The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Back Court Question

A1 has ball in front court near division line, B1 hits ball away from A1, it hits A1 Leg, goes into backcourt, hits the official in the backcourt, then returns to frontcourt (bounces in frontcourt) where A1 retrieves the ball. Is this a backcourt violation?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
A1 has ball in front court near division line, B1 hits ball away from A1, it hits A1 Leg, goes into backcourt, hits the official in the backcourt, then returns to frontcourt (bounces in frontcourt) where A1 retrieves the ball. Is this a backcourt violation?
When A1 recovers the ball, what is its status?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

See rule 4-4
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I know that when the ball hits an official it is the same as hitting the floor, My confusion with this play is that the ball went to the backcourt and then bounced back to front court does it regain frontcourt status , by rule it seems to, but it to me seems like it still should be a violation. If A1 was at the division line and through ball to opposite side of court, but still at division line. and the ball bounced once in the back court, then again in the front court what would you call?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:14am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
When A1 recovers the ball, what is its status?
Why is this important?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The violation is for Team A being the last to touch the ball while it had frontcourt status and being the first to touch the ball after it has gained a backcourt status. The play would be a backcourt violation
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that when the ball hits an official it is the same as hitting the floor, My confusion with this play is that the ball went to the backcourt and then bounced back to front court does it regain frontcourt status , by rule it seems to, but it to me seems like it still should be a violation.
If the ball is in the frontcourt and the player is in the frontcourt, why should it be a backcourt violation?
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:44am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
If the ball is in the frontcourt and the player is in the frontcourt, why should it be a backcourt violation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The violation is for Team A being the last to touch the ball while it had frontcourt status and being the first to touch the ball after it has gained a backcourt status.
what he said

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, back court violation. Last to touch can't be first to touch. Remember that rule and you'll be good.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

IOW as JAR said, status of the ball did not matter. What matters is who is first to touch the ball after it went to backcourt.

Last edited by Indianaref; Thu Dec 02, 2010 at 10:56am.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In my first year at camp, this sitch was posed:

A1 is trapped by two opponents and without a dribble available near the DL and the SL. B1 and B2 are both in A's FC, knowing that there is little-to-no strategic advantage to "be" in A's BC.

A2 is near the DL in the centre circle. A1 puts english on the ball and then projects the pass away from B1, to hit his BC, which then spins towards A2. A2 then catches the pass after the first bounce.

We all agreed that this is a violation.

The sitch was then modified so that A2 lets the ball bounce a second time: in the Team A FC, and only then does A2 catch the ball.

Many of us, very green, were surprised to learn of the correct ruling. Which is why we go to camp.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I think I am more confused, looks like half are saying that since the ball hit back in frontcourt it now has frontcourt status and in my play it would not be a violation, the other half say it is a violation. Does anyone have definite knowledge on this type of play? We had it in a scrimmage.
The bottom line is can a ball in any manner in a teams frontcourt, be last touched by the offense, go to the backcourt, and without being touched by a player, return to the frontcourt and be first touched by the offense? This would include a spun ball, or a ball that hits an official.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think I am more confused, looks like half are saying that since the ball hit back in frontcourt it now has frontcourt status and in my play it would not be a violation, the other half say it is a violation. Does anyone have definite knowledge on this type of play? We had it in a scrimmage.
The bottom line is can a ball in any manner in a teams frontcourt, be last touched by the offense, go to the backcourt, and without being touched by a player, return to the frontcourt and be first touched by the offense? This would include a spun ball, or a ball that hits an official.
Only one says it's not a violation, and that one is wrong. It's a violation. The location of the ball when it's touched isn't really relevant.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Only one says it's not a violation, and that one is wrong. It's a violation. The location of the ball when it's touched isn't really relevant.
I didn't say it was a violation. I only asked a question for clarification. Clarification was given.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I didn't say it was a violation. I only asked a question for clarification. Clarification was given.
LOL, fair enough.