The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Timeout/Layup = technical foul

My partner shared a game-end snafu situation with me last night. His partners at his game all had a different opinion on how best to handle it. Thought I would share...

5 seconds left in game, Team A up by three with the ball, Team B fouls to stop the clock (no bonus). Team B coach calls timeout.

Here's where it gets interesting:

Team A player (guy who got fouled) casually dribbles to basket and takes a layup on the way to the bench for timeout.

R calls technical foul.

Then...Team B makes one of two technical free throws, gets the throw-in at halfcourt , and makes a game winning 3-point shot to win the game.

Team A coach goes ape, throws clipboard, whole 9 yards.

Would you call a technical for the layup?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He's That Guy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
Team A player casually dribbles to basket and takes a layup on the way to the bench for timeout. R calls technical foul. Would you call a technical for the layup?
For your information, I'm not talking about Marlo Thomas' boyfriend, Donald Hollinger.

On a written rules exam, this is correct. Can't practice during dead balls, except pregame, and at halftime.

That being said. I guess that he wants to be "that guy". I never want to "that guy" again. Once was enough (punched ball, not in a crowd).

About thirty years ago we had a college game between two small colleges. Team A wins by one at the buzzer. A1 dunks the ball to celebrate, right in front of the officials. Technical foul for dunking a dead ball. Team B went on to win. All over the news. I don't do college ball, but nevertheless, I never want to be "that guy".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 04, 2010 at 05:39pm.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
What is that old saying, "don't do anything to make them remember you?" I think that applies big time here. The best compliment we can recieve as officials is to not be even noticed.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, I'm not making this call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 01:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
On a written rules exam,this is correct. Can't practice during dead balls, except pregame, and at halftime.
Oh?

Maybe on an IAABO exam.....

Can you find me a rules citation anywhere that states it is a "T" for practicing during a dead ball?

There's no penalty listed 2-7-4. It's a "don't do that". Maybe you're confusing that with dunking a dead ball. That is a "T".
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 03:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Let's say that this player wanted to practice foul shots during the timeout. We're certainly not going to allow that. Nor would I allow a layup either.

I have no problems whatsoever with issuing a technical foul for the layup.

However, for me, the first time is a reminder of the rule.

That's the guy that I'd be.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 04:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Let's say that this player wanted to practice foul shots during the timeout. We're certainly not going to allow that. Nor would I allow a layup either.

That's the guy that I'd be.
You have no rules justification to issue a technical foul. It's that simple.

Doing something like that cannot be explained away if somebody complains either.

Absolutely ridiculous advice.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 05:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You have no rules justification to issue a technical foul. It's that simple.

Doing something like that cannot be explained away if somebody complains either.

Absolutely ridiculous advice.
Again, you did not read what I wrote.

Here it is again:

"However, for me, the first time is a reminder of the rule."

A reminder is a warning. That means that my call is no direct call to a Technical foul. For you to read into what I said that I would issue a T without a warning is inappropriate. Please don't put words into my mouth.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dunkin' Donuts ...

Quote:
Can you find me a rules citation anywhere that states it is a "T" for practicing during a dead ball?
Your right. It doesn't state it directly. I was confusing a dunk with practicing. How foolish of me.

NFHS 2-7-4: The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes: Prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves.

NFHS 10-3-3: A player shall not: Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent
injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

This may be a stretch:

NFHS 10-3-5: A player shall not: Delay the game by acts such as:
Failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer
official when a whistle blows.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 06:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

You have no problems issuing a technical foul for the lay-up? That is what you wrote, Juggler, and that is what I commented on.

I don't know how you think I'm mis-reading that sentence. I sureasheck have problems issuing a technical foul for the lay-up. That's because there isn't any rule I can hang my whistle on to do so.

Please tell me how I'm mis-reading a statement like that?

Or are you really agreeing that a "T" can't be immediately called without a warning being issued first? It's gotta be one or the other. If so, we then do agree and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Your turn.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 06:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This may be a stretch:

NFHS 10-3-5: A player shall not: Delay the game by acts such as:
Failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer
official when a whistle blows.
And it's a stretch because imo if the rulesmakers wanted to to identify this as a specific delay of game problem, they would have done so by either including it as one of the DOG warnings or adressed it directly as they did on a play like a defender touching the ball OOB on a throw-in while the thrower is holding it.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 06:32pm

Quote:
You have no problems issuing a technical foul for the lay-up? That is what you wrote, Juggler, and that is what I commented on.

I don't know how you think I'm mis-reading that sentence. I sureasheck have problems issuing a technical foul for the lay-up. That's because there isn't any rule I can hang my whistle on to do so.

Please tell me how I'm mis-reading a statement like that?

Or are you really agreeing that a "T" can't be immediately called without a warning being issued first? It's gotta be one or the other. If so, we then do agree and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Your turn.
Go ahead and comment on everything I said, including my ruling.

Then get back to me.

Lah me.
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 07:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

A reminder of which rule in particular????

And the implication in your statement is that if they do it again, you will issue a T.

So which rule are you going to remind them of after the first lay-up?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 08:32pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
And it's a stretch because imo if the rulesmakers wanted to to identify this as a specific delay of game problem, they would have done so by either including it as one of the DOG warnings or adressed it directly as they did on a play like a defender touching the ball OOB on a throw-in while the thrower is holding it.
More to the point, however. . . How is this "practice" lay-up delaying the game?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 08:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
More to the point, however. . . How is this "practice" lay-up delaying the game?
If the player travels the length of the court, by-passing one or more officials along the way, and shoots a layup before heading to his bench, it could easily be considered delaying the game.

Had a partner call a T last year when, following the granting of a timeout, A1 (standing near that partner) launched a twenty foot shot then ended up heading to the bleachers. Partner gave him two chances to retrieve the ball and he refused.