlike.

A1 looks at me with a face, like I should have called a foul. He says "But he didn't let me get my free shot."

I was kind of surprised by his response, because I was always taught to give the ball to the official... I'm assuming it comes from watching all those NBA games where guys shoot the ball after the whistle every time. Now players are assuming that they get a free shot after every whistle.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 07:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
thanks for catching that, there's a whole lot of real estate between the guy who calls a T here and the guy who cowers so as not to be noticed. Don't be either of those guys.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 08:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What did A1 do with the ball after the lay-up?

Me, I'm telling A1 to bring me the ball. The situation would then be over.
Quote:
And, for sake of argument, if he didn't comply?
Not an option.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Naw, JR is just waiting for Nevada's response.
I'll make some time in the next couple of days to search my old materials and look for the change, but I believe that it used to say "when the ball becomes dead" and now says "when a whistle blows."