The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

debate between me and another

I had a debate with one of my officiating buddies. He was told about this situation by another official who had this situation.

with just a few seconds left in the second quarter, A1 has the ball and is going for a layup. B1 fouls A1 just as the time expires. The shot is good. In frustration for being fouled, A1 gets up and slams the wall, resulting in a technical foul. The referees gave A1 his one free throw, and then gave team B two technical free throws for the technical foul. After this, it was halftime.

Here is where the debate comes in. How do you start the next quarter? Is it a throw-in for B as a result for the technical foul on A1 and do not switch the arrow? Or, do you go to the arrow?

I'm not going into how my buddy and I debated this out, as we had like a 30 minute debate on this. I just want to know what you guys think and then I will go back to my buddy to say what y'all said. I also emailed our Rules Interpreter to see what he had to say.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 5, Section 6, Article 2

Exceptions:

3. If a foul occurs so near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires, but while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal. The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from the one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified. No free throw(s) shall be attempted after time has expired for the fourth quarter or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.

Bolded portion was my own emphasis. Start the next quarter using the arrow.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Penalties do not carry over from one period to the next.
The period is not over until all penalties are completed (the FT for the shooting foul), so A1's technical foul is part of the 2nd quarter.
Third quarter stars with an AP throwin.

Now, if there had been no shooting foul, and A1 committed a technical foul after the horn sounded, then the third quarter would start with the free throws for team B.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Penalties do not carry over from one period to the next.
The period is not over until all penalties are completed (the FT for the shooting foul), so A1's technical foul is part of the 2nd quarter.
Third quarter stars with an AP throwin.

Now, if there had been no shooting foul, and A1 committed a technical foul after the horn sounded, then the third quarter would start with the free throws for team B.
This is exactly what I thought. My buddy was saying that you still have to penalize the team by giving B the ball regardless of where the arrow is. I called BS on that and apparently I was right. Thanks!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 12:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The key is knowing you can't carry penalties over from one quarter to another; and knowing when the quarter ends.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
This is exactly what I thought. My buddy was saying that you still have to penalize the team by giving B the ball regardless of where the arrow is. I called BS on that and apparently I was right. Thanks!
Seems that your buddy knows even less about the rules than you do.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Seems that your buddy knows even less about the rules than you do.
Gratuitous. We're all learning.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 07:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And the subsequent throw-in after the FT's is for the "T", not an AP throw-in. And the team A head coach gets an indirect "T" and seat-belted.

You knew all that. Just throwing it in for maybe somebody who wasn't sure.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

my take

Eventhough the time has expired the quarter has not ended. Rule 5.6.3 "The quarter ends when all related activity has been completed" Eventhough time has expired, we have two foul shots coming up which is related to the activity ending the 2nd quarter. So the technical is part of the 2nd quarter. Administer the Foul shots administer the Tech shots, start half time and begin the 3rd q with AP throw in as usual. The tech happened as part of the 2nd Q so we cannot carry over a penalty, which is why team A cannot have the ball to begin the 3rd q.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Gratuitous. We're all learning.
Yep, it was. I still harbor ill feelings towards that poster from his previous postings on this forum and the know-it-all attitude which he has displayed.

If he will admit that he is not very experienced and still learning many of the rules, I'll cease taking shots at him.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yep, it was. I still harbor ill feelings towards that poster from his previous postings on this forum and the know-it-all attitude which he has displayed.

If he will admit that he is not very experienced and still learning many of the rules, I'll cease taking shots at him.
Good Lord, you Sicilians really cherish your vendettas, don't ya?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Good Lord, you Sicilians really cherish your vendettas, don't ya?
Never go in against a Sicilian when death rules are on the line!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

And watch out for that lupara!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 10:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

anybody want a peanut?
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 12:46am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
anybody want a peanut?
Not much protection against a sawed-off shotgun, d'ya think?