The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCapps View Post
Here in California we have a shot clock for high school.

This topic has been going round on our association "Forum,"

The violation occurs when it is determined that the ball does not hit the rim, but we have some who think that we should re-set the game clock to where it was when the shot clock sounded and the ball subsequenlty did not hit the rim. I disagree with that, but there is no specific interpretation regarding that issue.

Just looking for thoughts on this. We are contacting the state rules interpretor on this.

That's the NBA rule.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The violation occurs when it is determined that the ball does not hit the rim, but we have some who think that we should re-set the game clock to where it was when the shot clock sounded and the ball subsequenlty did not hit the rim. I disagree with that, but there is no specific interpretation regarding that issue.

Just looking for thoughts on this. We are contacting the state rules interpretor on this.
I'm reasonably certain that there's an NCAA AR on this point (and the answer is "do not re-set the clock.") I don't have time to look it up now.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Let's see, violations where team control does not exist, or where your team does not have control:

* Free throw violations by defense (Okay)
* Throw-in violations (NFHS rules) (I'm not understanding. Once the ball is at the team's disposal, the team is in control.)
* Reaching through the boundary on a throw-in (Not a violation, a technical foul)
* Leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason (Also a technical foul, not a violation)
* Kicking the ball (Okay)
* Striking ball with a fist (Okay)
* Ball entering basket from below (You'd have to be in control of the ball to make it go through the hoop)
* Jump ball violations (Okay)
* Basket interference (Okay)
* Goaltending (Okay)
* Excessive swinging of elbows (Doubting anyone without control of the ball is going to excessively swing elbows and it not be a foul, just saying.)

It seems that there are more than can occur without team control than those that actually require team control.
Want to continue? Because this is getting very old.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 03:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. There is no team control during a throw-in in NFHS rules.
2. DOG warnings are technically violations, the 2nd of which is enforced with a technical foul.
3. You really think a person has to be in control of the ball to make it go through the hoop? Would a person need to be in control to knock it out of bounds?
4. As for elbow swinging; the point isn't the potential or probability but the rule itself. Few of us have ever seen a player without the ball do it, but some have and I believe some on this board have even called it (rebounders for example.) Another example, one I gave in another thread, would be the thrower on a throwin doing it.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 03:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSAA_Ref View Post
Apparently not old enough b/c some of your reponses to Back in the Saddle are incorrect.

And this one:

Quote:
Excessive swinging of elbows (Doubting anyone without control of the ball is going to excessively swing elbows and it not be a foul, just saying.)
How about 2 guys battling for low post or rebouding position and one guy gets frustrated and swings his elbow to create space.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I do. You had some very, very basic errors in your rebuttal.

1) There is no player or team control during a throw-in, including when the ball is at the disposal of a team(NFHS case book play 4.12COMMENT)
2) Leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason IS a violation, NOT a technical foul. NFHS rule 9-3-3.
3) Having player or team control has nothing to do with it being a violation for making the ball enter the basket from below. It can go off a player's head on a rebound up through the basket and that is a violation. NFHS rule 9-4.
4) Similarly, the violation for swinging the elbows has got nuthin' to do wwith player or team control either. It might be unlikely, but even if no player or team control is involved it's still a violation to swing your elbows without hitting someone.

Reading time!
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't take it personally. It's not about being right or wrong. I see you're new, so I thought I would share that the value of this board (for me) is the wealth of knowledge and experience of others, and the willingness for them to help us improve rule knowledge.

Hopefully you will recognize the thorough responses provide you with the relevant information you need. This info might serve you better than than throwing around terms like 'control' and 'violation' without a strong understanding of how they are defined in the rulebook.

I consider myself experienced, but always learn something new about the rules that gives me more confidence to take to the court.

Welcome to the boards, and keep on posting.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NCAA Casebook Rule 2 A.R. 33 should cover this issue.....