The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Double foul, and layup goes in

Girls' JV game, first minute, two opponents already tangled up with each other, I call one of my very rare double fouls, but a good early call to send a message, as I am blowing the whistle and signaling the double foul, making sure to get both players' numbers/colors right, another player continues with an uncontested layup and it goes in. I go tableside to report, tell my partner what we're doing, i.e., double foul followed by point of interruption, he gives the ball to the scored-upon team for a run-the-line inbounds following the made basket. I honestly don't know where the ball was when I made the call because I was looking at my play which was off-ball, my partner told me that he scored the goal because the dribbler was in the habitual motion immediately preceding the release of the ball on a try when my whistle blew, so he scored the goal. I looked at 4-19, 4-36, 4-41-3, 4-41-4 and 6-7. So, my question is, did the ball have to be in the air when the double foul occurred for it to be scored? I think the answer is yes and that my partner was wrong since he awarded the goal during the layup approach before the ball was in flight. Your opinions, interpretations, please.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes the ball would have to be in the air. Continuous motion would not apply on a double foul.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

JRut is on target. Continuous motion applies only when there is a foul by the defense during the period when a player begins his/her habitual throwing (shooting) motion and ends when the ball is in flight.

The "double foul" includes a foul by the offense.....ball is dead immediately UNLESS it is already in flight on a try or tap for goal.