The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

UNC/URI shot clock violation...? Or not

Late 2nd half- URI with the ball. Shot clock near 0 when shot goes up- airball. URI rebounds as shot clock expires- the ball is in URI's hands as the shot clock expires. URI player goes up for shot and gets fouled. URI put on the line for 2 shots.

Announcers simply called it an act of shooting foul. It seemed like a shot clock violation to me, but perhaps I'm wrong and the foul was prior to the violation...?

Anybody notice that? Seems to me that it should have been a violation and UNC ball instead of 2 shots.... As always, I could be wrong....

Z
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

zeedonk -- you are correct.

there was a shot taken by a URI post player from the FT line that was partially blocked, as the ball came down, a UNC and URI player both batted the ball (while reaching for it) and the ball struck the underside of the rim. it then was grabbed by a URI player who was then fouled.

after the ball struck the rim, the shot clock horn sounded, and then the whistle blew for the foul. the officials did not call a shot clock violation and proceed to award the two FT's.

by rule, this SHOULD have been a shot clock violation. in NCAA, the shot clock is only to be reset when a SHOT attempt hits the rim. if the ball hits the rim for any other reason (i.e. a pass, a deflection, a fumble, etc.), then the shot clock is not to be reset.

unfortuately, this situation happens often - ball hits the rim and shot clock is reset whether it is a shot or not. this is one of several rules that should be changed to mirror the NBA rule (which is the shot clock is reset ANYTIME the ball hits the rim).

the officials missed this one (as well as the trip w/ :02 seconds left!).
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
the officials missed this one (as well as the trip w/ :02 seconds left!).
Yeah, that poor UNC player was tripped and pushed into the RI player; good no call though.
A3 pushes B1 into A1 who is dribbling the ball causing A1 to trip. I'm not calling a foul on B1.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, that poor UNC player was tripped and pushed into the RI player; good no call though.
A3 pushes B1 into A1 who is dribbling the ball causing A1 to trip. I'm not calling a foul on B1.
you and everyone else on the other thread who think that the UNC was shoved to the floor are seeing things that just aren't there.....

foul should have been called sending URI to the FT line...
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
you and everyone else on the other thread who think that the UNC was shoved to the floor are seeing things that just aren't there.....

foul should have been called sending URI to the FT line...
And you're missing the obvious. The bottom video on the blog displays a still with the URI players' hands on the UNC player. Of course, it's easy to dissect this on replay.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently no one has noticed the right hand of the Tar Heel player that causes the issue? I watched the whole play and he doesn't come near the ball but just near the RI players leg. I must be seeing something different than most others?