The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Violation?

I saw this the other night on ESPN Game -
Team a has the ball time winding down - Player A1 drives the baseline and launches the ball toward the basket from directly below the rim. In this case I am not sure that the ball hit the rim. They went to the monitor but did not reset the shot clock- it remained a 2 sec.
The question is - if the ball came from below and entered the cylinder hiting the rim does the shot clock reset?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I saw this the other night on ESPN Game -
Team a has the ball time winding down - Player A1 drives the baseline and launches the ball toward the basket from directly below the rim. In this case I am not sure that the ball hit the rim. They went to the monitor but did not reset the shot clock- it remained a 2 sec.
The question is - if the ball came from below and entered the cylinder hiting the rim does the shot clock reset?
I'll answer for NCAA rules because they actually have a shot clock and rules for it.

Two things:
1. The cylinder has the ring as its lower base. There is no part of the cylinder below the ring.

2. In order for the shot clock to reset the ball must strike the ring ON A TRY for goal. A pass or deflection or throw-in which hits the ring will not cause a reset. It is up to the judgment of the official whether the player was trying for goal or not.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Okay lets reword it for your satisfaction.
If the ball come from below the rim on a try, rises through the cylinder from the bottom and strikes the rim would the shot clock reset?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the ball come from below the rim on a try, rises through the cylinder from the bottom and strikes the rim would the shot clock reset?
Isn't this a violation? Doesn't the ball go to the defense? Why wouldn't the clock be reset on a turnover?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm still having difficulty with your meaning.
By "rises through the cylinder from the bottom" do you mean that the ball passed through the ring from below?
If so, that is a violation by the last player who touched the ball. The opponent is awarded a throw-in.

I just don't see how the ball could enter the cylinder from the bottom since the ring IS its lower base.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Isn't this a violation? Doesn't the ball go to the defense? Why wouldn't the clock be reset on a turnover?
Shoo...Shoo... Jim. Stop butting in with the right answer.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I thought so -
I also thought that the ball actually broke the plane of the rim - weather it touched the rim or not I think they missed something here.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:39pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
I thought so -
I also thought that the ball actually broke the plane of the rim - weather it touched the rim or not I think they missed something here.
Breaking the plane of the ring/basket from below with the ball is not a violation, in and of itself. For the violation to be called the ball must pass through the basket, I believe. (NFHS 9-4)(NCAA 9-6)

I've actually seen something like this happen twice in the last two months in college games I've been at (watching - I don't have my college stripes just yet). The officials got together in both situations to confer on whether or not a try had touched the rim following the ball being up in the net/near the rim, etc. - and, IMO, they got it right both times (as did the shot clock operator, both times, to their credit).
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Breaking the plane of the ring/basket from below with the ball is not a violation, in and of itself. For the violation to be called the ball must pass through the basket, I believe. (NFHS 9-4)(NCAA 9-6)
It is correct that the ball must pass through the basket from below for this to be a violation. However, there is much debate as to the interpretation of what exactly that means.

1. Does the top of the ball have to rise above the level of the ring?
2. Does the bottom of the ball have to rise above the level of the ring?
3. Must the ball entirely clear the net, if the net was pushed up on top of the ball?
4. If the net is no longer suspended below the ring is it still part of the basket?