The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 12:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Free throw positioning question

Can anyone tell me where in the NF rulebook or casebook does it specifically state that players along the FT lane cannot have their arms extended into the space next to them? I'm not talking about linking arms or contact, just having the arms in front of the other player. Thanks.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Can anyone tell me where in the NF rulebook or casebook does it specifically state that players along the FT lane cannot have their arms extended into the space next to them? I'm not talking about linking arms or contact, just having the arms in front of the other player. Thanks.
Nope; because it's not the rule.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I want to say it does, but I do not have a reference. We are told it is a lane violation.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSAA_Ref View Post
I want to say it does, but I do not have a reference. We are told it is a lane violation.
It is not a lane violation, as it's not illegal.

It's illegal to break the FT lane plane with your foot or leave your space by placing it in the opponent's space. Nothing illegal about extending your arm into either area.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are told incorrectly. Not a violation.

Casebook:

9.1 COMMENT: While Rule 8-1 clearly states which marked lane spaces must
be occupied and by whom, a team forfeits its right to any space not occupied
before the free throw starts (when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free
thrower). Once a free throw starts, no player occupying a marked lane space may
enter or leave such space or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane
or lane-space boundary until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the
free throw ends. Players who do not occupy a marked lane space may not have
either foot break the vertical plane of the free-throw-line extended and the vertical
plane of the three-point line until the ball touches the ring, or the backboard,
or the free throw ends. No player may enter or leave a marked lane space after
the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower until the restrictions have
ended as outlined.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Casebook:

before the free throw starts (when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free
enter or leave such space or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane
or lane-space boundary until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the
either foot break the vertical plane of the free-throw-line extended and the vertical
plane of the three-point line until the ball touches the ring, or the backboard,
the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower until the restrictions have
ended as outlined.
Or what I said in plain English.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Or what I said in plain English.
Sure, but he said he didn't have a reference. Now he does.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Casebook:

enter or leave such space
or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane
ended as outlined.
If "the space" is defined by the area within the marked lane space and the vertical planes created by the marked lane spaces, I'll make an argument that a player is leaving "the space" and "entering" a new space by moving parts of their body (i.e. torso, butt, arms, hands) outside of their marked space and into the space next to theirs.

I may be wrong, but I hate the idea of allowing kids to stick their arms across another lined up player. Patty cake and fouls soon follow.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smginnis View Post
If "the space" is defined by the area within the marked lane space and the vertical planes created by the marked lane spaces, I'll make an argument that a player is leaving "the space" and "entering" a new space by moving parts of their body (i.e. torso, butt, arms, hands) outside of their marked space and into the space next to theirs.

I may be wrong, but I hate the idea of allowing kids to stick their arms across another lined up player. Patty cake and fouls soon follow.
Your interp is not supported by rule or common sense. Do you leave your car by sticking your arm out the window?

If they commit a foul as a result of having their hands on each other, then call the foul. But don't make up violations because you don't like the existing rules.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by smginnis View Post

The rule very clearly states that breaking the plane with your foot is a violation. If they wanted it called like you do, they would simply state that breaking the plane is a violation.

Patty cake is easily stopped before fouls most of the time. If nothing else, and they both start engaging; call a double foul and play on. They'll get the message.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is I'll bring this up in the meeting and be yelled at. (Funny thing, when I get yelled at..I'm usually right!)
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The rule very clearly states that breaking the plane with your foot is a violation. If they wanted it called like you do, they would simply state that breaking the plane is a violation.

Patty cake is easily stopped before fouls most of the time. If nothing else, and they both start engaging; call a double foul and play on. They'll get the message.
Actually the word "or" makes that much LESS clear.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually the word "or" makes that much LESS clear.
I don't think it's unclear. You leave a space by entering another space, which you can't do by waving your hands. That's one way to violate.

OR, you can violate without leaving if you move your feet through the boundary of the space.

What's unclear?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 01:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
"Knock off the sword fights." You know what they are when you see them. But if there is no contact*, there is no violation. [This is more of a preventative measure when both players--usually girls--think their opponent is the six-fingered man]. There is a reason 'foot' or 'feet' is described in the rule.

*Not that there is a violation in this instance. Just preventative officiating. I still haven't figured out why players think they can jump higher with their arms outstretched.

Last edited by 26 Year Gap; Mon Nov 22, 2010 at 02:00pm.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think it's unclear. You leave a space by entering another space, which you can't do by waving your hands. That's one way to violate.

OR, you can violate without leaving if you move your feet through the boundary of the space.

What's unclear?
What is the need for BOTH then? I mean, if the ONLY way to leave the space is to put your foot in it, why the need for this, "Once a free throw starts, no player occupying a marked lane space may
enter or leave such space
or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane
free throw ends.